The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 11, 2021, 06:48:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 11, 2021, 06:48:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Safe Space  (Read 4422 times)
dartxni
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 28, 2010, 09:47:31 pm
United States United States

Religion: Searching

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 13, 2009, 03:19:36 pm »

I am moving up into the mountains. I am going to be living up a canyon about 3/4 miles from the road. And at first at least, I will be doing this alone. My aunt lives on a ranch a short 40 minute walk from where I will be living. I am going to be living in the cabin my dad grew up in with 4 siblings and his mom and step dad. I love it up there- in the daylight. But I can get pretty nervous up there are night. There are mice, and spiders and books about the occult on the bookshelf. In the woods, there are cougars and bears.

But, I'm going to try it out. The thing is, I can get pretty scared of the dark when I am alone. And I am more scared of the unknown than I am of known dangers, such as cougars and bears and thieves. So I was thinking that I need to create a ritual so that I can designate at least one area of the cabin (my bedroom) as safe space. I need to believe, in the deep recesses of my mind, that ghosts will not enter that room. The cabin is full of old things, from the 1970s, when a family lived there. In daylight, I love the sense of nostalgia it evokes. But nostalgia in daylight becomes eerie at night.

The last person who really lived in the cabin (though it has been upkept since then) was my step Grandpa Delmar. He was a really interesting person, a consciencious objector and war tax resister in WWII, a farmer, and a general noncomformist. He died in his sleep in 1995 in India, under unusual circumstances. That is, he was probably poisoned and robbed. He was an extremely peaceful person.

I am a skeptic, but I grew up a 3rd generation Theosophist, so belief in the occult, and ghosts is in my bones.  So I need to convince my bones that I am safe in this cabin.

Anybody got any ideas about rituals that I could preform for this purpose? Preferably a ritual in which I could leave visual aides to remind myself of the firm boundaries I have created?

I just had a thought. I think I should put up a shrine to honor the memory of Grandpa Delmar, especially because the main reason I am going up there is to experience this place he created, built with his own two hands, literally lugging everything in the cabin up the trail, and even creating parts of the cabin out of dead fall from the souroundings. There is a deep feeling of contemplation in this place, and the room I will use as my bedroom is in fact his study.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 03:34:48 pm by dartxni » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 13, 2009, 07:13:57 pm »

Anybody got any ideas about rituals that I could preform for this purpose? Preferably a ritual in which I could leave visual aides to remind myself of the firm boundaries I have created?

I ward my place invisibly, by driving stakes carved with protective runes into the ground at the four corners.  If you need something more visible, you can use stones instead.  These can be touched, spoken to, drawn/painted on, etc.  I also like to use a sprinkling of salt all the way 'round.

Brina
david.lee264
Last Login:December 16, 2009, 05:09:08 am

Religion: Christion

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: December 16, 2009, 05:09:08 am »

Its a nice one which should be promoted in a nice way.
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 16, 2009, 10:15:31 am »

I've got a couple of things I do but I don't have the time to post them atm - gotta go to work - I'll be back later on to add something hopefully helpful.

For this, though:
The thing is, I can get pretty scared of the dark when I am alone.

On the practical side, get yourself a cheerful night light or two, like the ones made for kids' bedrooms (that is, if the cabin has electricity) Smiley After years of working graveyard, a problem I encountered when switching to day shift is that I get the willies trying to fall asleep in the dark, so I've got one shaped like a pineapple.

Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 16, 2009, 10:30:19 am »

Well there are many things that you could do. Ultimately, it's all a matter of what will help you to believe you're protected the most.

If you're very close with your gpa, or think that he has the means to keep you safe, perhaps setting up a shrine for him, and invoking him to help keep you safe would be an idea. You could cleanse the house with sage, holy water, salt (a plethera of things) and then seal it with a barrier or ward to keep bad things out. If you need something visible, you could place tarot cards, pictures, figurines, stones, candles- whatever, around the perimeter of your room and/or cabin, to remind you that you are safe within the confines of those items. Another idea would be to recharge those items daily or weekly, to help reaffirm that you're safe, and that all is well.

If it were me, I'd start off with a good cleansing, and then work from there. That way, you've given yourself a clean slate to go off of.

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
Phoenix_Rae
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 04, 2011, 10:56:29 pm

Religion: Wiccan Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 16, 2010, 02:22:39 pm »

...The thing is, I can get pretty scared of the dark when I am alone...

I have had the same problem. That is, being afraid to be by myself at night (same fear, different source). Initially I slept with my athame under my pillow, but then I did this (all on gut, no planning--it was the middle of the night!):

I first purified the indoor space with sweet grass (sage would also work amazingly, as would brine/holy water), then I warded all of the windows and doors of the house (even the closet doors because they are portals). I just followed my intuition as to how to do the ward: I drew an invoking pentacle over each with the smoking sweet grass braid and charged each portal with protecting me and
my home/space from all perils which would dare to approach me/it from any direction.

I then cast a circle/sphere around the whole house (using visualization--it was the middle of the night when I did all this, so I stayed indoors!) with the intention that the sun, moon, wind, rain, the turning of the Earth & seasons, etc would continuously recharge my sphere of protection. I also asked my Goddess to (please and thank you) take her lioness form and prowl around the circle and tear to shreds any peril that dare approach-physical or not.

Then, when I was about to get into bed (and my mind decided to run off and babble on about what if this and what if that and fear fear fear) I said "Enough!!" and asked my Dieties to surround and aid me: I then imagined a hot flame permeating my entire body and especially my nattering mind--burning away all of the fear, and the fear story that my mind wouldn't let go of.  

I have been SO much more comfortable and at ease ever since. If I have a fear relapse, I breathe into my protective circle, invoke my Dieties, and burn out the fear story. It has been quite freeing for me.

