The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 16, 2019, 12:47:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2019, 12:47:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: before you practice magic, you should:  (Read 3101 times)
Maurie
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 12, 2009, 01:32:16 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 07, 2009, 10:21:05 pm »

I have read a few things that say that you should not practice magick before dedicating yourself or being dedicated by others (in general or to a deity or deities).  Or, that there are certain rituals that should be preformed first.  Or that you should have some idea of a personal creed before practicing.  And so on.  What if you want to practice, feel comfortable doing so, and yet have not pinned any of the details down yet as to what you wish to dedicate yourself to etc?

What do you think and why? 

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 07, 2009, 10:40:45 pm »

I have read a few things that say that you should not practice magick before dedicating yourself or being dedicated by others (in general or to a deity or deities).  Or, that there are certain rituals that should be preformed first.  Or that you should have some idea of a personal creed before practicing.  And so on.  What if you want to practice, feel comfortable doing so, and yet have not pinned any of the details down yet as to what you wish to dedicate yourself to etc?

I think that self-dedication or initiations are a fine way to commit yourself to a religious system, be it Catholicism, Santeria, Wicca or what-have-you. It can help a person focus their beliefs and solidify their spirituality. It can also help someone integrate into a religious community, or integrate their spirituality into their everyday life. But to me, it's a religious or spiritual decision about who you are as a spiritual person.

Magic isn't necessarily who you are, it's what you do. Anyone can perform spells, anyone can work magic. Everytime you visualize a preferred outcome to a decision, or wish an ill friend to recover, or even put on a forceful and confident attitude at an interview - you're doing magic.

Having a formal personal creed is a matter of personal preference. If you are comfortable in your own morals, ethics and values, and you put those morals, ethics and values into everything you do or every decision you make, that is your personal creed and it will carry over into your magical practices.

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #2: July 07, 2009, 10:59:58 pm »

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing you 'need' to have before you do magic is something to do it for.  Once you have a goal that you think magic can help you achieve (or that you figure it can't hurt) go for it.

There are different forms of magic, folk, communal, religious, etc.  For some of those, if you want to do them in the correct framework then you have to wait until that framework is in place.  For others, you have to be sure that you know and control your will properly.  For still others, you need the recipe or the theory or the ability to believe for a little or long while.  For some types, risk assessment is a valuable skill, but not for all.

Once you have a goal and whatever tools (framework, coven, recipe, intent) you need to accomplish that goal magically, there is no reason I can see not to do it.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
summerwind
Apprentice
Last Login:March 25, 2011, 09:41:05 pm

Religion: wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 08, 2009, 01:56:59 am »

No, you don't need to dedicate yourself. I started at the age of 6 and I didn't know there was anyone else that practiced witchcraft, I just believed it worked. I was raised catholic so I just didn't tell anyone. I was experimental, rebellious, and for some reason thought that it didn't matter that I practiced magick and was catholic. But I rarely paid any attention either. However, when yopu are older and wiser, you should cast a circle and purify yourself and the area first, and you should probably know the source of your magick: the goddess, and to a lesser extent the god, but the god is also very important however his areas of magick are not as varied as the goddesses', in some ways. I think that you should have an idea of how magick works, to practice it. For example sypathetic magick and the way symbolism is so important, the way that everything is interconnected and your spell can have farther reaching effects. I learned such things the hard way but it doesn't mean you should---in fact, I don't recommend it.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: July 08, 2009, 05:18:06 am »

I have read a few things that say that you should not practice magick before dedicating yourself or being dedicated by others (in general or to a deity or deities). 

I see magic as something not necessarily tied to religion.  It's a tool that some religions use, but can also be non-religious and have nothing to do with deities, in the singular or the plural.  In that sense, I don't think a dedication to deity/ies is strictly necessary to practice magic in general terms.  There may be some specific paths that require it, however.  I don't know much about the specifics of how training is done for magic used in religious settings.

As for personal creeds, I think it's good to know what you're doing before you start...  But in much the same way that it's good to know how to use any tool before you start in on a new project with it.  I don't see the need for a special creed for magic any more than I see the need for a special creed for a chainsaw.

"Special rituals" would probably fall under a combination of those things.  It comes down to:  Magic is a tool, one amongst many.  It's not a special tool with special rules, in my estimation.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 15, 2019, 12:34:15 pm

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: July 08, 2009, 08:19:57 am »

I have read a few things that say that you should not practice magick before dedicating yourself or being dedicated by others (in general or to a deity or deities).

While magic can be practiced as part of a religious system, it can just as easily be practiced separately from a religious system (or by those with no religion at all). Therefore, this statement isn't really true in general. However, it may be true for certain religions that include magic.

Or, that there are certain rituals that should be preformed first.

Some magical systems require elaborate preparation and rituals that must be performed before doing magic. Others don't require any such thing.

