The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 03, 2020, 05:50:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 03, 2020, 05:50:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: a question about the runes and anglo saxon extra runes divination?  (Read 9295 times)
unbendingwill
Journeyman
Last Login:September 12, 2010, 09:34:04 am
United States United States

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 03, 2009, 08:16:55 pm »

I just read in this runic workbook that you can only divine with 24 runes even if you are using the Anglo Saxon version which has 33??? This confuses me because, when you use the tarot you have over 78 possible choice to divine the future with so therefore the more precise the telling will be...so to me it just makes sense to use more runes.  So why does he give this omniscient warning? At least that's the way it appeared in the book...

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 03, 2009, 08:41:53 pm »

I just read in this runic workbook that you can only divine with 24 runes even if you are using the Anglo Saxon version which has 33??? This confuses me because, when you use the tarot you have over 78 possible choice to divine the future with so therefore the more precise the telling will be...so to me it just makes sense to use more runes.  So why does he give this omniscient warning? At least that's the way it appeared in the book...

It's really hard to answer this question without knowing more about the context. Who wrote the book - and what's it called? What stuff does the author say around that place about the topic?

Honestly, do what works - but know where what you're doing comes from. My covenmate and I are doing some work with the Anglo-Saxon runes, but we made the decision to discard the ones where all the known info is "We think this might mean X", and keep the ones where there's at least a fragmentary poem bit. (We may later rethink this, but for right now, wanted to start somewhere that had some historical underpinning *somehow*.)

Is that the right decision for everyone? Probably not, few decisions are. But it made sense for us, and we're getting fairly sensible readings out of it.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Maythe
Master Member
Last Login:August 12, 2011, 02:15:02 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Heathen

Previously known as Impqueen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 04, 2009, 04:10:14 am »

For a good book on the runes I'd recommend 'Rudimentary Runelore' by Pollington. Bear in mind that we can't be sure the runes were ever used for divination (magic? yes, divination? not so sure) and consequently everyone's methods are invented. That's not to say some aren't better than others (blank rune anyone?  Roll Eyes  ) but I take all books on divining with the runes with a huge bucketload of salt. Personally I think it's as valid to divine with them as with any other system of symbols. But anyone saying you must do it X way, or Y way is likely talking out of their nether regions.

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

My new blog: Maytheweed's Words

I'm on Ravelry as a newbie knitter - PM me if you want to friend me Wink
unbendingwill
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 04, 2009, 01:12:08 pm »

It's really hard to answer this question without knowing more about the context. Who wrote the book - and what's it called? What stuff does the author say around that place about the topic?

Honestly, do what works - but know where what you're doing comes from. My covenmate and I are doing some work with the Anglo-Saxon runes, but we made the decision to discard the ones where all the known info is "We think this might mean X", and keep the ones where there's at least a fragmentary poem bit. (We may later rethink this, but for right now, wanted to start somewhere that had some historical underpinning *somehow*.)

Is that the right decision for everyone? Probably not, few decisions are. But it made sense for us, and we're getting fairly sensible readings out of it.
unfortunately I do not have the book with me...I'm at a friends house for the weekend...if you wouldn't mind cking back to this post on monday I will have the book title and author for you....but the book basicly just said that you have to take out several of the runes 6 or 7 to make it 24 and that if you were to use all 33 it would muddle the ability of the runes to predict accurately.  It is true that the extra runes towards the end have less information about them but there are rune poems for some of them and you could just use the poems to grasp the meanings for your self, although the poems are vague.  Which it sounds like you are doing already but it sucks that they don't have poems for all of the extra runes.  Is it that they are lost or that they never had poems for them?
unbendingwill
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 04, 2009, 01:17:14 pm »

For a good book on the runes I'd recommend 'Rudimentary Runelore' by Pollington. Bear in mind that we can't be sure the runes were ever used for divination (magic? yes, divination? not so sure) and consequently everyone's methods are invented. That's not to say some aren't better than others (blank rune anyone?  Roll Eyes  ) but I take all books on divining with the runes with a huge bucketload of salt. Personally I think it's as valid to divine with them as with any other system of symbols. But anyone saying you must do it X way, or Y way is likely talking out of their nether regions.

well from what I've read there is an account from a Roman either historian or fighter I think it was a fighter who said that he saw a shamen using the runes and describes how he did it.  It's one of the only accounts the books I've read uses to tell people how to do it the "old school" way, which is to cast the lot onto the ground, with eyes looking upward, call the gods and pic 3 pieces and then tell the future from there.  But I COMPLETELY hear you on the blank rune thing.  When I found out about it I was pissed off.  Don't even get me started.  But I like what you are saying there is alot of truth to it, they don't know too much about how the runes were used so who is to say x or y is the correct way to do things.
Maythe
Master Member
Last Login:August 12, 2011, 02:15:02 pm

Religion: Heathen

Previously known as Impqueen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 06, 2009, 12:56:11 pm »

well from what I've read there is an account from a Roman either historian or fighter I think it was a fighter who said that he saw a shamen using the runes and describes how he did it.  It's one of the only accounts the books I've read uses to tell people how to do it the "old school" way, which is to cast the lot onto the ground, with eyes looking upward, call the gods and pic 3 pieces and then tell the future from there.  But I COMPLETELY hear you on the blank rune thing.  When I found out about it I was pissed off.  Don't even get me started.  But I like what you are saying there is alot of truth to it, they don't know too much about how the runes were used so who is to say x or y is the correct way to do things.
IIRC it doesn't specify runes. It's probably Tacitus' 'Germania' mentioned in the current thread on rune books. Still haven't got round to reading that Embarrassed

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

My new blog: Maytheweed's Words

I'm on Ravelry as a newbie knitter - PM me if you want to friend me Wink
unbendingwill
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 06, 2009, 03:50:25 pm »

IIRC it doesn't specify runes. It's probably Tacitus' 'Germania' mentioned in the current thread on rune books. Still haven't got round to reading that Embarrassed
I'm going to ck the book but off hand I believe you are right...
unbendingwill
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 07, 2009, 11:33:16 am »

well the name of the book is The Runic Workbook ....Understanding and using the power of runes  By Tony Willis...ever heard of it...copyright 1986 seems to be a good book...on the anglo saxon side of the runes...helped me to understand bind runes a little better...I dont' know what do you think?
Grimsman
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 17, 2011, 01:58:04 am

Religion: Anglo Saxon Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 12, 2011, 01:28:31 pm »

Can't b sure, but I think Alearic Albertsson covers divination with the full Futhorc set in his book 'Wyrdworking'.

The warning does sound a bit 'omniscient' doesn't it?! I wouldn't be so dogmatic myself.......

Grimsman
Chakabe
Apprentice
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 03:43:41 pm

Religion: Studying Pagan / Druid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 03, 2011, 03:51:53 pm »

I am also working with my runes as well. I have the book and set by Ralf Blaum but I ended up tossing it to the side. Cleansing my runes and then I just went back to learning from the internet. Well that is all in all for the moment Learning the meanings of each one. Which takes time and practice so I hear and Learned.

also to further my own learning I hand made my mother a set of the 24 for her birthday on the 11th. She is by no means a pagan or druid of Anglo. However she has interests in psychics so I thought this would be cool.

The box they are kept in has a bind rune on the top of it as well as various runes on top in the corners and various spots on the box. inside is a message from me, as well as a like a wedding "sweets bag" that contained the runes in it... Over all not bad but still kinda amature since it was my first time Smiley

<-- Click the egg please need help hatching-Thank you Cheesy

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)