The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 16, 2021, 08:02:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2021, 08:02:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Divination exchange organizing thread  (Read 31917 times)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 28, 2009, 05:06:23 pm »

***Please note:  Full instructions for participating in the Divination Exchange can be found here.***

In this thread we've got the idea to do divination for each other as a learning experience. This thread is to organize this project. We're currently discussing how to do it exactly and I think we could start it in the course of the week.

I'm reposting the last post so we don't hijack the thread we started off anylonger.

After more thoughts I think it's better to post the reading requests and offers from readers and seekers in one thread so we don't loose the overview when new threads in the SIG are posted. I think we'll better post separate threads for the actual divinations so the different cases don't get in the way of each other (just easier to read). And there's the problem of threads without fresh posts sinking down, so the 'organizing thread' will be much easier to find if it isn't split into two. Divinations which are no longer actual will sink down then. But they are still easier to find as threads for afterward reviews than posts cluttered about one big divination thread. So my plan is this:

- one organizing thread for requests, offers, infos and discussion about organizations
- separate threads for every new case

I hope this sounds okay for the forum. I'd like to get 'green light' from a moderator first, because it could potentially 'spam' the SIG with a new thread just about one reading every other day. If this is a problem we could alternativly discuss all readings in one big thread (like Marilyn did), but it might get difficult to read with various diviners answering to various requests at the same time. IMO the practicality of it depends on how much traffic there'll be. I don't want this to become an annoyance for other members being active in the SIG without interest in the divination exchange project.

If we proceed this thread will become the thread for requests and offerings. I think anyone who offers to do divination might want to post a quick intro with his/her first offer:

- sorts of divination you do (scrying? which sort of? cards? which cards?)

- maybe specific methods (You do only the celtic cross? You don't do love questions, etc...?)

- your experiences (You're experienced in a specific system? You're a beginner, just wanting to experiment? You're trying out a new system?)

- your current shedule (Busy work life, need several days to answer, you'll just drop in when you have time etc...)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 08:55:33 am by Star, Reason: Adding note pointing to full instructions. » Logged

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 28, 2009, 05:09:48 pm »

In that one animal communication forum I was active it was organized similar.
There was a (a few in fact) request folder. Like 'Sick Animal' or 'Lost Animal'.
People would post the story and the pic there. And then there was the feedback folder.
The threads got linked with each other. Like: Here to the feedback. Or: Here to the request.

If a public reading is ok with the querent, you could post the link to the reading-thread in the organization thread and vice versa.
If that's ok with the mods, I think this would work. Also it would be good to close a request with: answered by pm, for example.
So that it is clear it was not ignored.

I think that's a good idea. Smiley

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #2: June 28, 2009, 05:21:47 pm »

Okey, I'll start. Because I should go to bed and I need a reason to procrastinate.  Cheesy

I use the cards. All the ones I got if need be.
I do a bit Tarot, Lenormand and have a variety of different oracle decks that can be used alone, but also have been proven useful in combination with the Tarot for example. What cards to use, depends on the question I guess.

- maybe specific methods (You do only the celtic cross? You don't do love questions, etc...?)

I do the Grand Tableau with the Lenormand, 4 and 5 card crosses and a spread I 'invented' myself with ten cards.
These are the ones I do most often. Again depends on the question.

- your experiences (You're experienced in a specific system? You're a beginner, just wanting to experiment? You're trying out a new system?)

I've used Tarot and the oracle cards I own for years, but almost always for myself. To the Lenormand I'm rather new.
So this is kind of a training for myself. So I beg pardon in advance if I'm fishing a bit in muddy waters sometimes Wink

- your current shedule (Busy work life, need several days to answer, you'll just drop in when you have time etc...)

I'm really busy, but I'll be online almost every day and I just would take the time for a reading at the weekends.
Contact is possible via the thread, pm or email via profile.

EDIT totally off topic: didn't know the forum counted in    leet (1337) - just saw my post count  Grin

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 28, 2009, 05:29:47 pm »

If there are going to  be multiple readers, do we want to 'claim' a request in the request thread to avoid duplication?  I'm kind of curious about how duplication would work out, actually, not only in seeing a response from a card reader and a rune reader and a scryer, but seeing more than one of any of the above as well, since different readers have different techniques and focuses.
I'd really like to try it out as general divination exchange, meaning diviner A could read cards and diviner B could scry in a water filled bowl. I think it will be interesting to exchange results of different methods. Then it's better IMO not to 'claim' a request, but to keep it open for several diviners so we get an exchange of different perspectives - unless the seeker does explicitely want to get only one perspective by a specific diviner/divination method.

We might also improve the project as we go along if we encounter difficulties or new ideas. I think it's a learning experience for all of us and we develop new strategies as we go along.

