The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2019, 05:06:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2019, 05:06:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Worst Recipe Ever!  (Read 12161 times)
Melamphoros
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: July 16, 2009, 11:47:28 pm »

The thread title explains it all.

What is the worse recipe you came across?  Did it sound good before you tried it?  If so, then did you figure out what went wrong?  Did you manage to fix the recipe and managed to make something good out of it?

Note that since we have been exposed to numerous god-awful recipes involving SPAM, it wouldn't be fair to count them since being gross is a given.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 07:21:46 am by Star, Reason: Correcting typo in subject line » Logged

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Erinlee
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 29, 2011, 04:26:38 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Pagan (no path is standing out)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 17, 2009, 01:45:46 am »

I tried making these healthy for you chicken winglets and they were just nasty. It was from "Eat, Shrink, and Be Merry", which surprised me, since normally I love all those recipes. My hubby said they were good... I guess either I am crazy or he has no taste buds. I have not tried to make them again since that day and I doubt I will ever try to fix it.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #2: July 17, 2009, 07:21:24 am »

I've had some disasters, but mostly I blame them on me rather than the recipe.  (My cooking skill is intermittent--sometimes I do wonderfully in the kitchen, and other times it's a case of "well, at least you didn't burn down the house, now let's order that pizza".)  Many times when it's the recipe, also, it's not that the concept or the flavor combinations or anything are inherently flawed, but that the directions are poorly written.  (Hubby bakes, and has one bread book that we've had to go through adding notations to recipes because they leave out things like adding the yeast to the dough.)

One that was just an epic fail all around, though, was a lemon chicken recipe that I think I got from some "easy recipes" type of magazine.  I have no idea why I thought it would be good--its major flaw was that it used lemon Jell-O powder to flavor (and presumably thicken) the lemon sauce.  Which of course tastes nothing like actual lemon, and it didn't taste good with the other sauce ingredients either.  I don't think anything could've saved that; it was just bad.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: July 17, 2009, 07:58:01 am »

What is the worse recipe you came across?  Did it sound good before you tried it?  If so, then did you figure out what went wrong?  Did you manage to fix the recipe and managed to make something good out of it?

Note that since we have been exposed to numerous god-awful recipes involving SPAM, it wouldn't be fair to count them since being gross is a given.

An Italian sausage soup recipe I was working on. I don't know what I did, but it was the most miserable soup I've ever come up with. I've never made it again because by the time I tweaked it enough to be edible, it'd be totally different. The bad thing is, it made a LOT of soup.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #4: July 17, 2009, 09:44:13 am »

I bought a cookbook that was supposed to be full of quick dishes.  After I really looked at it, almost none of the recipes sounded good and/or were ingredients I keep in the pantry.  I tried the one dish that sounded good...sort of a deviled egg recipe with tuna in it.  It was awful; the recipe called for Worcestershire sauce and I can now speak with authority that tuna + boiled egg + Worcestershire = nasty.  I gave the cookbook away.

Sperran
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #5: July 17, 2009, 09:49:56 am »

I bought a cookbook that was supposed to be full of quick dishes.  After I really looked at it, almost none of the recipes sounded good and/or were ingredients I keep in the pantry. 

I've had that problem with such things...  There seems to be a baseline assumption by the authors about what people keep in their pantry that just doesn't actually apply to our household.  Most stuff we buy as we need it, especially since the co-op offers a lot of the dry goods in bulk (so if we just need a cup of something, we can just get a cup).  (And yet our pantry is still overflowing with crap.  But it's never the crap the recipes want.  LOL)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 17, 2009, 09:58:37 am »

I've had that problem with such things...  There seems to be a baseline assumption by the authors about what people keep in their pantry that just doesn't actually apply to our household.  Most stuff we buy as we need it, especially since the co-op offers a lot of the dry goods in bulk (so if we just need a cup of something, we can just get a cup).  (And yet our pantry is still overflowing with crap.  But it's never the crap the recipes want.  LOL)

That's because all the crap in the pantry procreates!  Wink But of course, it's never anything you use, or is good, lol. (like chocolate!) There's been many times I've looked in my cupboards and went "Where the hell did that come from??"  Huh

To keep this on topic, I got a recipe for jambalaya off a website, that looked pretty good. When I actually made it though, it was terrible and I'm not sure it could have been salvaged. The good thing was, I made it at work so didn't have to deal with it in my fridge! (Why no... I would never have used the ladies as guinea pigs for recipes....*shifty eyes*)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 10:02:32 am by Dragondaughter, Reason: Added thought » Logged

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
Coyote Max
Apprentice
Last Login:March 27, 2011, 12:46:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: All those things other people are - I'm not.

