The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 22, 2022, 12:50:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2022, 12:50:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What's everyone's favorite music?  (Read 10894 times)
RyanCSmith
Journeyman
Last Login:October 13, 2009, 06:59:43 pm
United States United States

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 09, 2009, 05:19:40 pm »

Since I started it I'll have to say I'm into a lot of Viking and Folk Metal, Punk, and 70s and 80s Metal.  Favorite band would have to be Tyr Cheesy

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 09, 2009, 07:19:59 pm »

Since I started it I'll have to say I'm into a lot of Viking and Folk Metal, Punk, and 70s and 80s Metal.  Favorite band would have to be Tyr Cheesy

Always a fun question. I have fairly eclectic musical tastes, but I tend to gravitate toward old school alternative (late 70's - mid 80's), goth, darkwave, industrial, and Celtic (trad and modern). 

Erinlee
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 29, 2011, 04:26:38 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Pagan (no path is standing out)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 09, 2009, 08:50:35 pm »

I would have to go with Frank Zappa 100%. I can listen to something of his and then the next day hear something completely new in the same song.
raelyn218
Apprentice
Last Login:February 02, 2016, 11:45:02 am

Religion: Eclectic Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 09, 2009, 09:11:40 pm »

I'm probably the minority with this, but I love wrestling themes. Started in 1998 and continues today. I listen to rock, metal, a tiny bit of rap (like 1 or 2 songs actually), and basically anything that makes me want to move.

-Demonna
Asetam
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 02, 2010, 12:56:41 am

Religion: Ecclectic....for lack of a better way of putting it

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 09, 2009, 11:38:54 pm »

i am as ecclectic in my music as i am in my beliefs...... i listen to everything!!!  but, would have to say that my fav is country, particularly the tunes of the outlaws, blame it on my upbringin....
Kalonyction
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 07, 2009, 04:35:01 pm

Religion: Quasi-Experienced and Sort-Of-Seeking

(The Artist Formerly Known As BlueFeather)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 10, 2009, 06:11:38 am »

Hmmm. I do seem to be listening to an awful lot of Roy Zimmerman (political satirist) lately. A rare talent; the words "Tom Lehrer reincarnated" would come to mind if only Lehrer were actually dead (a distinction I'm sure Lehrer himself would appreciate), but unlike his predecessor, Zimmerman also writes seriously good serious stuff. His lustful and slightly kinky love song to Dick Cheney still has me in stitches.

~Val~*

... it was as if there were a scent in her own nostrils or a glittering trail
laid out before her, the path of the Moon. It was like
the directionless direction, the windless wind on her cheek...
Robin McKinley

And further still, at an unearthly height
One luminary clock against the sky
Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
Robert Frost
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: July 10, 2009, 07:37:18 am »

There is very little music I won't listen to (and probably like) at least once in a while.  I love music, period.  I don't really have a favorite genre--my favorite band would probably be Over the Rhine, which is...  er...  kind of soft-indie-rockish, I guess?  But I also really get into a lot of heavier rock, trance, folk, pop, "world" music, the occasional classical piece (orchestral or vocal), some country and bluegrass here and there, a bit of a capella, a touch of electronica...  The list goes on.  I don't even know how to classify some of it.  My favorites tend to not really group together along any lines that I've determined yet.  Mostly it's about the emotional response that they inspire, but, hey, there are songs that I just like 'cause I like the way they sound, too.  Shrug.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Browen
Journeyman
Last Login:April 04, 2010, 09:21:31 pm

Religion: Pagan
TCN ID: BrandyNFerrell

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 11, 2009, 12:43:00 pm »

i am as ecclectic in my music as i am in my beliefs...... i listen to everything!!!  but, would have to say that my fav is country, particularly the tunes of the outlaws, blame it on my upbringin....

I find very few people who have as an ecclectic taste as my best friend and I do. We listen to just about everything. There's a little R&B, rap, country, hard rock, soft rock, 70's, and the occasional broadway musical thrown in. I love celtic both new and old. It's such a beautiful sound; it helps me meditate or sleep.

