The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 22, 2021, 12:05:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2021, 12:05:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Druidry info...  (Read 11136 times)
deFafnyr
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 17, 2010, 10:19:42 pm
United States United States

Religion: Druidry

Damhán alla Líle

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: July 20, 2009, 01:11:00 am »

I only have a couple of links that are mainly the sites of druid groups (OBOD, ADF, and AODA). These are good places to start with concerning modern-day Druid groups.

http://www.aoda.org/--Ancient Order of Druids in America. This has a detailed outline of their dedicant program and curriculum; it includes lots of reading recommendations.

http://www.adf.org/core/--Ar n Draiocht Fein--Also lots of articles and links, though in order to gain full access, one needs to become a member. However, here is a grove site that is part of that wider group: http://www.othergods.org/welcome.html This is a good example of how one group practices in the ADF and includes lots of articles, rituals, and links.

http://www.druidry.org/--And of course, the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids. More restricted access here to information, but I hear their training programs are pretty good.

I wanted to thank you as well for all these links. I spent a great many years as an eclectic, left the path, and now I've come back, and this time around I have a need to seek deeper, find a more specific path.  So oddly enough I took one of those silly little tests, this one was "Which Pagan Path Do You Follow" (http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=paganreligion) and apparently my natural inclinations and beliefs are heavily druid in nature...so that's the first direction I think I need to study deeper.  Your links are a great place for me to start.

Again...thank you.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: July 20, 2009, 10:55:36 am »

Again...thank you.

No problem at all. I'm glad others have replied with their own links--while I'm not interested in joining one of these groups, their sites are generally good resources to have in my bookmarks folder.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
deFafnyr
Senior Apprentice

Damhán alla Líle

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: July 20, 2009, 10:24:44 pm »

Hi Herbalgoddess - this is pretty much where I am as well. From everything I've read so far though the OBOD is looking very promising (to me). Smiley

I'm looking at AODA, OBOD and ADF, but so far their websites are kind of saying the same thing to me right now.  Does anyone have experience with these groups that can give me more insight?  I don't think any of these have groups near me in Vancouver WA/Portland Oregon, though AODA has a grove in Ashland Oregon and ADF has a grove in Medford Oregon. 

I'm really looking for something with studies because I find something within gets expansive when I'm researching and learning something.  I don't know how to describe it, it's like dominos inside.  But I'm looking for real courses, not fluff courses if that makes any sense.

fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: July 20, 2009, 10:36:39 pm »

Well, techniqually, you don't have to be a member to go to their rituals and some other events.  And if memory serves, they do give aid to people who cannot meet the joining fees for some reason.

This is true, hardship memberships are available, though it really isn't very expensive- $25 a year for ADF itself gets you access to all the online stuff, study programs and all that good nonsense.  though local groves may have additional membership dues (for example, the grove I belong to is $50 a year.  But they also take half of that and send it in to the main organization to cover the main ADF membership dues. other groves may have different procedures.)

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
herbalgoddess13
Adept Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 08:07:55 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: herbalgoddess13

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: July 20, 2009, 11:05:09 pm »

This is true, hardship memberships are available, though it really isn't very expensive- $25 a year for ADF itself gets you access to all the online stuff, study programs and all that good nonsense.  though local groves may have additional membership dues (for example, the grove I belong to is $50 a year.  But they also take half of that and send it in to the main organization to cover the main ADF membership dues. other groves may have different procedures.)

Yes, I think the grove around me is $25 for membership to the main organization and $35 for the local group.  It isn't a lot, but I also have to figure in that the group is still almost 45 min. away so it's difficult to attend everything.  But I really do want access to more of the online reading material. 

“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ~ Neil Gaiman

My Blog
ThtreLady
Journeyman
Last Login:July 20, 2011, 05:49:34 pm

Religion: Celtic Seeker

Blog entries (0)

thtrelady

Ignore
« Reply #20: July 21, 2009, 12:19:07 pm »

I'm looking at AODA, OBOD and ADF, but so far their websites are kind of saying the same thing to me right now.  Does anyone have experience with these groups that can give me more insight?  I don't think any of these have groups near me in Vancouver WA/Portland Oregon, though AODA has a grove in Ashland Oregon and ADF has a grove in Medford Oregon. 

I'm really looking for something with studies because I find something within gets expansive when I'm researching and learning something.  I don't know how to describe it, it's like dominos inside.  But I'm looking for real courses, not fluff courses if that makes any sense.