I will put my name in as an available reader, but for the next week or so, and for a week at the end of July I will be busy with huge guest invasions.  The rest of the time I should be able to look in.  Since moving I've only got personal clients when I go back home.  I'm glad I had that practice online because it is mostly what I do these days.  My private clients have to come first of course, but I see this thread as a chance to practice without pressure or payment, and a chance to try different spreads and decks.
I'm really glad you, as someone who has done something similar before, are with us. Smiley

I would also suggest a third thread, for people who are learning or practicing but would like tips or alternate interpretations.  We've had that from time to time, where someone will post a spread they've thrown and ask for help reading it.  This might be a good idea for beginning readers who aren't quite ready to go it alone, a way to 'check their work', so to speak.  I guess it would be kind of a teaching thread, but very informal, with suggestions and Q&A instead of lessons.
That's a good idea. Part of it could occur in the separate threads for the separate cases. If we have one thread for every single reading we have a lot of room for discussing this from the viewpoint of various experienced and inexperienced members. An additional thread for general questions would be good. I think this should be concentrated to specific divination systems. I guess the biggest group will be Tarot and other related card divinations. Maybe you could start that one? (Doesn't mean you're the only one and responsible for tending to the 'ducklings', but it would be a good start.)

Maybe someone else wants to start 'tutor'-threads for rune reading or scrying?

Generally I can give some of this stuff the first shot, but I'm a green beginner in reading for others and don't have that much experience in reading for myself either. So if anything doesn't work out, I hope no one hesitates to post critic and suggestions.

Driven by Dreams
Journeyman
Last Login:December 18, 2011, 10:11:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: Absurdism

From LiveJournal Community: Cat_Macros

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 28, 2009, 09:01:43 pm »

I'd really like to try it out as general divination exchange, meaning diviner A could read cards and diviner B could scry in a water filled bowl. I think it will be interesting to exchange results of different methods. Then it's better IMO not to 'claim' a request, but to keep it open for several diviners so we get an exchange of different perspectives - unless the seeker does explicitely want to get only one perspective by a specific diviner/divination method.
I second this. I think it will be really interesting to compare readings on the same subject from different readers.

I think anyone who offers to do divination might want to post a quick intro with his/her first offer:

I'd be glad to contribute readings. I mainly do card readings with regular playing cards. My main reading is a three card reading, not quite past, present, future, but more like different facets of a situation. I do love readings too, where there's a card for each person's current situation, one card for possible challenges and another for positive factors. I've been reading playing cards for about 8 years now, but I'm experimenting with a newer, more complex set of symbols and combonations, so I do two versions using the old and new.

I'm leaving on a trip in July, so response time might be a few days to a week and after July 11th I'll be totally unreachable until about the end of July.

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 28, 2009, 09:30:41 pm »

I second this. I think it will be really interesting to compare readings on the same subject from different readers.

yes, I've found this to be the case. In my coven we sometimes do different forms of divination together. Recently we did tea leaves, which I was not very good at, but some of the other people were. It is really useful to get different perspectives on the same reading.

I'll go. I'm fairly available right now, as it's summer time, that may change when school starts up in the fall. I read tarot pretty well, I can scry in fire and water and occasionally stones. I am quite handy with a pendulum. I love the I Ching, and I think I might be the only person on TC who does that,  at any rate the last time I checked it was only me and Randall.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Kittiann
Apprentice
Last Login:July 10, 2013, 02:31:46 pm

Religion: Agnostic Taoist

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 29, 2009, 12:43:23 am »

I would also suggest a third thread, for people who are learning or practicing but would like tips or alternate interpretations.  We've had that from time to time, where someone will post a spread they've thrown and ask for help reading it.  This might be a good idea for beginning readers who aren't quite ready to go it alone, a way to 'check their work', so to speak.  I guess it would be kind of a teaching thread, but very informal, with suggestions and Q&A instead of lessons.

I also LOVE this idea.  I've been doing divination for some time, but I'm just not that great at it.  I tend towards the 'dabbler' side of things; so I have experience with the I Ching, Tarot, Runes, and Ogham, but I'm just not very knowledgeable about any specific one.

I love the I Ching, and I think I might be the only person on TC who does that,  at any rate the last time I checked it was only me and Randall.

Oooh, me too, me too!  I found the I Ching at the back of a dusty old small-town library some ten years ago now, and it was my gateway to everything esoteric.  It still holds a very special place in my heart, and it's the system I have the most experience with.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #7: June 29, 2009, 02:31:46 am »

Formally throwing my hat in the ring:

I read tarot cards, mainly.  Occasionally I do some other stuff, and if I get an unsourced impression during a reading I will include it just in case it's relevant.