I hope that helps!
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: June 16, 2010, 02:53:32 pm »

You've gotten some great advice about cleansing and warding.  I don't have anything to add to that.

But I do want to suggest that you might consider carrying a protection amulet (or talisman, I'm not really clear on the distinction between "amulet" and "talisman").  For me, amulets almost always take the form of jewelry I can wear 24/7, but they can be anything you can carry on your body.  A stone in your pocket, a drawing or photo in your wallet, a piece of cloth tied to your belt loop, a keyring, a penny in your loafer.   Wink

With an amulet, you have portable safe space that can enhance your physical safe space.

Just a thought...

Good luck with your move!

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Taliesin
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 06:01:23 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Celtic Panen/Polytheism

You are a child of the universe...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 16, 2010, 04:57:07 pm »

I am moving up into the mountains.

Good luck! The move (and location) sounds really exciting, and I'm pretty much jealous. I don't really have much to offer in regard to advice, most of my points have already been covered, and my experience in anything and everything spiritual is pretty much nada at the moment, but I wish you all the best all the same!

With an amulet, you have portable safe space that can enhance your physical safe space.

Really good idea.

'When you do things from your soul you feel a river moving in you, a joy. When action come from another section, the feeling disappears.' - Rumi

'The landscape is always the sand, the sky, the clouds, the sea. Only the waves change, always the same and always different.' - L.E
Phoenix_Rae
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 04, 2011, 10:56:29 pm

Religion: Wiccan Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 17, 2010, 12:02:39 pm »

Amulet's a good idea for a physical manifestation. You could also do something as easy as doing some cord/earth magic. When I was needing some extra protection everywhere I went, I braided some embroidery floss (I used 3 colors that I felt drawn to, but you could use fewer or more) while chanting a short couple of lines I wrote about its purpose (protecting me). Then I tied it around my ankle (I also put 3 Hematite rings on it, but that isn't necessary), and left it there until I felt it needed to come off about 4 months later.

I like the KISS approach: Keep it Simple Sweetie! Whatever you decide to do, remember that for the most impact be sure the ritual/whatever speaks to all of your parts (the child/preverbal part, the thinking part, and the spiritual part!). Particularly since it is about fear of the dark-a very real and deeply rooted primal fear.
FyreDragon
Last Login:September 20, 2010, 11:50:28 am

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 18, 2010, 06:02:02 pm »

Here is something I used several years ago when I ended a really bad relationship and was afraid of stalking.  I included my cat in the ritual but any other person who lives in the home can be included. It's not to everyone tastes but I resonate with ritual.

PROTECTION SPELL:

This spell is best performed on a Saturday, the day of Saturn which is associated with contraction and thus protection. Find a quiet place where you will not have any disturbances for at least 20 minutes.

First, set three white candles in the center of your table or altar. If you are doing this working to protect someone other than yourself, place a picture of him/her or write their name on a piece of paper and place it with the candles.

Place a protection talisman in front of the candles.

Anoint the three candles from top to bottom with Protection Oil. Light the first candle while you say, "Spirits of Protection, surround me and my home with light and love. Let none who wish me harm penetrate this sphere of light. Protect me and those I love from harm, so mote it be."

Light the second candle and repeat your invocation. Pause for a few moments and picture yourself or your loved one surrounded by a sphere of light.

Repeat both steps with the third candle.

While your candles are burning, using quill, ink and parchment to write down what you need protection for (you should think about this before you begin your spell work).

Next, light some charcoal and place it in an incense burner or heat safe dish, put a pinch of Protection incense on the charcoal. Take your piece of parchment and waft it through the smoke of the incense while you chant the original invocation, "Spirits of Protection, surround me and my home with light and love. Let none who wish me harm penetrate this sphere of light. Protect me and those I love from harm, so mote it be."

Fold you parchment up into a small square and place in along with the herbs and a stone with protection properties into a mojo bag. You can carry the mojo bag with you wherever you go, or you may simply place it under your pillow.

Finally, you will let your candles burn all the way out while you meditate on the sphere of protective light surrounding you or your loved one. Once your candles are done burning, your Protection Talisman will be charged and ready for you to wear or place under your pillow with your mojo bag.

You may repeat this spell whenever you want to recharge it. Whenever you see results from your spell work, always thank the universe for the assistance provided.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: September 18, 2010, 09:46:52 pm »

Here is something I used several years ago when I ended a really bad relationship and was afraid of stalking.  I included my cat in the ritual but any other person who lives in the home can be included. It's not to everyone tastes but I resonate with ritual.

That's a nice (and easy) spell. I take it it worked for you?

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
FyreDragon
Last Login:September 20, 2010, 11:50:28 am

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: September 20, 2010, 11:42:58 am »

That's a nice (and easy) spell. I take it it worked for you?

Yes it did, gave me the peace of mind to work on the real issue---self esteem  Smiley
Go
Journeyman
Last Login:May 30, 2011, 10:32:23 pm

Religion: A Process

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: September 27, 2010, 08:49:01 pm »

I am a skeptic, but I grew up a 3rd generation Theosophist, so belief in the occult, and ghosts is in my bones.  So I need to convince my bones that I am safe in this cabin.

I suggest getting a pet.  I'm a cat person myself, but given your situation a dog might be a better choice.  It's amazing how much safer and less creeped out you'll feel when there is another warm body in the place.  Plus it'll give you someone to blame any "weird noises" on. 

On the spiritual side I would suggest physical wards and lucky charms.  The visual appeal can really help settle your nerves.  Set up witch balls and stone "border markers" outside the cabin, and hang little charms of whatever type you like over windows, door-frames, and the head of your bed.  I like reflective things, evil eye charms and Buddha hands myself.

Best of luck to you.

Measure twice, cut once, and buy extra material anyway.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)