The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 27, 2021, 09:04:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 27, 2021, 09:04:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Moving meditation & exercise, etc?  (Read 7076 times)
KHarkless
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 24, 2011, 02:49:02 am
United States United States

Religion: scientific pantheism, of sorts

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 26, 2009, 02:41:21 am »

So...I am one of those people who cannot meditate without having something to think about. I can't turn my brain off; it will get distracted by even the slightest change in environment. I recently spent several months working in a very remote area that was also exceedingly quiet--during the day, I could rest assured knowing there was not another human being within a 5-mile radius, most of the time even more. I would try to meditate sometimes, when it wasn't too hot and the wind was still, and it was the quietest place you could possibly conceive of--yet I'd still get distracted, if not by my own thoughts (and I was extremely un-stressed then), then by the extremely faint sound of a rare car on the highway 7 miles away, or a slight change in air pressure. Needless to say, since I normally live in a large city, tuning out all senses is pretty difficult and I have a hard time meditating. Yoga classes are kind of a wash for me; I stare at the floor and think about the floorboards too much during the meditations.

Anyway, I do exercise a lot. Some of it requires a fair amount of concentration (bike commuting, f'ex) but when I'm at the gym, I can get into a good rhythm on the treadmill or cross-trainer, put on some music, close my eyes, and completely zone out--and after a while I get a hit of endorphins, so happy times, it's a bit of an ecstatic state, but I don't know what to do with it. I think it has something to do with the rhythmic motion, though, as the other times I've reached the same state have either been when I'm dancing or singing.

Hmmm. So I guess I'm asking, does anyone do any kind of meditation while moving or immediately afterward? What do you focus on? Suggestions for resources? Similar experiences? Any thoughts are welcome. Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Driven by Dreams
Journeyman
Last Login:December 18, 2011, 10:11:07 pm

Religion: Absurdism

From LiveJournal Community: Cat_Macros

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 26, 2009, 09:05:27 am »

I guess I'm asking, does anyone do any kind of meditation while moving or immediately afterward? What do you focus on? Suggestions for resources? Similar experiences? Any thoughts are welcome. Smiley

Singing and playing music is a big part of my meditiations. It took a long time for me to be able to even attempt silent meditation. I'd suggest looking into Tai Chi. From what little I know about the philosophy behind it, it's big on channeling and moving energy and the slow, controlled movements might help keep your brain chatter occupied.

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 26, 2009, 10:01:02 am »

Singing and playing music is a big part of my meditiations. It took a long time for me to be able to even attempt silent meditation. I'd suggest looking into Tai Chi. From what little I know about the philosophy behind it, it's big on channeling and moving energy and the slow, controlled movements might help keep your brain chatter occupied.

I also suck at sitting meditation, although I do try and do some every day. But I love this
http://www.gabrielleroth.com/

There are 5Rhythms studios all over the world. It's the best moving meditation I've even found, besides yoga.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
firefly124
Journeyman
Last Login:January 24, 2011, 05:35:40 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: firefly124

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 26, 2009, 10:38:41 am »

So I guess I'm asking, does anyone do any kind of meditation while moving or immediately afterward? What do you focus on? Suggestions for resources? Similar experiences? Any thoughts are welcome. Smiley

It's probably not all that unusual to do so with yoga, which I do.  When I'm being all organized and disciplined, I do sun salutations in the morning and moon salutations at night as part of my morning and evening meditations.  And even at the gym, I find the movements meditative in and of themselves, plus there's time specifically for meditation at the end, though they often spoil it by trying to do a bunch of guided stuff when I pretty much just want to peace out.

"[L]ive as though the world were what it should be, to show it what it can be." -- Angel, "Deep Down"
Bastemhet
Master Member
Last Login:July 29, 2012, 07:48:38 am

Religion: Reformed Kemetic

May She smile upon me always.

Blog entries (0)

http://www.facebook.com/h

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 26, 2009, 08:51:26 pm »

From what I know, the point of meditation is not to zone out but to tune in.  You're not supposed to ignore everything and think nothing, because that's impossible.  Meditation is just an exercise of noticing. 

