The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 20, 2019, 05:45:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2019, 05:45:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Must a circle be cast for candle magic? (I'm not Wiccan)  (Read 5613 times)
Elicia
Apprentice
Last Login:August 13, 2009, 03:35:42 pm
United States United States

Religion: non-religious

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 20, 2009, 09:07:39 pm »

I am looking into chaos magic. I've read that chaos magic is all about doing magic your own way. I want to do candle magic. I usually just burn sage to cast away negativity, dress the candle and charge the candle and burn it.

Can my spell go wrong if I do not cast a circle or invoke elements??

Am I doing anything wrong by using the spell method I described above? Remember, I am not Wiccan and infact do not worship any Gods.

Please help me out Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 20, 2009, 10:10:35 pm »

If it's not part of your path/paradigm, I don't see a problem not doing those things.

Religious witchcraft is part of my path, so I do sometimes cast circles and invoke elements. For simple spells, I generally don't, though.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2019, 05:48:46 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: July 20, 2009, 10:13:10 pm »

Unless you are doing candle magic to summon entities or the like (which would be a very strange form of candle magic), I would say casting circles and/or invoking elements is entirely optional.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 13, 2019, 12:41:51 am

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: July 20, 2009, 10:15:54 pm »

I am looking into chaos magic. I've read that chaos magic is all about doing magic your own way. I want to do candle magic. I usually just burn sage to cast away negativity, dress the candle and charge the candle and burn it.

Do you believe that doing that is necessary for making your spell work?  If you think you need it, then you're likely to need it.  If you think you don't need it, then it's not necessary.

So.  What do you believe?

On a different level, your spell can go wrong if you do not cast a circle.  Your spell can go wrong if you do cast a circle.  Your spell can go wrong if you had fish for dinner last Thursday.  Your spell can go wrong.  Just like any other action you take can go wrong.  There are no guarantees in life.

T Bone
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 15, 2009, 02:55:52 am

Religion: Theistic Satanism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 20, 2009, 10:46:43 pm »

Am I doing anything wrong by using the spell method I described above? Remember, I am not Wiccan and infact do not worship any Gods.

The others are right - if you don't believe it's necessary, don't do it.

I would just like to say that circles can be cast to contain the energy of a ritual and that they are not always for protection as it seems to me that many people think they are.

You really don't 'have to' do anything. 

As for invoking the Elements, no, that's not necessary.

"Death is delightful, Death is dawn - the waking from a weary night of fevers unto Truth and Light."  ~James Russell Lowell
V23
Journeyman
Last Login:July 23, 2009, 02:09:27 am

Religion: Chaote

MEAN UGLY OLD FART

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 21, 2009, 01:28:23 am »

Hmmmm. . . . .Ask yourself another question.  "What is the purpose of casting a circle, and what is the purpose of invoking any elements, for any reason?"

If the purpose designates the need for a circle or to invoke, then do so.  If not, then don't.

Then apply that to your original question.

I also pratice CM and in my experience there is a reason, both pratical and spiritual, for why we do anything.  I ask, "What is the purpose and intent for what I am doing?", and I let that guide how I design my actions magically.

Understand that Paradigm is the quintessence of Magick and belief is a tool for achieving effects; it is not an end in itself.
Coyote Max
Apprentice
Last Login:March 27, 2011, 12:46:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: All those things other people are - I'm not.

Elder n00b

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 21, 2009, 02:59:27 am »

If casting a circle helps you to achieve the mindset and/or focus that you require in order to do what it is you're doing, then i would say go for it.  If you feel you have the level of concentration without it, more power to you Cheesy

(personally, I see any ritual as a way to do exactly that - get into the mindset).

I eat my coffee straight from the can, why bother diluting it?

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)