The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 05, 2021, 02:36:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 05, 2021, 02:36:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Creating your own spells  (Read 2726 times)
PurpleCrow
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 28, 2010, 12:39:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 10, 2009, 11:39:23 am »

I want to start creating my own spells as I am not a fan of using other peoples words and ways, I would prefer the spells that I do to be very personal to me, not someone else. I was wondering if you were to create a basic list of elements that are needed to create a spell, what would that list contain? I mean, would you consider the timing to be important, the use of tools etc. Do you think most spells should contain these "basic elements"? Obviously, I know that it does depend on the intent behind the spell and what sort of situation you are in. Relating to the situation you are in, for the sake of my nosey-ness, lets say that you are in a situation to be able to perform each spell the way that you want, at the time that you want and with the items that you want.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

oonagh
Journeyman
Last Login:July 13, 2009, 12:57:53 pm
United States United States

Religion: pantheist

be yourself. everyone else is taken.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 10, 2009, 01:26:38 pm »

I want to start creating my own spells as I am not a fan of using other peoples words and ways, I would prefer the spells that I do to be very personal to me, not someone else. I was wondering if you were to create a basic list of elements that are needed to create a spell, what would that list contain? I mean, would you consider the timing to be important, the use of tools etc. Do you think most spells should contain these "basic elements"? Obviously, I know that it does depend on the intent behind the spell and what sort of situation you are in. Relating to the situation you are in, for the sake of my nosey-ness, lets say that you are in a situation to be able to perform each spell the way that you want, at the time that you want and with the items that you want.

i would want the moon to be in the propper phase (waxing or waning). i would want representations of the 4 elements (for me, that's air, earth, water and fire) and, finally, my voice.

what i say would be in rhyme (i just like it that way...it's totally not important). i would keep everything positive regardless of what i'd like the final outcome to be for myself (i.e. 'i hope my neighbors find a wonderful place to live, in another town that they love and that they are very happy'...if i wanted to make them go away from me).

blessed be,
oonagh
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 10, 2009, 01:33:22 pm »

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Spellcraft-Life-Crafting-Positive/dp/1593372728/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247247045&sr=1-1

AntlerandHerb.com
PurpleCrow
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 28, 2010, 12:39:07 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 10, 2009, 01:37:46 pm »

I'm going to get that! Looks really interesting! Thanks  Grin

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 10, 2009, 02:59:43 pm »

I want to start creating my own spells as I am not a fan of using other peoples words and ways, I would prefer the spells that I do to be very personal to me, not someone else. I was wondering if you were to create a basic list of elements that are needed to create a spell, what would that list contain? I mean, would you consider the timing to be important, the use of tools etc.

My basic process:

1) What do I want to do?

2) How immediate is it? (i.e. is this a sudden need - healing for someone in an accident, say - or is it a long-term thing (like finding the best job for me if I'm already employed and have some time to look for the best fit, not just immediate paying the bills.)

3) Does it fall into the realm of deities or other entities I already have an ongoing relationship with? Does it fit with work I'm going to be doing in a group setting (and if so, what methods make sense there)? Are there other things that might suggest a particular approach or method?

4) What's handy (if it's a short-term need) and what's most emotionally engaging to me (in terms of longer plans): these guide my approach to the method. For example, if I'm thinking a prosperity working, and I have great candles and some very suitable oils on hand, I might be more likely to do candle magic than if I've used them all up last time.

5) I pull something together. My default is for a circle cast in keeping with my tradition, for the use of tools in moderation (I am not obsessive about them, but tools by definition simplify certain parts of the process, and this is good), and for the use of chant or movement (or both) as my preferred methods of energy movement and focus. But I've done any number of other things, if specific circumstances made that make sense.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
summerwind
Apprentice
Last Login:March 25, 2011, 09:41:05 pm

Religion: wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 11, 2009, 05:17:46 am »

well definately like she said what you have on hand will determine to some degree what you use in your spell. And like the other person said, there are ways to get your neighbor to move away that can benefit them as well as you, if you wanted to do that. So those are good suggestions.
and like the first person, almost all of my spells have a rhyme or at least a chant, since you need to not just focus the intent but increase the energy of the intent in a way that can release its full strength.
as for my answer, versatile/basic items that can be adapted to many spells would be: candles, incense, herbs and spices, oils, plants/flowers/tree bark(in spells when I use things from nature I typically use a very small amount), paper/ink/fabric, poppets/wax figures, symbols, drawings, you can make amulets and talismans.Additional items would be any mundane items that you own that already have the proper emotional energies/imprints of their history that would be associated with your intent, which sometimes would just focus you or attune you. You could use photographs. And don't forget that you can use the power of the elements and call certain deities associated with what you are trying to do to add to it. You may also want to use physical actions that symbolize what you're doing.

