The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 02, 2020, 04:24:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 02, 2020, 04:24:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: I'm Lost  (Read 7400 times)
Lovesdalionking
Master Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:39:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Searching Solitary Human Being

You are beautiful, no matter what

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 10, 2009, 10:16:32 pm »

Spiritually speaking, I am lost. Very lost.

Please don't put down the "You're just a teen" card immediately when you read this, because to me, it's more then just me being a teen.

I used to be so in tune with my spiritual path, but now...I am confused. My boyfriend is being protective of me with some spiritual stuff that I am interested in. He thinks some of these things I am interested have "demonic" tendencies. I know I shouldn't really tell my boyfriend these things too much. Only when he is ready to hear them. Likewise, he has some beliefs that I think are way too fear based and rigid. (He's Russian Orthodox) No offence to anyone that has these views or is of the Orthodox faith, I just don't think being rigid really is a good thing, especially for spirituality.

Also there are practically no pagan or new agey teens at all where I live. I know they're out there, it's just far and few. I really wish I can find them.

So does anyone know of any groups I can go to with people 12-19 years that are pagan or have new agey views? I feel so alone... Cry

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Erinlee
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 29, 2011, 04:26:38 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Pagan (no path is standing out)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 10, 2009, 10:41:10 pm »

So does anyone know of any groups I can go to with people 12-19 years that are pagan or have new agey views? I feel so alone... Cry

Sad to say many groups only allow people 21 years of age or older into their covens or other religious groups due to legal reasons. I am still 20 (even in Canada) and I can't find a coven in my area that would accept me. It is a serious bummer, but internet will be your best friends during the teen years. Sites like this will be here with friendly folks to help you out, that  will not judge.
Lovesdalionking
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 10, 2009, 10:44:11 pm »

Sad to say many groups only allow people 21 years of age or older into their covens or other religious groups due to legal reasons. I am still 20 (even in Canada) and I can't find a coven in my area that would accept me. It is a serious bummer, but internet will be your best friends during the teen years. Sites like this will be here with friendly folks to help you out, that  will not judge.

Well, thank you anyway. Funny, there are PLENTY of Christian youth groups, but pagan? Zero. Tongue
Erinlee
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 29, 2011, 04:26:38 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Pagan (no path is standing out)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 10, 2009, 11:21:21 pm »

Well, thank you anyway. Funny, there are PLENTY of Christian youth groups, but pagan? Zero. Tongue

I just hung out with the Christian kids. They got to play dodgeball, so I was down for that kind of fun.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: July 11, 2009, 12:32:14 pm »

Please don't put down the "You're just a teen" card immediately when you read this, because to me, it's more then just me being a teen.

I used to be so in tune with my spiritual path, but now...I am confused. My boyfriend is being protective of me with some spiritual stuff that I am interested in. He thinks some of these things I am interested have "demonic" tendencies. I know I shouldn't really tell my boyfriend these things too much. Only when he is ready to hear them. Likewise, he has some beliefs that I think are way too fear based and rigid. (He's Russian Orthodox) No offence to anyone that has these views or is of the Orthodox faith, I just don't think being rigid really is a good thing, especially for spirituality.

Also there are practically no pagan or new agey teens at all where I live. I know they're out there, it's just far and few. I really wish I can find them.

I would really take a long look at your relationship with your boyfriend.

There may be plenty of other reasons to stay with him, but let's face it - if he thinks you're doing demonic things and it's your religion, it might be worth taking another look at the relationship.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
dann
Apprentice
Last Login:October 06, 2009, 08:52:11 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 12, 2009, 02:24:24 pm »

There may be plenty of other reasons to stay with him, but let's face it - if he thinks you're doing demonic things and it's your religion, it might be worth taking another look at the relationship.

Confusion is expected when your somewhat new to this path.  There are so many different avenues in Paganism.  Take your time and check out the different traditions.  I've been a practicing witch for 30 years and it takes time to see exactly what path you want to take.  If your boyfriend feels that what you practice is demonic that is his opinion and even if you are practicing the darker side that is your choice.  You follow the path that is right for you.

Take care, Dann
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: August 12, 2009, 02:29:37 pm »

Confusion is expected when your somewhat new to this path.  There are so many different avenues in Paganism.  Take your time and check out the different traditions.  I've been a practicing witch for 30 years and it takes time to see exactly what path you want to take.  If your boyfriend feels that what you practice is demonic that is his opinion and even if you are practicing the darker side that is your choice.  You follow the path that is right for you.

Take care, Dann

er - I sincerely doubt you meant to quote ME on that.