What you may try is sitting cross-legged on the floor, or on a chair if you have back problems.  Relax and just notice your breath.  If thoughts distract you to the point that you get hooked and 5 minutes go by without you realizing, gently notice that you are thinking, and let the thought float away.  Return to your breath.  Let yourself hear everything going around you, but don't punish yourself if you drift off.  Always come back to the breath.  If you find yourself hooked again, don't push the thought away with violence, just notice you were hooked and let it float away.  This will happen  many times within the span of a few minutes. Smiley 

If there are times when you start thinking about a memory that has been especially painful or angering to you, and find it impossible to let it go, let yourself sit and feel all the emotion this memory brings you, be present in it, don't push it away and try to ignore it.  What matters most is being in the moment.  Let yourself ride it out until you can finally let the memory go and come back to your breath. 

I suggest you start out with only 5 minutes a day, and if you find you can sit longer, go ahead and do so.  This isn't a contest, this is something you are doing for yourself, so don't push yourself to do more or grade yourself on how well you sat that day.  There will always be different opportunities.

The point of this is not only relaxation, but noticing the tendency of our minds to never be present.  We always want to be in the past, in the future, or in a reality of our making.  If we accept the reality we are in at the present moment, we will be on our way to letting go of rejection and judgment.  This will ultimately bring peace.

TisiphoneSeraph
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:27:49 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch
TCN ID: TisiphoneSeraph

Dreams speak the truth we dare not seek

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 26, 2009, 10:11:14 pm »

Hmmm. So I guess I'm asking, does anyone do any kind of meditation while moving or immediately afterward? What do you focus on? Suggestions for resources? Similar experiences? Any thoughts are welcome. Smiley

I'm no good at silent meditation either. I almost always have to have guided or moving.

In the winter when it was harder to get outside, I would walk/run on my mom's treadmill for an hour a day. I would set on some music that wouldn't distract me and after I got into a rhythm I would focus on a color starting with red and working my way through the rainbow, ending with white. I would run for as long as I could focus on white then do my cool down as I went back down through the rainbow.

I got the color meditation from the Meditation Podcast which is supposed to work well for sleep, but it worked equally well for getting my mind out of the equation as I exercised, kind of a chance to reboot. Helped me get to sleep faster too.

There are days when I'll ask everyone not to bother me for a while, turn on some music, and lose myself to dancing. That works well too.
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 26, 2009, 11:02:49 pm »

There are days when I'll ask everyone not to bother me for a while, turn on some music, and lose myself to dancing. That works well too.

you would *love the 5 rhythms, I bet

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 27, 2009, 03:38:20 am »

I'd suggest looking into Tai Chi. From what little I know about the philosophy behind it, it's big on channeling and moving energy and the slow, controlled movements might help keep your brain chatter occupied.
That or maybe Kung Fu? In your case I'd go for a school which focuses on forms/performances rather than combat training. There's a certain spiritual focus in going through a form/performance. Every form has its own spirit you connect to while practicing it and you seem to enjoy stuff with harder physical work. Taiji Quan goes a similar way, but it's mostly practiced slow and meditative (unless you go for Chen style). Kung Fu has more of an ecstatic component in my experience. It's all very controlled though. If you are interested in pure ecstacy you might want to look into trance-dance or something similar. But the controll in martial arts is very good if you're inexperienced IMO or need the controll for other reasons.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
MannyAnalogue
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 28, 2011, 11:52:33 am

Religion: -

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 28, 2009, 10:33:17 pm »

So...I am one of those people who cannot meditate without having something to think about. I can't turn my brain off; it will get distracted by even the slightest change in environment. I recently spent several months working in a very remote area that was also exceedingly quiet--during the day, I could rest assured knowing there was not another human being within a 5-mile radius, most of the time even more. I would try to meditate sometimes, when it wasn't too hot and the wind was still, and it was the quietest place you could possibly conceive of--yet I'd still get distracted, if not by my own thoughts (and I was extremely un-stressed then), then by the extremely faint sound of a rare car on the highway 7 miles away, or a slight change in air pressure. Needless to say, since I normally live in a large city, tuning out all senses is pretty difficult and I have a hard time meditating. Yoga classes are kind of a wash for me; I stare at the floor and think about the floorboards too much during the meditations.

Anyway, I do exercise a lot. Some of it requires a fair amount of concentration (bike commuting, f'ex) but when I'm at the gym, I can get into a good rhythm on the treadmill or cross-trainer, put on some music, close my eyes, and completely zone out--and after a while I get a hit of endorphins, so happy times, it's a bit of an ecstatic state, but I don't know what to do with it. I think it has something to do with the rhythmic motion, though, as the other times I've reached the same state have either been when I'm dancing or singing.