But the most important thing is not what you use but HOW you use these items. each can be used in many different ways and combinations, but always these must SYMBOLIZE or REPRESENT or CORRESPOND TOthe idea which you are amking a reality, the acheivement of your intent. Also, if you are wording it be very specific sot here isn't any "universe misinterpretation" for example.

Writing your own spell is easy; if you can perform a spell written by someone else, you can make one yourself. Have you ever read a spell online, and you disagree with ingredients, method, wording, etc.? Well you can change that spell and make it better at any time.
write your spell down and you could read it as you do it or you could read it many times before doing it so you have it down.

Once again if you have a pressing need, you might use the minimum needed required, but it will not be as powerful as if you have the time to do it in the right phase of the moon or with the perfect herb. There are times where you improvise and make it up. You can make a spell out of ANYTHING, because the #1 most important ingredient in a spell is YOU: your ability to imagine something clearly and hold it in focus, and to feel it wholly and completely as if it is here, to feel it strongly, and summon up your own personal energies and affix them to that image, then shoot it all out like a blazing star as strong as you can, with complete unbending faith, that your will, IS, because as you will, it will be and nothing could break what you created as strongly as you did.
You can do that with a blade of grass, a rock, dirt, a piece of your clothes, your spit, a tube of lipstick, whatever ANYTHING can be used in a spell. You can use a pencil as a wand, a kitchen knife as an athame, a lighter and some twigs as a candle...there is never a time or a situation you can't do a spell, unless YOU don't have your heart in it. There are strong spells, and weak spells, and you make them strong or weak.
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 11, 2009, 03:44:40 pm »

There are many different kinds of magic, but what I practice is nature/natural magic and so that is specifically what I am referring to here. Basically I'm the kind of witch that uses whatever's on hand, but I mostly use things from my kitchen cupboard.

No, I don't think that there is a basic list of components needed for any spell. Whatever my intent behind the spell is dictates the tools that I will use. For instance, if I was casting a warding or protection spell of some sort (either for myself, my house or even my car) I would use the 'ingredients' that would help create the 'recipe' that I'm after. So for warding I would use peppermint, sage, or chives. Maybe I would create a charm bag with these things and use it wherever it was needed, or maybe I would burn them and use the smoke to purify.

However, there are a few little spells that I use on a regular basis and will adapt them to fit my specific needs at the time. The tealight petition spell is one. Where all I use is a tealight, a little scrap of paper with my intent written on it, and perhaps a few relevant herbs sprinkled into the wax. This is such an adaptable spell; and it's simple, too.

But I think the basic components of a spell would differ depending on specifically what kind of magic it is that you practiced.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
T Bone
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 15, 2009, 02:55:52 am

Religion: Theistic Satanism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 11, 2009, 10:23:29 pm »

Most of my best spells are impromptu.  I always record them just after I perform them.  I don't always worry about timing - although I do try 90% of the time to align my timing and moon phases/planetary influences with my intention(s).  I also don't really have any kind of outline - but most of my spells involve symbolic parchment burning.  Most anything else I let be dictated by my intuition.

"Death is delightful, Death is dawn - the waking from a weary night of fevers unto Truth and Light."  ~James Russell Lowell
RhiannaRaven
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 19, 2010, 01:55:20 pm

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 14, 2009, 12:01:42 pm »

A spell can be as elaborate or as simple as you want.  I myself, prefer simple.  Because you dont want to spend the whole time working your spell worrying about if you forgot something.  That will pretty much defeat the purpose dont you think?

All you really need for a spell is your inintion and your own will. 
Allati
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 15, 2012, 06:51:13 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox and eclectic pagan
TCN ID: Allati

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 15, 2009, 05:13:20 pm »

I don't tend to work "spells" as particular rituals. But they always have a few things in common.

1. Strong intent.
2. Strong focus on a deity, a group of deities, or even a principle (like Ma'at) to grant the result.
3. Wording it as if it is already true.

Everything else is secondary. I have a lot of things I "usually" do but they are not *needed*.

(I do 'magic work' outwith this, but that's just energy work)

Henytenwepwawet
Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 07, 2009, 01:42:53 pm »

This is more or less how I go about it:
-Why am I doing the ritual, and what do I want to come of the ritual.
-How necessary is it for me to wait for the proper time- if I can't wait for the next major moon sign, I look up the next best corresponding day.
-What kind of tools would be suit my needs. Generally, I don't use a lot of tools. To me, tools aren't necessary.
-What types of deities or correspondences would help get my point across better.
And from there I start to set up the ritual. Overall, I don't tend to do things that are ornate in nature, I just don't see the point. I create stuff usually within hours of doing the ritual, because I want to do it before I lose the momentum Tongue I also don't normally worry about the time of day or anything like that either, because I don't find it to be that important (it's never effected how well something has worked for me).

So yeah, there is my general outline. Not very specific, I'm sorry. But perhaps it'll help.
-Devo

dA | FB | LJ

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)