The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 02, 2020, 09:16:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2020, 09:16:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Okay, I give up - help! (Pretty please?)  (Read 4923 times)
Kalonyction
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 07, 2009, 04:35:01 pm
United States United States

Religion: Quasi-Experienced and Sort-Of-Seeking

(The Artist Formerly Known As BlueFeather)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 03, 2009, 07:07:04 am »

I've been pretty much out of commission for the past week or so due to an ongoing health issue which has suddenly flared up into some intense pain. It's had me basically in a cocoon; I've completely lost track of any online conversations-in-progress, my family wonders why I've gone all silent, and friends are starting to e-mail and ask if I'm still alive.

During the last few months, I've been wrestling with what I'm guessing might be a chronic low-grade sinus infection - irritating, but not seriously so, up until now. I've only recently sussed that it might be an infection rather than just very dry sinuses; I was one of those lucky people who ended up wrestling with rhinitis medicamentosa (fancy name for nasal spray dependence) after an illness about eight years ago, until I finally licked it just recently, so it's been easy to dismiss any sinus-related issues as just the lingering effects of that.

To complicate things, I also have some pre-existing dental problems which are, sadly, not going to be taken care of any time soon, as I'm unemployed and uninsured.

And now suddenly (and, I suppose, not entirely unexpectedly) the two issues seem to have joined forces, and out of nowhere, I'm getting sinus/dental pain on one side that isn't even remotely controllable at the highest doses of OTC painkillers.

Yes, getting medical help would be good, and I'm working on that. My financial situation is such that just waltzing into a doctor's office isn't really an option, but I've requested some paperwork which will hopefully allow me to be seen at a local clinic at reduced costs.

Until that goes through, however, I'm on my own. I'm usually pretty good at keeping incipient infections (cold, flu, sinus, whatever) in check with B-vitamins and herbal assists, but right now I'm pretty damn worn-down from other life-stresses and a continuing battle with depression, and just feeling at the end of my energy and my wits, you know?

I'm not someone who usually asks for, or participates in, distance healing or prayer groups or similar, because I'm really not sure how much faith I have in its effectiveness. But there's no one close to me who does any sort of healing work, and right now I'm willing to try the experiment and ask for any help at any distance that anyone's willing to offer. Positive energy, prayer, virgin sacrifices at full moon, whatever you got! (Hell, if this pain gets much worse, I might be willing to offer myself as the virgin - problem solved, albeit a bit, er, permanently...)

Heck, any mundane suggestions are welcome, too.

Thanks in advance for anything sent my way - and sorry to have abandoned several TC conversations in mid-dialogue - ack!

~Val~*

... it was as if there were a scent in her own nostrils or a glittering trail
laid out before her, the path of the Moon. It was like
the directionless direction, the windless wind on her cheek...
Robin McKinley

And further still, at an unearthly height
One luminary clock against the sky
Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
Robert Frost

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: July 03, 2009, 08:02:32 am »

[[[[Val]]]]

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #2: July 03, 2009, 09:25:45 am »

(((Val)))

Not a doctor substitute, but you might try using a neti-pot for the sinus infection until you can see someone. 

Sperran
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 03, 2009, 10:14:36 am »

Positive energy, prayer, virgin sacrifices at full moon, whatever you got! (Hell, if this pain gets much worse, I might be willing to offer myself as the virgin - problem solved, albeit a bit, er, permanently...)

Heck, any mundane suggestions are welcome, too.

Thanks in advance for anything sent my way - and sorry to have abandoned several TC conversations in mid-dialogue - ack!

~Val~*

Added to the "worry list".

I'll second the neti pot suggestion.  They really can help relieve sinus pain issues.  When I get sinus infections, I find a warm compress over the sinus area can bring a little relief, too.
For the teeth, try holding a whole clove against the tooth giving you problems- natural analgesic, plus mild antiseptic.  Also, deep rinsing your mouth (a minute or more) with warm salt water can help.  Swish through your teeth, don't gargle.

stardancer
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2012, 08:06:43 am
Norway Norway

Religion: Devotee of Gaia and Pan, and Athena

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 03, 2009, 12:46:26 pm »

Can't help with the mundane, but I can give you a {hug} and a *prayer* for better health and better financial situation - and some support for the depression.

Stardancer

Kalonyction
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 03, 2009, 04:31:33 pm »

[[[[Val]]]]

Thanks for the "hug" - damn I needed that!

Robin McKinley

Robert Frost
Kalonyction
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 03, 2009, 04:35:05 pm »

(((Val)))

Not a doctor substitute, but you might try using a neti-pot for the sinus infection until you can see someone. 

Sperran

Thanks for both hug and suggestion! I am using saline but have never tried using it with a neti pot... probably should look into it, considering my sinus history.

Robin McKinley

Robert Frost
Kalonyction
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 03, 2009, 04:35:56 pm »

I'll second the neti pot suggestion.  They really can help relieve sinus pain issues.  When I get sinus infections, I find a warm compress over the sinus area can bring a little relief, too.
For the teeth, try holding a whole clove against the tooth giving you problems- natural analgesic, plus mild antiseptic.  Also, deep rinsing your mouth (a minute or more) with warm salt water can help.  Swish through your teeth, don't gargle.

