The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 14, 2021, 06:50:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 14, 2021, 06:50:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What is the oldest Pagan symbol?  (Read 9903 times)
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #15: July 12, 2009, 06:26:05 pm »

Drawings almost certainly predated carving so a drawing of the Sun or Moon, as a representation of an object of worship, would clearly qualify.

When I was researching an answer for the OP, I kept hitting a horizon beyond which we have no way of knowing what the swymbol meant to the people using it. We are pretty sure that we recognise it's a symbol of some sort, but there just isn't the direct evidence to confirm or deny a conclusion. I never did find a good answer for the earliest symbol for which we have direct and/or significant evidence to believe we know what the symbols meant in the society in which they had meaning, or even for the earliest date that a potentially symbolic shape appears in a way that supports a religious interpretation.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: July 12, 2009, 06:32:16 pm »

When I was researching an answer for the OP, I kept hitting a horizon beyond which we have no way of knowing what the swymbol meant to the people using it. We are pretty sure that we recognise it's a symbol of some sort, but there just isn't the direct evidence to confirm or deny a conclusion. I never did find a good answer for the earliest symbol for which we have direct and/or significant evidence to believe we know what the symbols meant in the society in which they had meaning, or even for the earliest date that a potentially symbolic shape appears in a way that supports a religious interpretation.

I came to the same conclusion without researching it. Wink I am operating from the presumption that to a pre-literate society, any energy spent on art would signify something of adoration.  Otherwise: "Hey, Thag, quit playing with the charcoal and gather some bushes!"

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #17: July 12, 2009, 06:45:42 pm »

I came to the same conclusion without researching it. Wink I am operating from the presumption that to a pre-literate society, any energy spent on art would signify something of adoration.  Otherwise: "Hey, Thag, quit playing with the charcoal and gather some bushes!"

I started in a similar spot, but knew I didn't really know much beyond my own conjecture, so I went hunting (that and I'm between contracts and sooooo bored Smiley). Apparently hunter gathering, while quite time consuming, can leave a fair amount of time in which to get bored and engage in 'non-productive' activity. Many of the basic resources used in the early symbolic work were not necessarily scarce and may not have represented a significant investment on the part of the community. While I lean towards your perspective, I have come to a position of reasonable doubt Smiley Thing is, even if they are definitely symbolic and we accept the perspective that they would need to be 'religious' for them to have bothered, it doesn't get us passed not knowing for sure what it was that was being referred to by the symbol. We don't know what they were adoring.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #18: July 12, 2009, 10:08:16 pm »

They had a daughter, Inanna, but neither Ningal nor Inanna were moon goddesses - one was a sky or air goddess, and the other fertility and war (I want to say that Inanna was conflated with Ishtar at some point, but I may just be getting confused here - it's not really my area).

If I'm not mistaken, Inanna is Sumerian, while Ishtar is Assyrian.

stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: January 31, 2010, 08:47:56 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, Inanna is Sumerian, while Ishtar is Assyrian.

From the reading I've done lately, which admittedly hasn't yielded much in the way of credible results, Ishtar is her Akkadian name, but the Akkadian people used Sumerian as their religious language, much like Catholics have been known to use Latin. So the Akkadian hymns to Ishtar use the name Inanna, the same as the Sumerians. The University of Oxford Library has a large body of reading material online that's translated from Sumerian writings here: http://www-etcsl.orient.ox.ac.uk/index1.htm

Lykos
Permanently Banned
Master Member
Last Login:November 04, 2010, 03:13:23 am

Religion: Hellenismos

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #20: February 01, 2010, 12:08:04 am »

I have been thinking about this for a while, searched for some information but havent found any so far.
Does anyone know what is considered the oldest Pagan symbol? Or what group of symbols are the oldest? Or is such information lost?

I would probably go with the cross or the spiral. I haven't done any hardcore research on this, but I certainly should as semiotics is an interest of mine.

They DID fine the cross and other symbols on the "Ice Man" when they dug him up out of a glacier or something. I'm not sure how old he was, but I know it was rather old, he was probably a hunter-gatherer IIRC.

Too much wisdom is an oxymoron; too much knowledge an imminent possibility often detrimental to one's health.

"What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself." Abraham Lincoln

Praise be to Apollon, Lord of music and creativity!
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: February 01, 2010, 08:27:36 am »

They DID fine the cross and other symbols on the "Ice Man" when they dug him up out of a glacier or something. I'm not sure how old he was, but I know it was rather old, he was probably a hunter-gatherer IIRC.

This NOVA article says he was stuck in that glacier for (about, my guess is that the dating is not meant to be taken as absolute) 5,300 years.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #22: February 01, 2010, 10:10:24 am »

From the reading I've done lately, which admittedly hasn't yielded much in the way of credible results, Ishtar is her Akkadian name, but the Akkadian people used Sumerian as their religious language, much like Catholics have been known to use Latin. So the Akkadian hymns to Ishtar use the name Inanna, the same as the Sumerians. The University of Oxford Library has a large body of reading material online that's translated from Sumerian writings here: http://www-etcsl.orient.ox.ac.uk/index1.htm

Thanks for the link! What I have read is mostly on Gateways to Babylon, and in one of the articles there it says:

...the Great Goddess of Love and War known as Inanna by the Sumerians and Ishtar by the Babylonians and Assyrians.

I know next to nothing about the Akkadians. I should do some reading about it.

Lykos
Permanently Banned
Master Member
Last Login:November 04, 2010, 03:13:23 am

Religion: Hellenismos

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #23: February 04, 2010, 03:08:22 am »

This NOVA article says he was stuck in that glacier for (about, my guess is that the dating is not meant to be taken as absolute) 5,300 years.

Ah, so quite old, but certainly not representative of the oldest pagans.

I would, however, say that the fact that they were used as tattoos, fairly permanent body modifications, shows that they had long been used as powerful symbols. IIRC, researchers found evidence of arthritis in the joints that had tattoos over them. The theory, then, is that the symbols (or at least the tattoos) were somehow linked to medicine and healing. These, IMO, must have been functions long accepted for those symbols before they were inscribed permanently in one's skin.

Other candidates in my mind are simple wave patterns or even parallel line segments. Perhaps even a single line (segment) can be seen as a symbol, it certai ly is as the number one or as a mathematical sign for subtraction. I can imagine many uses for such simple symbols, who knows what ancient or prehistoric peoples might have associated with such things.

Too much wisdom is an oxymoron; too much knowledge an imminent possibility often detrimental to one's health.

"What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself." Abraham Lincoln

Praise be to Apollon, Lord of music and creativity!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)