We are what we think...
All that we are, arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts
We make our world
- Buddha
MannyAnalogue
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 28, 2011, 11:52:33 am

Religion: -

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 21, 2009, 02:43:54 am »

I think I'm a little late to this, but oh well. I can't sleep so here I am.

Because of the city where I grew up I have a lot of love for classic(80's/90's) hip hop and R&B. Because of the kids I used to skate with I love old school punk and older rock(Dead Kennedys, Bad Brains, Gray Matter The Stooges ect.). Because of some other friends I grew up with I like some electronic (Tricky, Bjork, Portishead, Massive Attack, Daft Punk, Royksopp) and rock(Blur, Radiohead, The Strokes, Weezer, Beck). Because half my family is Puerto Rican, I love all the latin genres - Salsa, Bachata, Merengue, Cumbia and my grandmother from the other side got me into Johnny Cash as a little kid. I love jazz too(sorry there's no 'because' for this one).

Probably over-answered the question huh?

Anyways, lately I've been listening to Beck - Modern Guilt and Weezer - Pinkerton.

- Manny
Neuwerld
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 21, 2009, 10:11:10 pm

Religion: Atheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 21, 2009, 09:17:38 pm »

Some good taste in music in these parts.

I like a lot of music; EBM, darkwave, industrial, drone, "steampunk". Really like beats and 80s electronic sounds together. Stuff like Front 242, Bigod 20, Laibach, X-Marks the Pedwalk, Leæther Strip, Skinny Puppy, Das Ich, Zdziz Beks, Oneiroid Psychosis, Velvet Acid Christ, Abney Park, among tons of others. I find that 80s and early 90s music is the best, with bands that originated in that time still being good. 70s electronic like Ash Ra Tempel/Ashra or Bruce Haack is great too, back when they used circuit bending to create sounds.

herbalgoddess13
Adept Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 08:07:55 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: herbalgoddess13

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 21, 2009, 09:54:17 pm »

I have odd taste in music.  Love old 70's/80's punk, goth and new wave.  I could listen to Joy Division, Bauhaus and The Smiths every day.  But I also love classic rock, Celtic music, folk and even some modern rock.  Not much for death metal, rap, country or screemo (sp) but I don't hate it either.  I just went through a strange Our Lady Peace thing and for about a month I listened to them almost every day.  Things come and go for me.

“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ~ Neil Gaiman

My Blog
maverickmuse
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 13, 2012, 05:26:50 pm

Religion: Polytheistic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 21, 2009, 11:21:32 pm »

Music must be one of the great gifts of the Gods.  My one Grandmother sang Opera on stage and as a small child was introduced to Classical Greats.  Her voice sang everything beautifully, though, from "Danny Boy" to all the childhood classics.  My Grandfather used to pick me as his Polka partner all of the time.  Mama loved the Big Bands, my Dad was pure country from the old school, with a taste for some r&b.  My kids listen to everything, for better or worse.   Grin  Yikes, I feel like I'm short changing them all, really.  Our world has always been filled with music and song.

I love it all and some.  Classic Rock is my personal catch all, but that includes so much, but two of my favorites bands happen to be The Moody Blues and Pink Floyd.  Or am I still Waylon Jenning's gal...or all that and more?

One of the great things about music and song is that even if my voice isn't so good, it still feels great to sing.  Listening to my kids singing along to the radio in the car never fails to bring me joy and hearing one of the kids out at the close line belting out a song, somehow, almost always brings tears to my eyes.  Music must, indeed, be a huge gift.      
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 11:32:53 pm by maverickmuse » Logged

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~~Author Unknown~~
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: July 22, 2009, 08:21:46 pm »

Pretty sure I answered something like this on here a long time ago, but it doesn't take much encouragement to get me to go on about music.