Robin McKinley

Robert Frost
Kalonyction
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 03, 2009, 04:42:47 pm »

Ack, sorry, I think I accidentally hit "post" when it was blank so this response may be quoted twice, not sure... symptom of having only a very few brain cells currently daring to come out of the cocoon, I guess. They're all in an ibuprofen haze.

Thanks for your response and the suggestions. My mom uses oil of clove, maybe I should see if she has some handy.

In the middle of the night I actually got up and brushed my teeth with saltwater which helped tremendously. Tried it again today when I was more awake, and I think I felt a newly chipped tooth in the back, which may explain the sudden pain - perhaps if I'm lucky it's just an exposed nerve and not an infection. Wait, did I just say "lucky"? Arrgh! *sigh*

Having a "worry list" sounds dreadful, I have to say - but I do appreciate being on it!!

Robin McKinley

Robert Frost
Kalonyction
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 03, 2009, 04:49:24 pm »

Can't help with the mundane, but I can give you a {hug} and a *prayer* for better health and better financial situation - and some support for the depression.

Stardancer

Hugs and prayers appreciated!

Just finding TC has helped a bit with the depression. I've become pretty isolated, so having people to talk with, about things that matter to me, makes a difference you wouldn't believe.

Robin McKinley

Robert Frost
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 03, 2009, 07:03:32 pm »

Ack, sorry, I think I accidentally hit "post" when it was blank so this response may be quoted twice, not sure... symptom of having only a very few brain cells currently daring to come out of the cocoon, I guess. They're all in an ibuprofen haze.

Thanks for your response and the suggestions. My mom uses oil of clove, maybe I should see if she has some handy.

In the middle of the night I actually got up and brushed my teeth with saltwater which helped tremendously. Tried it again today when I was more awake, and I think I felt a newly chipped tooth in the back, which may explain the sudden pain - perhaps if I'm lucky it's just an exposed nerve and not an infection. Wait, did I just say "lucky"? Arrgh! *sigh*

Having a "worry list" sounds dreadful, I have to say - but I do appreciate being on it!!

The worry list is where I list all those people and things I'm currently working on/with, sending energy or spending energy to get them done.  It's okay to worry, as long as you're doing what you can to remedy the situation.

Sine Silvering
Board Staff
Master Member
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:32:14 pm

Religion: priestess, Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 03, 2009, 07:13:58 pm »

I've been pretty much out of commission for the past week or so due to an ongoing health issue which has suddenly flared up into some intense pain. .
[snippage]
~Val~*

I was at my ENT's office last week because I'd been having spontaneous nosebleeds (9 in a week, including one that lasted two hours).  She cauterized that side, and then recommended NeilMed's Sinus Rinse system (which I'd already been using, but not regularly) and the NasoGel, which is the same saline we all use, but this is suspended in a gel so it sticks where it's supposed to work, and doesn't drip out.  It works, too!

http://www.neilmed.com/usa/products.php

If you have a chipped tooth, maybe this will help?

http://www.dentakit.com/dentalwax1.html

{{{ Val }}}

--------------
Blesséd Be!

When men speak ill of thee, live so as no one will believe them.
---Old Farmers Almanac, 1832
Kalonyction
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: July 03, 2009, 08:12:25 pm »

The worry list is where I list all those people and things I'm currently working on/with, sending energy or spending energy to get them done.  It's okay to worry, as long as you're doing what you can to remedy the situation.

Ha! I like that.

(I've sometimes proposed that as a reason why we should stop obsessively watching/reading the news - we just end up with a huge worry list (bigger by far than any past human generation has ever had to deal with, since we are now so incredibly media-saturated) that we mostly CAN'T do anything about.)

(Hope YOUR list stays manageable, despite random people like me creeping onto it.)

~V~* (feeling not-too-bad right now, with maaaaaaaximum strength benzocaine)

Robin McKinley

Robert Frost
Kalonyction
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: July 03, 2009, 08:25:37 pm »

I was at my ENT's office last week because I'd been having spontaneous nosebleeds (9 in a week, including one that lasted two hours).  She cauterized that side, and then recommended NeilMed's Sinus Rinse system (which I'd already been using, but not regularly) and the NasoGel...

{{{ Val }}}

Wow, guess I'm not the only one havng a really bad week!!! I sincerely hope you're back to normal now. I like nasal gels, don't know what the System is but I'll check it out. Dunno if I want to dare mess with the tooth as of yet, since I'm really not sure what's going on with it.

I have to say, it sounds weird (and maybe it also indicates that WAY too much of my human interaction in recent years has been online interaction), but damn, I can FEEL the hugs, folks, and I REALLY appreciate them!

~V~* (heading for a second dose of benzocaine)

Robin McKinley

Robert Frost
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: July 03, 2009, 09:07:36 pm »

That's one of the best things I know of for temporary toothache relief.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)