The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 15, 2019, 08:26:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2019, 08:26:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Happy Independence Day!  (Read 1109 times)
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am
United States United States

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 04, 2009, 04:07:34 pm »

http://www.maylin.net/Fireworks.html

I just wanted to share some thoughts I had about today (it's cross-posted from mah blog):

I feel like taking a moment to reflect on the fact that even as much as our government and foreign policies suck, I am incredibly lucky to live in America. I am also incredibly lucky to be an American woman.

I am free to criticize my government without fear of going to prison or being executed.

I am free to work pretty much where I want to work, negotiate a salary to some extent, and enjoy benefits provided to me by my employer.

I am free to control my reproductive health.

I am free to read what I want to read, listen to what music I want to listen to, view whatever art I want to view, and access the internet without extreme censorship or censure.

I am also relatively free to create whatever art I want to create so long as it falls within America's legal code. I can't exactly make a display out of dead body parts that I collected myself from unwilling participants, but I could paint a bunch of dead body parts, or write about cannibalism and necrophilia if I so desired. (Sometimes I do, but the urge hasn't been as strong since I stopped taking Ambien.)

I am free to live where I want to live, and go where I want to go.

I am free to choose my own doctors and health care options.

I am free to follow my own religious path.

I am free to marry whom I choose or divorce whom I choose.

I am free to shop where I want to shop and have many, many options available to me.

I am free to own my own home and property.

I am free to spend my money where and how I choose.

I am free to dress how I want to dress.

I am free to talk to people that I want to and talk about people.

I am free to bear arms (and free to arm bears).

I am free to hold protests and petition my government to right wrongs.

I am free from having to provide housing to the military.

I am considered innocent until proven guilty, and I am free to ask for a jury of my peers to judge me should it be necessary.

All of these things, of course, are limited mainly by our fairly liberal laws, my own desire and financial means, but I'm free to be in debt up to my eyeballs, too, if I want to try to live beyond my means.

So thank you, America, for trying to live up to a 230-year-old ideal that all people are created equal and we have a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

mlr52
Master Member
Last Login:April 05, 2016, 04:47:17 am
United States United States

Religion: Unitarian Universalist
TCN ID: mlr52

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 04, 2009, 07:33:54 pm »

http://www.maylin.net/Fireworks.html

I just wanted to share some thoughts I had about today (it's cross-posted from mah blog):

I feel like taking a moment to reflect on the fact that even as much as our government and foreign policies suck, I am incredibly lucky to live in America. I am also incredibly lucky to be an American woman.

I am free to criticize my government without fear of going to prison or being executed.

I am free to work pretty much where I want to work, negotiate a salary to some extent, and enjoy benefits provided to me by my employer.

I am free to control my reproductive health.

I am free to read what I want to read, listen to what music I want to listen to, view whatever art I want to view, and access the internet without extreme censorship or censure.

I am also relatively free to create whatever art I want to create so long as it falls within America's legal code. I can't exactly make a display out of dead body parts that I collected myself from unwilling participants, but I could paint a bunch of dead body parts, or write about cannibalism and necrophilia if I so desired. (Sometimes I do, but the urge hasn't been as strong since I stopped taking Ambien.)

I am free to live where I want to live, and go where I want to go.

I am free to choose my own doctors and health care options.

I am free to follow my own religious path.

I am free to marry whom I choose or divorce whom I choose.

I am free to shop where I want to shop and have many, many options available to me.

I am free to own my own home and property.

I am free to spend my money where and how I choose.

I am free to dress how I want to dress.

I am free to talk to people that I want to and talk about people.

I am free to bear arms (and free to arm bears).

I am free to hold protests and petition my government to right wrongs.

I am free from having to provide housing to the military.

I am considered innocent until proven guilty, and I am free to ask for a jury of my peers to judge me should it be necessary.

All of these things, of course, are limited mainly by our fairly liberal laws, my own desire and financial means, but I'm free to be in debt up to my eyeballs, too, if I want to try to live beyond my means.

So thank you, America, for trying to live up to a 230-year-old ideal that all people are created equal and we have a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

The State of New Jersey just upped the buy in with a "made in the USA law"
http://www.1010wins.com/NJ-Governor-Signs--Made-in-the-USA---Flag-Bill/4735794

Light your candle.
In Love and Service, Blessed Be.

A Notary Public for The State of New York, I Live in Brooklyn, Work in Manhattan - No Fee

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)