Please try to quote the person you're replying to, not just anyone.  Thanks. Smiley

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 12, 2009, 02:45:41 pm »

Don't worry you aren't alone.  Believe it or not, you will be very surprised to know there are other people who are pagan like you, but are unfraid to be open about it.  Given the ages you listed, 12 years would be most difficult to find a coven or a group to join, unless it was a kids' group within an adult group.  You may have to wait until you are 18 and do something then.  You can always check out witchvox.com for local listings.  I hope you can find what you are looking for, until then the internet will have to suffice.

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
TisiphoneSeraph
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:27:49 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch
TCN ID: TisiphoneSeraph

Dreams speak the truth we dare not seek

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 12, 2009, 04:06:31 pm »

That card gets so old, doesn't it? Spirituality is important at any age. It's part of being human.

If it helps any, just know you're not alone. I'm in the same boat; 17 in the thick of the Bible Belt. Most teens in my area are either hardcore Christian or vaguely atheist. Needless to say, spiritually speaking, I don't fit in with either group.

You might be surprised though by the number of open minded Christians and other religious followers who would love to talk about your spiritual interests. I found out that quite a few of my friends dabbled in alternative paths at some point and still wished to learn more. Though I would use caution with who you tell. In my area, you have to be careful of what you let slip.

I definitely agree with whoever mentioned online groups. Yes, it's not the same as having a flesh and blood friend to hang out with and who knows all the people you're talking about, but people in groups like this one have a wealth of knowledge. When you're just starting out, that's one of the most important things. That and learning to sort out the truth from the Fluff Bunnies.

As for your boyfriend, I would start by asking questions. Be honest yet polite. Invite him to ask questions about your interests. If you don't know the answer to some of his, just be upfront and say you don't know. It's likely that you both have a slightly warped view of each others perspectives and the only way to help that at all it to ask.

I wish you luck!
Lovesdalionking
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 12, 2009, 11:52:53 pm »

Thanks guys. Smiley Thank you for all of your advice.

I used to be a Christian from November of last year until August of this year. Even then my views were different then the Evangelical Christian kids I was surrounded by. Roll Eyes

My bf and I are doing better. We are taking a break from each other. And I still love him, but I just don't want to talk to him about my views while he's still young. Tongue

It's likely that you both have a slightly warped view of each others perspectives and the only way to help that at all it to ask.

I don't understand why you would think my view is "warped". Can you explain this to me?

TisiphoneSeraph
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:27:49 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch
TCN ID: TisiphoneSeraph

Dreams speak the truth we dare not seek

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 15, 2009, 10:44:21 pm »

I don't understand why you would think my view is "warped". Can you explain this to me?

We all view each everything in certain ways and the way we view things is hardly ever wholly accurate. It's like a funhouse mirror; the image you see isn't the same as the thing or person being reflected. It's not just you, it's everyone has opinions or information (and lack there of) that colors how they perceive things. It's just a fact of life.

But by asking questions, you can get an image that is closer to the thing being reflected than before.

When I say warped, I didn't mean that it was twisted or any other connotations of the word. Sorry if I offended you in any way.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 10:47:51 pm by TisiphoneSeraph » Logged
Lovesdalionking
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 16, 2009, 10:31:18 am »

We all view each everything in certain ways and the way we view things is hardly ever wholly accurate. It's like a funhouse mirror; the image you see isn't the same as the thing or person being reflected. It's not just you, it's everyone has opinions or information (and lack there of) that colors how they perceive things. It's just a fact of life.

But by asking questions, you can get an image that is closer to the thing being reflected than before.

When I say warped, I didn't mean that it was twisted or any other connotations of the word. Sorry if I offended you in any way.

Well, I did take it literally, because that's what warped means, if you look at the definition of the word.
It's alright though, I now understand what you were trying to say. Thanks for explaining it and thanks for the advice. ^_^
Lovesdalionking
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 18, 2009, 11:54:30 am »

Now replying to this past post, there were definitely reasons to stick with him. But I had to realize for myself that it just wasn't working.

I'm definitely a lot clearer on my spiritual path. Smiley Our relationship though, is dead.
Night Gazer
Last Login:May 17, 2011, 02:34:05 pm

Religion: Eclectic Paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 17, 2011, 02:04:12 pm »

I agree with the person who said that you might want to evaluate your relationship. Your boyfirend attacking your spiritual path/beliefs is not good for you. I would try to explain to him why these ways are not demonic, and if he becomes more understanding, great. If not, you may want to re-think things.

As far as groups go, I know that teens go to a group in my area. It's not technically a coven, so it's not prohibited. But this group does rituals on the sabbats and meets up and stuff, and the teens can participate if they want to. That might be something you can look into for your area. Check out witchvox.com for listings in your area, they have info for both groups and covens, and obviously in your situation you would be looking for the groups.

Good luck!
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #14: May 17, 2011, 03:35:43 pm »

Night Gazer,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion easier to follow, and it's required by our rules.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

Marilyn
Cauldron Staff

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)