The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 12, 2021, 08:15:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 12, 2021, 08:15:03 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Offerings?  (Read 5304 times)
Yami_Ranpu
Apprentice
Last Login:July 19, 2012, 03:39:56 pm
United States United States

Religion: Following The Lady of the Stars, and The Son of The Sea
TCN ID: Yami_Ranpu

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 02, 2009, 07:36:51 pm »

(I really hope this is the right place)

Now, I know that offerings varry from God(dess) to God(dess), but thats where I'm finding I'm getting confused. I've read where some people offer things sacred to that particular God(dess), and then others wouldn't think about it, and then there are those who wouldnt offer something to a God because it was sacred to someone they really didnt get along with.(an Example of the 3rd one is with Aset, I've heard that she hates pork because its sacred to Set. (BTW I read this particular one on the HON Forums)) I'm curious because I don't want to offer the wrong thing.

So my question is what do you guys do? Do you offer things sacred to them? Do you avoid offering things sacred to them or their "Enemies"? Or is it just a Trial and Error type deal?

Let the Gods judge me, not you.
-Follower of The lady of the stars, and  The son Of the Sea-

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 02, 2009, 08:16:25 pm »

Now, I know that offerings varry from God(dess) to God(dess), but thats where I'm finding I'm getting confused. I've read where some people offer things sacred to that particular God(dess), and then others wouldn't think about it, and then there are those who wouldnt offer something to a God because it was sacred to someone they really didnt get along with.(an Example of the 3rd one is with Aset, I've heard that she hates pork because its sacred to Set. (BTW I read this particular one on the HON Forums)) I'm curious because I don't want to offer the wrong thing.

So my question is what do you guys do? Do you offer things sacred to them? Do you avoid offering things sacred to them or their "Enemies"? Or is it just a Trial and Error type deal?

I'd check out www.wepwawet.org. You might also be interested this thread: http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=7924.0

The Wepwawet Wiki is partially scholarly but also largely UPG.  There are things on that site that have made me do a double-take. "Oh no, I would never offer ___ to (insert Netjer here)!"  But this site was put together by people who have a very real relationship with the Gods.  I am not going to discount their experiences.

The UPG offering thread is also really cool, and I like what Zahirah had to say.

I've had Gods become unexpectedly appreciative of something that I didn't expect them to get excited about, only to find out later that my offering had a mythological association with the Netjer in question.  I've also had the Gods turn up their nose at some things I've offered that I thought they really would like.  

I've never had a sense that any of the Gods have been "mad" at me for making the wrong offerings. Now, I should say one thing about myself:  I'm a vegetarian, and that makes my life kind of easy. It seems like the most commonly cited rules and the most emphatic warnings surround the meat tabus.  I haven't broken any of them, because I would not offer anything that I would not eat myself.  So while I may have offered some things that are a little, ehrm...unorthodox, I've never broken a major rule that I'm aware of.  I can't say for sure that the Gods would be as laid-back with me if I were to do something like that.  I can't really think of a reason to try the experiment.  

I think it's important to do your research, but at the same time, I wouldn't obsess too much about doing it "right". As long as you approach the Gods with love, reverence and respect, they'll put up with a few ritual blunders.  I've heard a lot of people say that Aset likes chocolate!  I don't think there was Chocolate in Kemet (please correct me if I'm wrong).  So we have no way of knowing if she likes chocolate, other than to try it (yeah, she does).

My general practice is that no matter what I'm offering, I try to make it the best quality I can afford at the  moment.  Up until pretty recently the "best quality I can afford" was sometimes crackers.  The Gods have been okay with that.  But if I have a choice between a snickers bar and a Dagoba chocolate bar, and I can afford the Dagoba, we're going with the Dagoba (http://www.dagobachocolate.com/).

Hey, I have to eat this stuff too.  

