The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 03, 2020, 04:41:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 03, 2020, 04:41:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Book Recommendations for Rune Divination?  (Read 3643 times)
Kittiann
Apprentice
Last Login:July 10, 2013, 02:31:46 pm
United States United States

Religion: Agnostic Taoist

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 04, 2009, 02:36:14 pm »

I've been exploring the runes pretty casually for the past year or so, and the only book I have is "A Handbook of Rune Magic" by Thorsson.  It's very informative, but I find it a bit too dense and it focuses on a few things I'm just not interested in (like the body rune-shapes).  Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, fairly academically sound guide to rune divination?  Thanks so much Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:July 31, 2020, 10:41:29 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: July 05, 2009, 02:12:41 am »

I've been exploring the runes pretty casually for the past year or so, and the only book I have is "A Handbook of Rune Magic" by Thorsson.  It's very informative, but I find it a bit too dense and it focuses on a few things I'm just not interested in (like the body rune-shapes).  Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, fairly academically sound guide to rune divination?  Thanks so much Smiley
You might have to get your "academically sound" and your "divination" from different sources.  I haven't been keeping up with what's being published so it might have changed, but what I observed back in the '90s is that esoteric writers generally seemed to crib their historic info from a single academic source, presenting that academic's view as if it was known, undisputed fact.  I was (relatively) impressed by D. Jason Cooper's Using the Runes simply because, hey, this guy read both Page and Elliot (two major academics in the field) - OTOH, Cooper throws in a lot of other stuff that I'm not at all sure is historically accurate; I suspect he's not so much academically savvy, as more just really thorough about including every little bit of lore, folklore, and rumor.

So my own - possibly outdated, as I said - suggestion is to do some academic reading first (which won't have much to do with divinatory usage since we don't even know for certain whether they were used that way), and use that as a foundation from which to evaluate books that come at it from an esoteric angle.  You'll also benefit from reading primary-source material like the Eddas, which is where pretty much everything we know about the traditional significance of the runes comes from.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 05, 2009, 07:25:30 am »

I've been exploring the runes pretty casually for the past year or so, and the only book I have is "A Handbook of Rune Magic" by Thorsson. 

I've found Diana Paxson's _Taking Up the Runes_ a good starting place: she's got a bunch of relevant academic and linguistic background, and she does a good job of summarising the takes of other major authors (so you can go further and track down the ones that you want to explore further.) Each rune has information about the historical practice (the context of the culture, how it might have been used, what we know of the various rune poems for that rune) and then has a section on modern usage.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 05, 2009, 09:10:17 am »

I've found Diana Paxson's _Taking Up the Runes_ a good starting place: she's got a bunch of relevant academic and linguistic background, and she does a good job of summarising the takes of other major authors (so you can go further and track down the ones that you want to explore further.) Each rune has information about the historical practice (the context of the culture, how it might have been used, what we know of the various rune poems for that rune) and then has a section on modern usage.
I agree. It is nice how she summarizes other major authors, and she's got some cool guided meditations. That said, she is VERY Wiccatru, and not generally well-respected in the actual Asatru community because of it. But if you're not worried about that, then it should be a good place to start as Jennett said. It's easy to read, and covers basic Heathen subjects in connection with the runes, which is kind of cool too.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Aliceanna
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 17, 2010, 07:19:27 pm

Religion: Heathenry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 06, 2009, 03:04:28 am »

HI, Kittiann,
I liked Diana Paxson's "Taking Up the Runes," and Freya Aswynn's "Leaves of Yggdrasil." (I have the old version. It was republished as "Northern Mysteries and Magic"). I just found out that Galina Krasskova is coming out with a rune book too very soon called "Runes: Theory and Practice" (according to amazon). I'd probably start there for the divination part of your question.

For academic rune stuff, I think R.I. Page "A Introduction to English Runes" and Stephen Pollington's book on Runes (I can't remember the name right now) might be good places to start.

Thank you,
Aliceanna
tonycoyote
Apprentice
Last Login:March 03, 2010, 08:14:14 am

Religion: Germano-Roman Polytheism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 06, 2009, 10:36:26 am »

Well, the first thing you have to realize is that there are no historical or academic sources for runic divination. There is ONE mention in Tacitus' Germania, but he does not refer to the symbols as runes nor does he describe the symbols. So really anything you find on runic divination specifically is going to mainly be modern speculation. Sorry. Runic magic in general, on the other hand, you can find tons of references to in historical material.
Maythe
Master Member
Last Login:August 12, 2011, 02:15:02 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Heathen

Previously known as Impqueen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 06, 2009, 12:45:16 pm »

Stephen Pollington's book on Runes (I can't remember the name right now) might be good places to start.

Thank you,
Aliceanna
I definitely second the Pollington suggestion. It's 'Rudiments of Runelore'.

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

My new blog: Maytheweed's Words

I'm on Ravelry as a newbie knitter - PM me if you want to friend me Wink
Aliceanna
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 17, 2010, 07:19:27 pm

Religion: Heathenry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 07, 2009, 12:15:28 am »

I definitely second the Pollington suggestion. It's 'Rudiments of Runelore'.

Thank you, Impqueen. I couldn't find my copy.
Aliceanna
Kittiann
Apprentice
Last Login:July 10, 2013, 02:31:46 pm

Religion: Agnostic Taoist

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 10, 2009, 01:56:28 am »

Thank you to everyone in this thread!  I'l have to take my credit card on a trip through the internet and check out a these suggestions Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)