Elder n00b

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 17, 2009, 10:07:36 am »

What is the worse recipe you came across? 

The worst one ever was when I was 12.  My mom found a recipe for blueberry muffins in the paper, and it sounded good so she tried them.  Something didn't seem quite right about it, but she figured it was a new recipe, she'd never made it, so she'd go with it to see how it turned out.

Unfortunately the something wrong was a misprint - instead of 2tsp of baking powder, it read 4tbsp .....

Almost 30 years later, I still flinch when I bite into a blueberry muffin Smiley

I eat my coffee straight from the can, why bother diluting it?
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 17, 2009, 11:26:50 am »

It's a cookie recipe that gets my vote.  Betty Crocker, normally a source of solid, decent food, has a recipe for Christmas cutout cookies that have to be, by far, the most awful, cardboard-flavored cookies I've ever tried.

The ingredient list looks okay.  Nothing too weird, nothing out of the ordinary, but after baking there is just no flavor.

I tried it three times, because it SHOULD be good.  I've given up.  There is now a note in the Cookie book that states in bold letters "DO NOT MAKE THESE EVER AGAIN!".

No, icing them didn't help.  Now the tasty icing was ruined by the cookies of sawdust.

ThtreLady
Journeyman
Last Login:July 20, 2011, 05:49:34 pm

Religion: Celtic Seeker

Blog entries (0)

thtrelady

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 17, 2009, 04:54:41 pm »

I'm going to start by saying that this was not a recipe in a book, but rather a thought that came to Bardicstorm one night when he was searching for something to eat.  We had rice and we had bbq sauce and he thought "Hey, I like rice and I like bbq sauce - why not?"

Worst. Stuff. Ever.  <gags>
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 17, 2009, 05:36:42 pm »

What is the worse recipe you came across?  Did it sound good before you tried it?  If so, then did you figure out what went wrong?  Did you manage to fix the recipe and managed to make something good out of it?

Lemon meringue pie with crisps. No, I have not made it, nor do I intend to. Also, these.

In terms of food I've actually eaten, my brother's extra-crispy ham-cheese-cinnamon omelette comes to mind (although the recipe exists only in his deranged mind  Tongue ). I "fixed" the idea by swapping out the ham and cheese with grated apple, which turned it into more of a custard. And no, my brother didn't like my version. I think I've told this story before ...

A strictly personal one: any herbal tea which sounds tasty until I see that the first ingredient is hibiscus, which I hate.
PurpleCrow
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 28, 2010, 12:39:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 27, 2009, 04:53:25 pm »

A tomato based meatball curry was the worst recipee I have ever used. God it was disgusting! It tasted like a curry crossed with spag bowl, wouldnt suggest it to anyone! Only way to fix that was to do seperate meals, one spag bowl, one curry  Grin

Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #12: July 27, 2009, 05:30:48 pm »

Also, these.

OMG, the Onion Sauce card, LMFAO!!!

Die, fish, die!

I want these cards so bad! What's really funny to me is that I have a modern collection of those recipe cards, complete w/a clear plastic case - my cards are from some Reader's Digest-affiliated cooking magazine, though. I wonder if someone's going to look through them in 30 years & wonder, "What were these people thinking?"

Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #13: July 27, 2009, 08:09:29 pm »

OMG, the Onion Sauce card, LMFAO!!!

Die, fish, die!

I want these cards so bad! What's really funny to me is that I have a modern collection of those recipe cards, complete w/a clear plastic case - my cards are from some Reader's Digest-affiliated cooking magazine, though. I wonder if someone's going to look through them in 30 years & wonder, "What were these people thinking?"

How awful!  This is like an old 50s cookbook I have featuring a weiner crown.

Sperran
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: July 27, 2009, 10:37:21 pm »

How awful!  This is like an old 50s cookbook I have featuring a weiner crown.

Sperran

I have a couple of cooking school text books that have nearly as bad of illustrations from the early 80s.  Frightening things gathered around food that is presented in the most artificial way, so that you think "Is that food or bad modern art?"

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)