And of course, everyone appreciates a cool drink of water.  It's better to keep it simple than to get so hung up on doing the right thing that you are afraid to make offerings at all.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 08:20:23 pm by Nehet, Reason: Wanted to add one more thought. » Logged
Yami_Ranpu
Apprentice
Last Login:July 19, 2012, 03:39:56 pm

Religion: Following The Lady of the Stars, and The Son of The Sea
TCN ID: Yami_Ranpu

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 02, 2009, 08:57:27 pm »

I'd check out www.wepwawet.org. You might also be interested this thread: http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=7924.0

The Wepwawet Wiki is partially scholarly but also largely UPG.  There are things on that site that have made me do a double-take. "Oh no, I would never offer ___ to (insert Netjer here)!"  But this site was put together by people who have a very real relationship with the Gods.  I am not going to discount their experiences.

The UPG offering thread is also really cool, and I like what Zahirah had to say.

I've had Gods become unexpectedly appreciative of something that I didn't expect them to get excited about, only to find out later that my offering had a mythological association with the Netjer in question.  I've also had the Gods turn up their nose at some things I've offered that I thought they really would like.  

I've never had a sense that any of the Gods have been "mad" at me for making the wrong offerings. Now, I should say one thing about myself:  I'm a vegetarian, and that makes my life kind of easy. It seems like the most commonly cited rules and the most emphatic warnings surround the meat tabus.  I haven't broken any of them, because I would not offer anything that I would not eat myself.  So while I may have offered some things that are a little, ehrm...unorthodox, I've never broken a major rule that I'm aware of.  I can't say for sure that the Gods would be as laid-back with me if I were to do something like that.  I can't really think of a reason to try the experiment.  

I think it's important to do your research, but at the same time, I wouldn't obsess too much about doing it "right". As long as you approach the Gods with love, reverence and respect, they'll put up with a few ritual blunders.  I've heard a lot of people say that Aset likes chocolate!  I don't think there was Chocolate in Kemet (please correct me if I'm wrong).  So we have no way of knowing if she likes chocolate, other than to try it (yeah, she does).

My general practice is that no matter what I'm offering, I try to make it the best quality I can afford at the  moment.  Up until pretty recently the "best quality I can afford" was sometimes crackers.  The Gods have been okay with that.  But if I have a choice between a snickers bar and a Dagoba chocolate bar, and I can afford the Dagoba, we're going with the Dagoba (http://www.dagobachocolate.com/).

Hey, I have to eat this stuff too.  

And of course, everyone appreciates a cool drink of water.  It's better to keep it simple than to get so hung up on doing the right thing that you are afraid to make offerings at all.

Hmmm The wepwawet Wiki link isn't working for me, but I'll be sure to check out the thread you linked to.

Also, thanks for your advice on keeping it simple, and not getting hung up so bad you're afraid to make offerings at all. I'll be sure to keep that in mind Smiley .

Let the Gods judge me, not you.
-Follower of The lady of the stars, and  The son Of the Sea-
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 02, 2009, 09:08:13 pm »

then there are those who wouldnt offer something to a God because it was sacred to someone they really didnt get along with.(an Example of the 3rd one is with Aset, I've heard that she hates pork because its sacred to Set. (BTW I read this particular one on the HON Forums)) I'm curious because I don't want to offer the wrong thing.

Nehmet wrote an excellent post about the other questions, so I'll just add my two cents about Aset.  

Aset has indicated to me through feelings that She does not like pork and in a list I was writing about her sacred animals wanted me to add "female" in front of the word "pig", since it is the sow that is sacred to her instead of the male one (which is sacred to Set).  

Darkhawk and I figured out somewhere in the Kemetic SIG, that pork is more often than not, from male pigs so pork would not be appropriate for Aset.  

Aset is also more formal than most (?) Netjeru.  

A friend of mine told me of an experience another friend of hers had with Aset.  Her friend offered Aset pork and in a matter of minutes, the pork meat was rotten.  Aset lets you know if She doesn't want something.  

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 05, 2009, 12:27:23 pm »

Hmmm The wepwawet Wiki link isn't working for me, but I'll be sure to check out the thread you linked to.

Hmmm...Pity about the wepwawet wiki being down!  Hope they get it up again soon.
T Bone
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 15, 2009, 02:55:52 am

Religion: Theistic Satanism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 08, 2009, 02:47:45 am »

I don't work with a 'traditional' pantheon so I don't have any mythological indications of conflicting likes and dislikes....

