The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 01, 2022, 03:58:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2022, 03:58:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: One small step....  (Read 3376 times)
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 08, 2022, 10:59:47 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: July 21, 2009, 12:09:07 am »

Apollo 11.

I wasn't yet eight; my memories are kinda spotty - some bits are clear, others hazy; still others, I don't even realize I remember until I hear a recording, read a transcript, see a picture.

I have no words to adequately describe just what this means to me, and I get all choked up when I try (yes, my fingers get all choked up when I try to type).  If you go to The Virtual Filksing and DL the song "Hope Eyrie" (it's about halfway down the page), that comes closest.

<waves arms about and hollers in the general direction of NASA> So, leap already!!

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 26, 2009, 03:22:16 pm »

Apollo 11.

I wasn't yet eight; my memories are kinda spotty - some bits are clear, others hazy; still others, I don't even realize I remember until I hear a recording, read a transcript, see a picture.

I have no words to adequately describe just what this means to me, and I get all choked up when I try (yes, my fingers get all choked up when I try to type).  If you go to The Virtual Filksing and DL the song "Hope Eyrie" (it's about halfway down the page), that comes closest.

<waves arms about and hollers in the general direction of NASA> So, leap already!!

Sunflower

Sorry, you'd be better served waving your arms in the direction of China; America's broke. Even NASA's plans to return to the Moon will not likely survive the Obama administration. The money's just not there.

Hopefully, at least the Hammer And Sickle will be hoisted somewhere beyond this world by the end of the century. So much for winning the Cold War.

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: July 26, 2009, 04:34:12 pm »

Hopefully, at least the Hammer And Sickle will be hoisted somewhere beyond this world by the end of the century. So much for winning the Cold War.

Unlikely as the Soviet Union is no more. Smiley  Russia might, but Russia has even less money for a space program than the US does. Most likely: some international group like the current International Space Station.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Aetius
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 26, 2009, 07:09:12 pm »

Unlikely as the Soviet Union is no more. Smiley  Russia might, but Russia has even less money for a space program than the US does. Most likely: some international group like the current International Space Station.

No, dude, I'm talking about China.

Aetius
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 26, 2009, 07:12:25 pm »

No, dude, I'm talking about China.

Thanks for the correction! My bad...I keep thinking that the Chinese flag has a hammer and sickle pattern like the old USSR's did.

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 26, 2009, 07:51:08 pm »

Thanks for the correction! My bad...I keep thinking that the Chinese flag has a hammer and sickle pattern like the old USSR's did.

NO, it's red with 1 big star in the corner, with four little stars to the right of it. (and yes, i did have to look it up)

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Aetius
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 26, 2009, 10:56:58 pm »

NO, it's red with 1 big star in the corner, with four little stars to the right of it. (and yes, i did have to look it up)

Yeah, I looked it up myself after Randall mentioned it.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: July 27, 2009, 05:27:32 pm »

Sorry, you'd be better served waving your arms in the direction of China; America's broke.
Actually, what I'm feeling most hopeful about right now is the private entrepreneurs.  But when it comes to the waving-arms-and-yelling part, I've been doing it at NASA for three decades now; it's a habit I'm unlikely to change - I concede it'd be more realistic to yell, "You assholes!  You fucked up the biggest and most important opportunity humanity's ever had!!", but it's kinda nice for there to be some grounds to hope.  The state of affairs for Apollo 11's 25th anniversary - now, that was discouraging and depressing.

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Aetius
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 27, 2009, 08:43:26 pm »

Actually, what I'm feeling most hopeful about right now is the private entrepreneurs.  But when it comes to the waving-arms-and-yelling part, I've been doing it at NASA for three decades now; it's a habit I'm unlikely to change - I concede it'd be more realistic to yell, "You assholes!  You fucked up the biggest and most important opportunity humanity's ever had!!", but it's kinda nice for there to be some grounds to hope.  The state of affairs for Apollo 11's 25th anniversary - now, that was discouraging and depressing.

Sunflower

NASA screwed up by understating the true costs, and exaggerating the performance capabilities of the Space Shuttle, misleading American politicians for at least a decade.

The whole space policy debacle, though, isn't really their fault. NASA is just a civilian space agency. It is bound to obey the whims of its masters in Washington. The American government insisted that the Space Station Freedom/International Space Station would be designed to maximize aerospace contractor profits and help justify the Space Shuttle...all while minimizing worthwhile science. The American government failed to choose ambitious goals in space when it had the industrial base to financially support them. Now those options are gone. It's sad, and it pains me as a space geek.

Aetius
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 27, 2009, 08:46:05 pm »

Sunflower

I really, really hope that I live to see private space travel and orbital tourism take off in a much bigger way (no pun intended).

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: July 27, 2009, 09:07:22 pm »

It's sad, and it pains me as a space geek.
Aha, I see you have good reason for being a bit of a wet blanket and harshing my (all-too-tiny bit of) squee.  Each of us (space geeks) have to deal with the pain in whatever way works (and sometimes we'll step on each other's toes with them - I was, as I'm sure you can tell, kinda peeved at you, but you may well have been peeved at me first), but we all have the pain.

I really, really hope that I live to see private space travel and orbital tourism take off in a much bigger way (no pun intended).
Let's both go squee at Richard Branson Cheesy.

Sunflower

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.