The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 19, 2020, 05:05:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2020, 05:05:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Container Herb Gardening  (Read 2735 times)
RhiannaRaven
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 19, 2010, 01:55:20 pm
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 17, 2009, 04:16:14 pm »

I have no where to plant in the ground and was wondering how hard/easy it is to container garden?  Also is it to late to start?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 17, 2009, 07:07:47 pm »

I have no where to plant in the ground and was wondering how hard/easy it is to container garden?  Also is it to late to start?

The only herb I've had trouble container growing is rosemary. It just gets rootbound to quick. I've grown them in coffee cups on the window sill, standard pots of different sizes, and right now I have basil, thyme, lavender, tarragon and oregano fighting for space in a whiskey barrel! If you put them on a window sill inside you can start them at any point in time. Hope that helps!

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 17, 2009, 07:37:19 pm »

The only herb I've had trouble container growing is rosemary. It just gets rootbound to quick. I've grown them in coffee cups on the window sill, standard pots of different sizes, and right now I have basil, thyme, lavender, tarragon and oregano fighting for space in a whiskey barrel! If you put them on a window sill inside you can start them at any point in time. Hope that helps!

Container gardening is really easy, and there are lots of good books on the subject. I have had no trouble at all with rosemary, but that may be b/c I live in a mediterranean climate, so it just likes it here no matter what. I have one pot of mints, one pot rosemary (it's 3 ft tall, now), one pot of various flowers and thyme, and one of assorted herbs that I switch out and add to, from time to time. The important thing with container gardening, I find, is watering enough. Plants in ceramic pots need a lot of water. Also, being mindful of how windy and hot or cold your outdoor space is, is an important factor when you are picking out plants.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 17, 2009, 08:53:37 pm »

The important thing with container gardening, I find, is watering enough. Plants in ceramic pots need a lot of water. Also, being mindful of how windy and hot or cold your outdoor space is, is an important factor when you are picking out plants.

What Rose said. My entire garden is all containers, since it's a rooftop garden, and I've had no trouble growing herbs; in fact, many have overwintered in this Northeast U.S. climate, much to my surprise.

SilentEcho
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 20, 2011, 07:46:31 am

Religion: Pagan, eclectic studies for now

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 17, 2009, 09:11:50 pm »

It's easy with good potting mix, enough sun, the right amounts of water.  Many herbs can be moved indoors over the winter, although some may go through a natural dormant season-not seeming to grow much.   

I'll also recommend finding a good book on growing herbs and flowers in pots. 

It's not too late to start, you may even find some good deals on starter plants and seeds, right now.   
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 17, 2009, 10:03:06 pm »

The tough thing about container gardening is even, consistent moisture.  As plant roots grow, it becomes more difficult for the soil to take up water, so I like to soak my containers now and then toward the end of the season or during hot, dry weather (which we don't get much of here).  As far as what to grow, it depends on your growing zone.  Are you in northern or southern Missouri?  In the north, you should have a solid couple months of growing season left for things like basil, and a little longer for perennials like rosemary.  If you're looking for flowers instead of herbs, you can grow just about anything.  Nightshade family flowers love the heat of summer (petunias, nicotiana).  You can also try sunflowers.  A trip to your local nursery is probably in order.  They'll tell you what other mid-season varieties do well in your area.

Brina
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 10:47:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: July 17, 2009, 10:13:31 pm »

We have most of our herbs in pots now, since they have shown they just don't like our soil. They are doing well, but they have to be watered every day when the high summer temps hit here. 100+ temps dry out pots fast.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 17, 2009, 10:46:38 pm »

We have most of our herbs in pots now, since they have shown they just don't like our soil. They are doing well, but they have to be watered every day when the high summer temps hit here. 100+ temps dry out pots fast.

even over 70 will dry mine out, b/c the deck off my kitchen where all the herbs are is really sunny most of the day.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

« Reply #8: July 18, 2009, 07:12:15 am »

even over 70 will dry mine out, b/c the deck off my kitchen where all the herbs are is really sunny most of the day.

Watering spikes are my answer to the daily watering problem.  Essentially, they're a platic spike that has a hole in one end and the other attachs to a plastic soda bottle, which is filled with water.  They aren't pretty or the ideal solution, but easier than daily watering.

Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 20, 2009, 03:03:36 pm »

Watering spikes are my answer to the daily watering problem.  Essentially, they're a platic spike that has a hole in one end and the other attachs to a plastic soda bottle, which is filled with water.  They aren't pretty or the ideal solution, but easier than daily watering.

You can get decorative watering spikes - I think I saw them at Fred Meyer a few weeks ago.

AntlerandHerb.com
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 20, 2009, 03:17:07 pm »

You can get decorative watering spikes - I think I saw them at Fred Meyer a few weeks ago.

Yes I saw some at Target a while back.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

PurpleCrow
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 28, 2010, 12:39:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 21, 2009, 06:49:32 am »

I grew all my herbs in pots (and all my veg) although one thing that did amuse me one year was when I was attempting to move the herbs that had been in the same place for a couple of years (well established, very happy in their pots) I found that they wouldnt budge. Turned out their roots had gone straight through the bottom of the pot, through the gravel the pot was on and into the ground. No wonder they never seemed to be pot bound! I left them as they were then and according to my mum are still very happy and going well with her cooking Smiley

I'd suggest getting starter plants for containers rather than growing from seed, mainly because if your anything like me when growing things from seeds, theres always a million more plants than you wanted! My mums garden is full of lavender plants now, she was so fed up with having about 20 lavender pots (after giving loads away) she planted most of them into the ground. They are doing quite well! Anyway, starter plants will mean that you buy exactly how many you want/need, but be sure to check that the plants are healthy etc.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)