However, I tend to ask my deities what they like - or pick something that I think they would like and tune in to get a sense of if it's a wise or unwise choice.

"Death is delightful, Death is dawn - the waking from a weary night of fevers unto Truth and Light."  ~James Russell Lowell
brandonb70
Master Member
Last Login:May 26, 2011, 12:18:40 pm

Religion: Ásatrú/Heathen
TCN ID: Brandon

Honor above all else

Blog entries (0)

brandon_bourg brandon.bourg brandonb70

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 08, 2009, 05:19:20 pm »

I have never had any issues with offerings. To me just the act of an offering really about acknowledging the Gods\Goddess and showing your loyalty to them. I don't see why they would care what you would offer them, just that you went out of your way to offer them something was the real point. Of course thats just IMHO. Ive never had one of my Gods\Goddess turn my gift down but I usually just offer fine alcohol.

I know that I hung on a windy tree
nine long nights,
wounded with a spear, dedicated to Odin,
myself to myself,
on that tree of which no man knows
from where its roots run. - Hávamál
Maurie
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 12, 2009, 01:32:16 pm

Religion: Eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 08, 2009, 06:50:17 pm »

The way I look at this, is that it is, in the end, about what is in your heart and your intensions.  If it is out of respect and love then it is good.  I think this is true if you are offering something to a god/goddess, various forms of spirits, or even as a gift to another human being.  Ofcourse if you have some idea of things that may be special or sacred to the one you are offering it to and you have it to offer, then by all means do.  Just like if you knew a close friend preferred tea over coffee, you would get them the tea.  If you didn't know the preference then it is the thought, as long as thought went into it, that counts.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: July 08, 2009, 06:58:36 pm »

If you didn't know the preference then it is the thought, as long as thought went into it, that counts.

I'm not sure all Gods feel that way.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Maurie
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 08, 2009, 07:45:22 pm »

I'm not sure they all do either.  Then again, I can't say I'm sure that they don't feel that way. 

Perhaps more people will have personal stories where there was an obvious refusal or dislike of an offering and they know for certain it wasn't something more than that - like the god/goddess knowing the heart of the giver and seeing that it wasn't in the right place.

That is why I said, "the way I see this...".  For me, intention is what is really important.  I'm not sure I would want to work closely with a god/goddess that would not look beyond the physical aspects of the offering to the heart behind the offering and take that into consideration.  Especially if the person is also open and teachable and willing to learn and not just going through the motions.   

Have you had personal experiences that have led you to believe one way or the other on this?
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 05, 2021, 02:13:46 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: July 08, 2009, 08:10:05 pm »

I'm quite sure that not all people feel that way - when I receive a gift that's completely out of whack with my interests/tastes/preferences, from someone who has had opportunity to observe and/or ask about those preferences, it tells me that, if they did put thought into it, they were more interested in their own thoughts about what I ought to like, than in doing the research to find out what I do like.

Since my personal experience is that interacting with deity-type people is quite a bit like interacting with human-type people, IMO the same principle applies.  It's one thing to not want to delay honoring a deity for as long as it might take to research exactly what they like best (which, for more obscure deities, can take quite a bit of time and digging), but getting an idea of what would be unacceptable, and what would be acceptable even though not ideal, isn't usually all that difficult.

This may, though, be what Maurie meant in noting "as long as thought went into it" - whether I agree or disagree depends on just what Maurie meant by "thought".

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Maurie
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 08, 2009, 08:24:36 pm »

I'm quite sure that not all people feel that way - when I receive a gift that's completely out of whack with my interests/tastes/preferences, from someone who has had opportunity to observe and/or ask about those preferences, it tells me that, if they did put thought into it, they were more interested in their own thoughts about what I ought to like, than in doing the research to find out what I do like.

Since my personal experience is that interacting with deity-type people is quite a bit like interacting with human-type people, IMO the same principle applies.  It's one thing to not want to delay honoring a deity for as long as it might take to research exactly what they like best (which, for more obscure deities, can take quite a bit of time and digging), but getting an idea of what would be unacceptable, and what would be acceptable even though not ideal, isn't usually all that difficult.