KHarkless

I bought a book a few years ago called T'ai Chi Ch'uan & Meditation by Da Liu that I just started reading a few nights ago.

From what I can see so far, the author's point is that both meditation and exercise benefit from one another and work much more effectively from using them back and forth. He says that after physical exercise the mind is calm and clear and that that is the best time for meditation with the least distractions and likewise after meditation your energy is up and you're eager to be active. (Sorry if I'm repeating myself).

Anyways, I read your post and thought the book might be useful to you too. You should look it up, maybe it can help.

Good Luck.

- Manny
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 29, 2009, 02:57:46 am »

Anyways, I read your post and thought the book might be useful to you too. You should look it up, maybe it can help.
I wouldn't try to learn it from a book because it's hard to correct your own postures and difficult to correct mistakes you've taught yourself later. It's not too hard to find a class where you could learn it.

MannyAnalogue
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 30, 2009, 12:53:39 am »

I wouldn't try to learn it from a book because it's hard to correct your own postures and difficult to correct mistakes you've taught yourself later. It's not too hard to find a class where you could learn it.

Waldfrau

I didn't mean learning T'ai Chi from the book so much as that the author lists reasons for difficulty meditating and gives advice on how to improve meditation(as well as rundowns on different kinds of meditation). The author doesn't suggest T'ai Chi only, just exercise in general to aid in meditation.

Hopefully this didn't come off as defensive, I just wanted to make myself clear or correct myself if I sounded like I meant something different.

- Manny
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 30, 2009, 01:36:05 am »

I didn't mean learning T'ai Chi from the book so much as that the author lists reasons for difficulty meditating and gives advice on how to improve meditation(as well as rundowns on different kinds of meditation). The author doesn't suggest T'ai Chi only, just exercise in general to aid in meditation.
Yeah, you didn't say that, but you didn't say the opposite either, so I just wanted to advise against it. No offense meant. I've taught Taiji Chuan and I can't imagine a beginner learning only from a book.

KHarkless
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 24, 2011, 02:49:02 am

Religion: scientific pantheism, of sorts

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 30, 2009, 02:43:29 am »

KHarkless

I bought a book a few years ago called T'ai Chi Ch'uan & Meditation by Da Liu that I just started reading a few nights ago.

From what I can see so far, the author's point is that both meditation and exercise benefit from one another and work much more effectively from using them back and forth. He says that after physical exercise the mind is calm and clear and that that is the best time for meditation with the least distractions and likewise after meditation your energy is up and you're eager to be active. (Sorry if I'm repeating myself).

Good Luck.

- Manny

Thanks, this is actually the sort of thing I was looking for. The other problem I often have with trying to meditate is that I'll attempt to be free of distractions by doing it right before bed. I do tend to be less distracted then, but then I find myself falling asleep. Having more energy is probably a good idea.  Smiley
MannyAnalogue
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 30, 2009, 03:36:54 pm »

Yeah, you didn't say that, but you didn't say the opposite either, so I just wanted to advise against it. No offense meant. I've taught Taiji Chuan and I can't imagine a beginner learning only from a book.

Waldfrau

No harm done.

But I have to admit that I myself am reading the book with the intentions of practicing T'ai Chi myself  Lips sealed .

I'm happy to hear your opinion on that being as you taught it. Maybe I won't try and teach myself, but I don't know. I can't afford to take classes for anything now and I'm not sure if they're even being taught around where I live. I know they teach yoga classes, but it's mostly upper middleclass house wives, and I wouldn't feel comfortable there even if I could afford it.

Thanks, this is actually the sort of thing I was looking for. The other problem I often have with trying to meditate is that I'll attempt to be free of distractions by doing it right before bed. I do tend to be less distracted then, but then I find myself falling asleep. Having more energy is probably a good idea.  Smiley

Kharkless

No problem mana. So far the book has put some things into perspective for me and changed the way I thought of both meditation and exercise. Da Liu makes some very good points.

My situation was almost opposite . . . I started trying to meditate to calm my thoughts so I could overcome my insomnia  Cheesy. My body would be exhausted, but my mind was still racing.

Good luck.

- Manny
RhiannaRaven
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 19, 2010, 01:55:20 pm

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 30, 2009, 05:21:41 pm »

I suggest Tai Chi as well.  I know several people who can not meditate the standard way.  Tai Chi works well for them because they get the benifit of the meditation and the benifit of being active at the same time

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)