The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 06, 2021, 09:54:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 06, 2021, 09:54:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tainted Poultry Has Entered US Food Supply  (Read 8658 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: May 01, 2007, 05:56:14 pm »

Well. Shit.

Tainted poultry has entered food supply
Millions of chickens ate feed containing melamine, government officials say

WASHINGTON - The Food and Drug Adminstration said Tuesday that as many as 3 million chickens that may have been given contaminated feed containing melamine have already been eaten by consumers, according to NBC News.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18405363/

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: May 01, 2007, 06:06:57 pm »

China -- or any other country this stuff came from -- needs to immediately take strong measures to prevent the export of any more of the contaminated material.  If they cannot or will not, all imports (of everything) from the countries refusing to do so should be blocked. If the WTO doesn't like this -- the WTO can take a flying leap into a black hole.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Guenthecat
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2010, 11:27:22 am

Religion: Folk Pagan??

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 01, 2007, 06:36:37 pm »

Lovely.  While I barely eat enough chicken to amount to a whole breast a month if even at all in a month, this is just pissy.  I guess I'll be going veggie excepting local grass fed farm meats now.  Good thing I'm really close to the Farmers Market that actually sells such a thing!

Guen  ~:)
Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: May 01, 2007, 07:39:47 pm »

Well. Shit.

WASHINGTON - The Food and Drug Adminstration said Tuesday that as many as 3 million chickens that may have been given contaminated feed containing melamine have already been eaten by consumers, according to NBC News.

This is getting ridiculous. I can't believe all the contaminated stuff from pet food to human food lately. I was sick for over a week after eating the salmonella contaminated peanut butter a while back.

Is it me or has something broken down lately with all these incidences?

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: May 01, 2007, 07:49:52 pm »

This is getting ridiculous. I can't believe all the contaminated stuff from pet food to human food lately. I was sick for over a week after eating the salmonella contaminated peanut butter a while back.

Is it me or has something broken down lately with all these incidences?

I don't think it's just you. Unfortunately, I think it speaks volumes for the concerns the current administration has about food safety.

Beachglass
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2013, 12:19:05 am

Religion: Nonspecific Pagan-Leaning

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 01, 2007, 07:50:20 pm »

China -- or any other country this stuff came from -- needs to immediately take strong measures to prevent the export of any more of the contaminated material.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't bother.  I saw this on CNN last night (unfortunately I couldn't find a link to post).  They said that adding melamine is basically accepted practice in China.  Choice quotes from an article that describes this practice:

"Using the proper quantity of melamine will not harm the animals," said Wang Jianhui, manager of the Kaiyuan Protein Feed company in the northern city of Shijiazhuang. "Our products are very safe, for sure," Wang added.

Ji played down the risk, saying that despite China's repeated food safety scares, the companies could be trusted to use melamine safely.

"I believe it won't do any harm if there is only very small amount," Ji said. "Otherwise, those companies could not do that."

!. !. !!  Shocked
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 01:53:26 am by Beachglass, Reason: Slowly losing my ability to use English articles. » Logged

"the further we go and older we grow the more we know the less we show"
loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 01, 2007, 09:18:18 pm »

Well. Shit.

A simple way of putting it when considering our food supply---  We don't need enemies considering the friends we have.

The Fda has been cut back several times in the past 6 yrs, we import a very sizable portion ofour food supply, and quality control in the food industries of the countries we import from is weak at best and sometime non-existant.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: May 01, 2007, 09:57:34 pm »

A simple way of putting it when considering our food supply---  We don't need enemies considering the friends we have.

The Fda has been cut back several times in the past 6 yrs, we import a very sizable portion ofour food supply, and quality control in the food industries of the countries we import from is weak at best and sometime non-existant.

I've always thought people talking about terrorists and the food supply were being a little bit blind. It's a whole lot easier to poison us if you're our friend. You don't have to be a member of a terrorist group.  Undecided

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: May 01, 2007, 10:34:36 pm »

And the Bush Administration wants MORE cutbacks (or did before this) -- after all, we can trust businesses to keep us all safe, They obviously put the safety of people ahead of profits. note that in the world the Bush Administration lives in -- the one where Iraq is safe to walk the streets at night -- this might even be true. Unfortunately, the rest of us don't live in that world.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: May 01, 2007, 10:35:40 pm »

!. !. !!  Shocked

Are they channeling the Bush Administration???!!!

Randall
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 04, 2007, 12:26:31 pm »

I don't think it's just you. Unfortunately, I think it speaks volumes for the concerns the current administration has about food safety.

From what I understand, most of the FDA budget is spent on drug approvals.  So there isn't enough money in food safety to inspect as much as they should.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: May 04, 2007, 01:33:23 pm »

And the Bush Administration wants MORE cutbacks (or did before this) -- after all, we can trust businesses to keep us all safe, They obviously put the safety of people ahead of profits. note that in the world the Bush Administration lives in -- the one where Iraq is safe to walk the streets at night -- this might even be true. Unfortunately, the rest of us don't live in that world.

I whole-heartedly agree.

AND I ate chicken in the previous two days.  If I get sick, a well-aimed hex is going straight to China.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
elizwrite
Apprentice
Last Login:December 09, 2012, 09:06:52 pm

Religion: pagan

Elizabeth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 04, 2007, 01:45:46 pm »

Well. Shit.

That about sums it up.   Angry  We eat quite a lot of chicken in our household; I can't eat beef anymore unless I want to spend the next day sick.  I guess I'm going to have to start buying the more expensive and harder to find free range stuff, or go completely veg.  Grr. 

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: May 04, 2007, 02:31:58 pm »

From what I understand, most of the FDA budget is spent on drug approvals.  So there isn't enough money in food safety to inspect as much as they should.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

And the sad thing is, it doesn't look like they care to police those drug approvals either. Sad

Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 04, 2007, 06:56:01 pm »

Well. Shit.

My thoughts exactly.

Quote from: The Article
Birds that were given the contaminated feed will not be allowed to enter the U.S. food supply.

Quote from: The Article
They are uncertain how many chickens were involved, how many entered the food supply or where they went.  “We haven’t completed counting yet,” said USDA spokesman Keith Williams.

Contradictory much?  This leads me to believe that, yes, some did enter the food supply.

::Shakes head::  Between this and the salmonella issues with spinach and lettuce in the near past I think I'm going to become a Terratarian.  As long as I stick to whole rocks I should be safe from these 'oversights', infections and pesticides....

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)