This may, though, be what Maurie meant in noting "as long as thought went into it" - whether I agree or disagree depends on just what Maurie meant by "thought".

Sunflower

Yep, that's what I meant by thought.  Smiley  Sincere and thought out thought. 

I agree with you about recieving things from people that should have known better.  It's the ones that really haven't had a chance to learn my preferences that I try to look at the heart of their gift instead of what it was.  And it also depends on the people to.  Some people I know just aren't "intune" with others and yet they mean well. I may roll my eyes but I realize that they are trying in there own way.  If something is VERY important to me I will usually let people know.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 05, 2021, 02:13:46 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: July 08, 2009, 09:08:26 pm »

Yep, that's what I meant by thought.  Smiley  Sincere and thought out thought. 

I agree with you about recieving things from people that should have known better.  It's the ones that really haven't had a chance to learn my preferences that I try to look at the heart of their gift instead of what it was.  And it also depends on the people to.  Some people I know just aren't "intune" with others and yet they mean well. I may roll my eyes but I realize that they are trying in there own way.  If something is VERY important to me I will usually let people know.
Well, I was more talking about making the effort to find out.  There are plenty of folks in this world who will put a great deal of what they claim is "thought" into such things - I'd extend that to include not just gifts but all kinds of how-they-treat-people - and as far as I can tell sincerely believe they're being thoughtful and considerate, but the trouble is that what they're considering and thinking about is not how other people do feel or want to be treated, but their own ideas about how others ought to feel.  They don't ask, and sometimes ignore the info when they do get it, because it doesn't fit with those preconceptions.

The older I get, the less sympathy I have for "good intentions" whose actual effect is hurtful, trivializing, and/or dismissive.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #13: July 08, 2009, 09:46:15 pm »

The older I get, the less sympathy I have for "good intentions" whose actual effect is hurtful, trivializing, and/or dismissive.

Exactly.  It is like somebody putting a lot of thought into what 'they' consider a great gift, so they can consider themselves a great gift-giver.  The thought becomes more important than considerations of what the receiver might actually WANT.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Ravenari
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 01, 2011, 07:04:42 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Spiritual Animist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: July 09, 2009, 06:41:55 am »

There are plenty of folks in this world who will put a great deal of what they claim is "thought" into such things - I'd extend that to include not just gifts but all kinds of how-they-treat-people - and as far as I can tell sincerely believe they're being thoughtful and considerate, but the trouble is that what they're considering and thinking about is not how other people do feel or want to be treated, but their own ideas about how others ought to feel.  They don't ask, and sometimes ignore the info when they do get it, because it doesn't fit with those preconceptions.

Oh man, this reminded me of a bit of stupidity on my own behalf, when I was just starting to learn the local land spirits or at least... attempting to. I believed I was in touch with one spirit, but had never bothered asking them about offerings. And had assumed that in a place as dessicated and drought-stricken as Western Australia, offerings of water would be appreciated by the land.

Whether or not anyone believes it's real, I had an experience where I was offering water in the middle of Summer, to a small flowering plant. Thinking that my intentions were good, etc. The land spirit appeared and asked me what he was doing. And I replied 'I'm nourishing the plant and making an offering to the land.' And I was essentially told that that plant had specifically evolved to NOT need water in Summer, and that if I kept giving it water, it would die, and that even a small offering could create mould around the plant and kill it, and that essentially if I wanted to actually be viewed as anything more than a five year old, I should probably actually <i>ask</i> first and learn about the land around me. Research into local bushland helped me discover that everything the land spirit had told me was right, and now I have my own native garden, and I do NOT water it in Summer. Lol. Because that's the way it's suppose to be. The plants actually flower better without it.

And since then, I've been spending ten years on that journey, and while I still make mistakes, I do try and remember to be as clear as possible with the spirits and people I work with, and rely less on assumptions.

As someone who has also been extremely hurt by 'good intentions,' especially recently, on behalf of a therapist whose good intentions couldn't excuse their gross misunderstanding of what 'healthy therapeutic boundaries' are... I also feel that good intentions when interacting with another just aren't often enough.

Even something as simple as offering water to the land can be harmful, if you don't understand anything about the land you're offering it to.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)