I tend to use formal spreads, either classic or personal, and which spread I use depends on what question is asked.  I will read for any question, but I will put exactly what the cards tell me, so if the answer isn't positive or reassuring it's not my fault. Cheesy

I'm 47 now, I started learning at 19 and started reading professionally at 25, so.... (I suck at math) I guess I have 20-odd years of 'real' experience at reading for random strangers.  I have several decks I use but my prime is a Mary Roberts and my teaching or shadowing deck is a Morgan Greer, both of which are Rider-Waite systems.

My guests are going home tomorrow, and my husband is going back to work next week, so I will have lots of time on my hands.  I will have a week at the end of July / beginning of August where a family gathering will have priority.  I generally have a pretty quick response time for online readings.

If I start breaking in a new deck, or trying out a spread for the first time, I will say so when I post the reading, because both of these things can affect my accuracy.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
stardancer
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2012, 08:06:43 am
Norway Norway

Religion: Devotee of Gaia and Pan, and Athena

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 29, 2009, 06:33:49 am »

1) Tarot; Thoth, rider-waite, witches' kabbalah, shapeshifter. Depends on the type of question.
Runes; I'm a beginner here, and I need to practice, so a thread like this is great.
Astrology; general background information, but will require personal information that is best delivered by PM (date, time, place of birth and place of residence). I won't be doing full horoscopes here, but some relevant large transits for example that could be influencing whatever events are going on.

2) Depends on the system. For tarot I usually do the Celtic cross or a three card spread. For runes either three, or a free/intuitive/see where they fall kind of spread. Astrology as mentioned above.

3) Astrology; 20 years (5 y professional), Tarot ca 10-15 years (mostly private), Runes started 2-3 years ago.

4) I will be on the forum practically daily (- 10 day holiday at the end of July), and will respond when I have the time, which may be daily, or every second or third day.

Stardancer

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 29, 2009, 08:40:55 am »

Hi, I'm Waldfrau.  Cheesy

I'm learning Tarot since 8 years for myself and have only done very few readings for friends. I regularly do full readings for myself around every new moon. Mostly general stuff about personal development in the next month, but I also do readings for specific questions. I mostly work with the celtic cross and the Robin Wood Tarot (RW-based) there.

I'm currently trying out two non-Tarot decks: The Druid Animal Oracle (http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/druid-animal-oracle/) and the Mythic Oracle (http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/mythic-oracle/). The Animal Oracle I only use for one-card-draws if you're looking for what kind of attitude/guidance you need for a specific time/situation. The Mythic Oracle can be used like this too, but it has its own elaborated spread system depending on the question/situation.

I'll have more time in July, so I will be online nearly daily. Readings might take a few days.

So, who wants to be the first guinea pig? Of course we can also read for each other.

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 29, 2009, 09:50:21 am »

Oooh, me too, me too!  I found the I Ching at the back of a dusty old small-town library some ten years ago now, and it was my gateway to everything esoteric.  It still holds a very special place in my heart, and it's the system I have the most experience with.

Cool! Another I Ching person  Smiley

I forgot to say my experience. I learned from my mom when I was a teenager, and I've been reading tarot  and I Ching for myself, mostly, for about 30 years, I guess. I'm better at I Ching than tarot, and only started seriously studying the cards about 5 years ago. I'm pretty much self-taught, from books and my mom.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #11: June 29, 2009, 12:07:31 pm »

I'd really like to try it out as general divination exchange, meaning diviner A could read cards and diviner B could scry in a water filled bowl. I think it will be interesting to exchange results of different methods.

I think this could be especially interesting with Lenormand and Tarot.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 29, 2009, 03:14:32 pm »

So, who wants to be the first guinea pig? Of course we can also read for each other.

Umm. I'd be interested if y'all would like. I might also join in with doing a few readings for folks later as I use the tarot a fair bit, but mostly for personal mediation/brain-storming as opposed to actual divination so I'm going to watch for a while before diving in on that side of things.

As far as being a guinea pig goes, would y'all prefer to do general readings or have a specific question? I'm open to either. I'm pretty new to divination and have never had any done for me so I'm considering this as kind of an opportunity for a learning experience for me also. Life is also at a point where I'd be really interested in seeing what a divination shows.

Anyway, whether for a question or general reading, what sort of info would y'all need from me? And if it's a question, how specific would you like it to be?

Oh, and I'm interested in any form of divination you feel like using.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 29, 2009, 03:26:36 pm »

Umm. I'd be interested if y'all would like.

Ooo and me too. Any form of divination is fine, I need all the guidance I can get.  Wink

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 29, 2009, 03:43:59 pm »

I'll be one. Life is also at a point where a bit of divination would be interesting. Like Kasmira said, do you want specific questions or more general focus? What all do you need from me?

Somehow I totally missed all this, but I'd love to skulk around and see how this goes. I'm only somewhat confident in reading (tarot and ogam) for myself, but I've been trying to strengthen my skills lately. I may dip my hand in a couple of times and give my own readings, but I'll let ya'll know for sure.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)