Speaking to just what I know - both OBOD and ADF have extensive study programs. AODA may, but I've not experienced them at all. I originally wanted to study the OBOD course, but it was far too expensive for me at the time although I've heard nothing but good things about the quality. So I joined ADF and got their materials and while I have never managed to actually work through them because of my own laziness, the study program is solid and well-thought out and there are a number of ways to get help.
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: July 21, 2009, 01:41:49 pm »

I don't have any experience with AODA or OBOD.  But I really like ADF, I have been rather lazy about doing their dedicant program, but I like it because it helps you towards having a solid foundation for your beliefs.  And it makes you think about what you are doing, not just well this is how you are supposed to and leave it at that. 
Kullervo
Apprentice
Last Login:August 05, 2009, 10:28:33 am

Religion: Hellenic Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: July 21, 2009, 02:39:15 pm »

another thing you might want to try is contacting John Michael Greer, the Arch Druid in the US. He is really nice, I have heard him speak a couple of times and talked to him myself, I am sure he would be happy to talk to you. There is a really good interview Thorn Coyle did with him on her Elemental Castings podcast a month or so ago-it's free on her website or Itunes. And he has a great blog here http://thearchdruidreport.blogspot.com/

I also strongly reccomed Greer's book, The Druidry Handbook.  It's pretty fantastic.  Definitely oriented toward the revival Druid tradition (AODA and OBOD, not so much ADF), and full of a lot of really interesting revival Druid lore (most of it admittedly made up a couple of centuries ago by Iolo Morganwg, but as Greer points out quite lucidly, the fact that a spiritual tradition is new, or was innovated by someone, does not make it invalid: a spiritual tradition or practice should be judged on its utility, whether or not it works and bears fruit, rather than on its lineage).  It also has an extremely heavy environmentalist component, which to me makes a lot of sense in a Druid context.  Fair warning, though: Greer's website (The Archdruid Report) has a lot more to do with environment, culture, auatainability, and peak oil than it does the spiritual or mystical side of Druidry.  Greer also has a book on Druid ceremonial magic, but I have not read it and can't really comment.  But the Druid Handbook is, in my opinion, a must-read for the modern Druid, whether or not you wind up coming to the same conclusions as Greer does.

Also, here is a really good article by Greer on the differences between the ADF and OBOD (and AODA definitely has more in common with OBOD, although the AODA's curriculum is publicly available, while OBOD's requires paid membership to access): http://www.adf.org/about/adf-and-obod.html
Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: July 21, 2009, 03:03:30 pm »

I originally wanted to study the OBOD course, but it was far too expensive for me at the time although I've heard nothing but good things about the quality.

I would agree completely with this. The OBOD course materials are excellent and the course itself is challenging.

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings
sanctuary
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2011, 11:23:23 am

Religion: Taoist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: July 22, 2009, 02:12:08 pm »

I also strongly reccomed Greer's book, The Druidry Handbook.  It's pretty fantastic. 

I have this book and was impressed with it as well. It actually contains much of the First Degree curriculum for the AODA (which makes sense considering John Michael Greer is the Grand Archdruid for the AODA Grand Grove).

“Music in the soul can be heard by the universe.”  Lao Tzu
Maggie
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 12, 2012, 04:18:49 pm

Religion: ADF Style Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: July 24, 2009, 05:25:10 pm »

I am an ADF member and just checked the website-although there is no grove in your area, it does show 12 ADF members in the Vancouver/Portland area.  If you want, although I don't know anyone personally since I live in PA, I could try to find a contact for you.  So far, the people I have met have been very nice and helpful.  Let me know.

Maggie

"Few things are needful to make the wise man happy, but nothing satisfies the fool---and this is the reason why so many of mankind are miserable."                 
                                                       LaRochefoucauld
Maggie
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 12, 2012, 04:18:49 pm

Religion: ADF Style Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: July 24, 2009, 05:36:25 pm »

Also, I forgot to mention, the ADF Archdruid lives about 1 1/2 hours from Portland where he is working on establishing a druid monastery.  He has his own website http://www.druidkirk.org/.  I've never tried to insert a link so I hope this works. Wink

Maggie

"Few things are needful to make the wise man happy, but nothing satisfies the fool---and this is the reason why so many of mankind are miserable."                 
                                                       LaRochefoucauld
deFafnyr
Senior Apprentice

Damhán alla Líle

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: July 24, 2009, 05:49:01 pm »

I am an ADF member and just checked the website-although there is no grove in your area, it does show 12 ADF members in the Vancouver/Portland area.  If you want, although I don't know anyone personally since I live in PA, I could try to find a contact for you.  So far, the people I have met have been very nice and helpful.  Let me know.

My eldest daughter and I did a lot more research and conversation over this and comparing all the groups that we found.   We found even more information on the groups since the last post giving us a better comparison/contrast on the differences between them. 

Not only does my daughter agree with me that ADF is a perfect fit for my own philosophies and beliefs, she says "oh mom, they're so you, I wish they had a 'friends of ADF' group for me."

I sent in my membership this morning before heading out to work and am just awaiting them to process the paypal funds and get me on the roster so I can jump completely Smiley I hope I get to meet up with others in the area soon too.

sanctuary
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2011, 11:23:23 am

Religion: Taoist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: July 24, 2009, 06:32:11 pm »

I sent in my membership this morning before heading out to work and am just awaiting them to process the paypal funds and get me on the roster so I can jump completely Smiley

Congrats on your decision... Grin

“Music in the soul can be heard by the universe.”  Lao Tzu

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)