The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 05, 2022, 08:49:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2022, 08:49:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tainted Poultry Has Entered US Food Supply  (Read 9293 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: May 04, 2007, 07:27:25 pm »

As long as I stick to whole rocks I should be safe from these 'oversights', infections and pesticides....

You can add fruits and veggies that you grow yourself to your diet. Smiley

It's like I told Randall when we were planting the tomatoes and herb garden. Yes, it's dirt, but it's MY dirt. I know what I've put in there.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: May 04, 2007, 08:53:41 pm »

You can add fruits and veggies that you grow yourself to your diet. Smiley

It's like I told Randall when we were planting the tomatoes and herb garden. Yes, it's dirt, but it's MY dirt. I know what I've put in there.

That is one advantage you have of being South +/- Texas, a longer growing season.  I'm just starting to get the garden in, some transplants and the rest from seed.  But it will be 6 weeks before the first prodce comes out of the garden, if that soon.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: May 04, 2007, 09:02:25 pm »

That is one advantage you have of being South +/- Texas, a longer growing season.  I'm just starting to get the garden in, some transplants and the rest from seed.  But it will be 6 weeks before the first prodce comes out of the garden, if that soon.

Back when I had my full-sized garden, I would be coming up close on my second harvest. My first one would have started in late February or early March with the lettuces. I miss that.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #18: May 05, 2007, 08:29:02 am »

Well. Shit.

Tainted poultry has entered food supply
Millions of chickens ate feed containing melamine, government officials say

WASHINGTON - The Food and Drug Adminstration said Tuesday that as many as 3 million chickens that may have been given contaminated feed containing melamine have already been eaten by consumers, according to NBC News.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18405363/

Alllllrighty.  First they start off with pet food, now people food?  Call me paranoid, but it really makes me wonder if theres a method to the madness.  It seems that they are experimenting with the reaction speed to toxicity.  How fast can the FDA catch known toxins entering the food supplies.

The spinach gave the idea, the pet food was an experiment.  Now with the chicken they're proving the theory that the FDA just can't keep up, and one could most likely introduce whatever they wanted into the American food supply, and it would be at least a few weeks before it was noticed, and another few weeks before it was identified and stopped. 

Alrighty.  I'm going to go be abducted by aliens now.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Eadie
Master Member
Last Login:November 11, 2008, 04:19:38 pm

Religion: Other

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: May 05, 2007, 11:12:47 am »

Alllllrighty.  First they start off with pet food, now people food?  Call me paranoid, but it really makes me wonder if theres a method to the madness.  It seems that they are experimenting with the reaction speed to toxicity.  How fast can the FDA catch known toxins entering the food supplies.

The spinach gave the idea, the pet food was an experiment.  Now with the chicken they're proving the theory that the FDA just can't keep up, and one could most likely introduce whatever they wanted into the American food supply, and it would be at least a few weeks before it was noticed, and another few weeks before it was identified and stopped. 

Unfortunately you're making sense.....
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: May 05, 2007, 07:23:56 pm »

I had a friend of mine who used the following as an email signature:

There's a word that begins with 'P' to describe someone who believes others are out to get them: Perceptive.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
loneash
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: May 05, 2007, 09:01:31 pm »

Call me paranoid but you make a lot of sense.    It is some form of hell when you get so you can not trust andone in authority.
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: May 05, 2007, 10:50:53 pm »

If you cook vegetables, it will kill e. coli and salmonella, right?  Assuming you get it up to a high enough temperature.  And I don't think you really can poison (w/coal slag, not bacterial or viral contaminants) frozen veggies in a way that won't wash off.  So, I was thinking stir-fried veggies (so as to get them to a really high temperature) and health food store tofu (or local meat fed locally-grown feed for you non-veggies) is the way to go for awhile.  Which sucks because I hate to cook.  Tongue

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
ShadowcatCM
Adept Member
Last Login:July 16, 2009, 05:14:58 pm

Religion: witchy Pagan - quite eclectic

Every action, even inaction, affects someone.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: May 05, 2007, 11:20:33 pm »

You're actually making sense here. I know that the government agencies often do simulations to test out reaction times. It wouldn't surprise me if this was the case.

Unfortunately, this kind of simulation has a cascade effect on our own economy and that of our allies (and enemies). I wouldn't want to find out how many people stopped buying pet food, how many others stopped buying farmed meat (as opposed to "safe" freerange meat) .... you get my drift.

If this is a simulation, I hope that they stop it soon.

Shadowcat

Shadowcat Cloudmoon
Chat Host at The Cauldron
Fausta
Reserve Staff
Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:December 08, 2012, 09:06:42 pm
Finland Finland

Religion: Thelema / Religio Romana -ish

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: May 06, 2007, 03:59:19 am »

Alllllrighty.  First they start off with pet food, now people food?  Call me paranoid, but it really makes me wonder if theres a method to the madness.

I suspect the madness is called: "Let's see if we can get away with making our pet food and feed products seem to contain more protein and thus more expensive than they do by adding melamine - after all, the Chinese are doing it in their own feed market and making profits!"

Considering how long it took for the pet food companies to start recalls (didn't they do tests, have test animals die and still do nothing for a while?), it isn't that odd to think they aren't as innocent to the whole deal they're trying to look like, you know.

In short: to me, big business' plans on trying to make more profit backfiring is a much more likely scenario than any (foreign) agency testing the vulnerability of the US food chain.

Fausta Acilia Mus
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: May 06, 2007, 08:34:13 am »

In short: to me, big business' plans on trying to make more profit backfiring is a much more likely scenario than any (foreign) agency testing the vulnerability of the US food chain.

Agreed. Besides, Chinese leaders aren't stupid, they know that while pets aren't generally considered familiy members in China, they are in the US and killing off a bunch of pets is more likely to get the US public behind a nuclear attack on the country doing it than anything short of the country nuking a few US cities would.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 27, 2022, 03:01:18 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: May 07, 2007, 12:47:44 am »

IOW, a case of "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by avarice," to revamp the old saying.  Seems more likely to me, too.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
loneash
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: May 07, 2007, 09:22:37 pm »

If you cook vegetables, it will kill e. coli and salmonella, right?  Assuming you get it up to a high enough temperature.  And I don't think you really can poison (w/coal slag, not bacterial or viral contaminants) frozen veggies in a way that won't wash off.  So, I was thinking stir-fried veggies (so as to get them to a really high temperature) and health food store tofu (or local meat fed locally-grown feed for you non-veggies) is the way to go for awhile.  Which sucks because I hate to cook.  Tongue

~~~Pyperlie<^>

It really does not take really high temp to kill e coli and salmonella.  Virises  a little different.  But it is not just the live bacteria you have to worry about.  Some produce what are called endo toxins.  The toxins remain active even after the bacteria are dead (since the toxins are a by product and not alive).
disillusioned
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2011, 11:13:36 am

Religion: Celtic Polytheist

I didn't do it.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: May 11, 2007, 04:07:19 pm »

and health food store tofu

Make sure it's local tofu then.  The majority of the soy products we get here come from China.

Out beyond ideas of right-doing and wrong-doing
There is a field:
I'll meet you there. - Rumi
Beachglass
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2013, 12:19:05 am

Religion: Nonspecific Pagan-Leaning

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #29: May 11, 2007, 11:30:26 pm »

Make sure it's local tofu then.  The majority of the soy products we get here come from China.

Really?  I thought soy was a big crop the U.S.  What do they do with it all?

"the further we go and older we grow the more we know the less we show"

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)