Or that you should have some idea of a personal creed before practicing.

Having some type of moral system makes it easier to decide whether a given spell should be cast just as it helps one decide that a given non-magical action should be done or not.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
brandonb70
Master Member
Last Login:May 26, 2011, 12:18:40 pm

Religion: Ásatrú/Heathen
TCN ID: Brandon

Honor above all else

Blog entries (0)

brandon_bourg brandon.bourg brandonb70

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 08, 2009, 06:15:19 pm »

I think the most important preparation you can do is feel ready to do it. Unless your part of a religion that requires a certain ritual to be performed then the most important thing is to have a clear head and do it. Having a creed or deity is nice to have something to focus on but its not need imo. I have just started working with rune magic and I have finally got to where I am comfortable in performing my first spell/ritual. I worried a lot about it backfiring until I realized as long as I know what im doing and got it planned out it would be ok to do the spell. Just make sure you can focus your energy. I use meditation to help me focus on what im trying to accomplish.

I know that I hung on a windy tree
nine long nights,
wounded with a spear, dedicated to Odin,
myself to myself,
on that tree of which no man knows
from where its roots run. - Hávamál
PurpleCrow
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 28, 2010, 12:39:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 08, 2009, 07:37:40 pm »

Personally I have only ever done a couple of spells and even then they were very simple (although had a good effect, if slow!). I dont believe I am in the right position/mindset to do spells for two reasons - 1. I suffer from depression and am on anti depressants, I dont think my mind is in the right place to be able to carry out spells in a sensible manner (I dont quite know how to explain that, just that my head isnt in the right place) 2. I dont believe that I have enough knowledge about spell weaving and ritual work (as it is not something I have really concentrated on) and want to know for sure when/where/how to do things before I do them.
I dont believe that dedication of a sort is needed to conduct spell work but it can focus a person and even be a starting point for them thus giving them the confidence in their self to carry out spell work.

Asetam
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 02, 2010, 12:56:41 am

Religion: Ecclectic....for lack of a better way of putting it

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 09, 2009, 10:07:25 pm »

i have to say that i "practiced magic" for years before i even had an idea that my spirituality was behind it.  but....in that same note, at that time the workings i did were full of greed and no understanding of the energies and wonders that i had opened.  i am still not "dedicated" to any one deity, pantheon, or idea, and i work "magic" on a regular basis.  the reasons i think i feel this way:  to me, faith and spirituality are something that is personal to each person..... one of the reasons i felt my separation from christianity was the idea of putting one "god" above all else.  i interact with just a couple deities.... and sometimes have a hard time stilling myself long enough for that, there is no way i could dedicate myself to one single.  that, and in my belief system, there is no way to define what i should dedicate myself to...and so i call it life.

and on the other side of that spectrum, to look at it a different way......  when i sit down formally, or informally, to work any spellwork, i dedicate my entity to the purpose for which i am working.  whether my family, my heart, my home, my security...... and of course the desire to keep all reprucussions to myself be there any.

so i suppose i would say that: Before you practice magic, you should have a full understanding of that which you desire, and it would probably be in your best interest to make sure the energy holds no negative impact, i truly believe that no one else should feel the wrath of a spell gone wrong.
T Bone
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 15, 2009, 02:55:52 am

Religion: Theistic Satanism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 10, 2009, 04:19:28 am »

I don't think that it's necessary to dedicate yourself to any path or to the service of any deity before practicing magick - just as I don't believe that one has to be an adept at energy manipulation before being somehow 'worthy' to call himself/herself part of a tradition...

But, that being said, I do respect the systems which have been put in place by different traditions.  The way that I see it, if you wish to call yourself a dedicant/initiate/follower of a particular path or tradition, you should adhere to the tenets and regulations of that path or tradition.  If the path or tradition requires that you do not practice magick before dedicating yourself or being initiated, then you shouldn't practice magick.  This is all based on whether or not you are wishing to call yourself a follower etc. of a specific tradition which has specific requirements.

If you are an independent practitioner (or what some would call Eclectic, and not necessarily 'Eclectic Wiccan'), I believe that it should be your choice as to whether or not you practice magick and when you practice magick.  How else are you supposed to learn, especially if you practice alone and without the guidance of an elder, if you do not actually work magick?  If you are without the benefit of learning by example, then you should be mindful that you will have to learn by experience.

"Death is delightful, Death is dawn - the waking from a weary night of fevers unto Truth and Light."  ~James Russell Lowell
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 10, 2009, 07:08:00 am »

COMPLETELY off-topic but it always pops up whenever I see the title of this thread to finish it off with 'wash your hands'.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 10, 2009, 01:18:29 pm »

COMPLETELY off-topic but it always pops up whenever I see the title of this thread to finish it off with 'wash your hands'.

You too?!?!?

AntlerandHerb.com

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.