I like a little bit of everything and a lot of the blues.  Especially electric blues.  Especially electric blues guitar.  I heart Stevie Ray Vaughan, Albert King, and Buddy Guy.  And, OMG, Jimi Hendrix!  (Relatively new convert to the Church of Hendrix - well, a few years now - my enthusiasm knows no bounds.)

Also this:
hu
Love old 70's/80's punk, goth and new wave.  I could listen to Joy Division, Bauhaus and The Smiths every day.
This is pretty much what I did listen to every day in high school and college.  Still have a BIG crush on Peter Murphy.

Then there's Classic Rock - Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, the Doors.  The Beatles - after they discovered drugs.  And did I mention Hendrix?

And old-school country - I'm suddenly obsessed with Johnny Cash.

Folk music - Particularly middle Eastern and anything with a lot of drums.  And of course Irish (something with a good fiddle in it though, I'm totally burnt out on "atmospheric" Irish stuff like Clannad and Enya.  Used to listen to them constantly.  My sweetie still does.)  Bluegrass.

Jazz - As long as it's hot.  Don't like light jazz AT ALL.  Gimme some Bird, or Monk, or Miles.  Some 'Trane though he can get too too mellow for me depending on my mood.  Older big band stuff like Glen Miller.  The first concert I ever saw was Dizzy Gillespie and I will always love him. 

Classical - (Using the term in the common sense, not referring a specific musical period) Don't like anything to "pretty" (Chopin gives me hives)  Love Stravinsky, Lizst, Bach, Wagner - anything with real power behind it.

Catch all ("alternative"? "New Wave?") rock-ish - The Cult, U2, Nine Inch Nails, The Cure, The Police, The Alarm

Don't like modern country at all, and I've yet to meet a rap song I liked but I remain somewhat open to the possiblity - at least in theory.  Kinda clueless on anything recorded after about 1990.  Don't really do "dance" music, though I have been known to whirl around madly to the Doors.
semperfemme
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 10, 2010, 10:57:11 am

Religion: Hellenic Polytheist Reconstructionism

Ogen van Verschuldigd

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: July 23, 2009, 12:22:10 am »

Classical- I'm a huge fan of Handel, Mozart, Chopin, Beethoven, and Tchaikovsky

Classic Rock- Stevie Nicks, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Jefferson Airplane

New Metal- Disturbed, Amon Amarth, Dethklok (even though they're not a "real band" I love their music)

Bollywood! Bollywood! Bollywood! I love the music and can dance around to it all day. I'm a big Nancy Ajram fan as well and I love Baladi. Dead Can Dance gets pretty heavy rotation. Rupaul, don't really know how to classify her. Dance? Brazillian Samba is also good to me, perfect "house cleaning" music- mopping and swinging hips is great exercise.

I have very eclectic tastes, I love just about all music- rap will get some play if I'm in the mood as well. The only music I don't listen to is country.

"You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it. "- Malcolm X
Lizard
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 12, 2011, 11:23:10 pm

Religion: Melting Pot, for now

Everything is transient.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: July 23, 2009, 02:05:02 am »

Oh I'll jump in here too.  We all seem to have pretty ecclectic tastes...  I listen to just about anything depending on my mood.  Typically I'm happy listening to classic and new alternative.  I go through phases where I veto Country, but then will willingly listen to it other times. If I really need a country fix I will put in Dwight Yoakum and am good to go for a while.

A month ago I got done listening to Hoopy Frood over and over and over again.  They fall into the Psy-Ambience genre, depending on who you talk to.  Too many bands/artists that I like to list, and tomorrow the list would be completely different, I few that I think would always be near the top - (in no particular order) - Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, The White Stripes/The Raconteurs, U2, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Cure, Depeche Mode - ok that's enough.  Cheesy

Time to shed my skin, again...

"What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
    "You ask a glass of water." -Douglas Adams

Is the glass half-empty or half-full?  Well, since you can't add anything to it, without displacing some gas, liquid or solid, I would say it is completely full.  - Me

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)