The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2021, 08:19:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2021, 08:19:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wicca God/Goddess Names  (Read 4003 times)
Sitokult
Last Login:October 23, 2009, 08:49:18 pm
United States United States

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 22, 2009, 03:36:11 am »

My boyfriend and I are beginning to practice Wicca together.  We both feel a connection to it and also to Egyptian mythology. 

We would like to use Egyptian mythology names for the God and Goddess, but he would prefer Isis and Osiris, while I would prefer Bastet and any God name, for I feel more connected to Bastet.  (I have a love for cats, and it just feels right to use her form.)

When addressing the Goddess in rituals, is it alright to use both Bastet and Isis?  He finds it harder to focus on the Goddess if he just uses Goddess.  He'd like an image to put with her.

Thank you. Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 22, 2009, 04:18:50 am »

My boyfriend and I are beginning to practice Wicca together.  We both feel a connection to it and also to Egyptian mythology. 

We would like to use Egyptian mythology names for the God and Goddess, but he would prefer Isis and Osiris, while I would prefer Bastet and any God name, for I feel more connected to Bastet.  (I have a love for cats, and it just feels right to use her form.)

When addressing the Goddess in rituals, is it alright to use both Bastet and Isis?  He finds it harder to focus on the Goddess if he just uses Goddess.  He'd like an image to put with her.

Thank you. Smiley

Well, if you are interested in Wicca, have you tried searching out a coven in your area? I'm not going to say "Rawr! Bast and Wesir belong to Kemetics!" because that's silly, but perhaps you might want to think and connect on who the Wiccan Lord and Lady ARE, rather than subsuming personalities of other Gods for them?

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 22, 2009, 07:16:42 am »

Well, if you are interested in Wicca, have you tried searching out a coven in your area? I'm not going to say "Rawr! Bast and Wesir belong to Kemetics!" because that's silly, but perhaps you might want to think and connect on who the Wiccan Lord and Lady ARE, rather than subsuming personalities of other Gods for them?

I agree with this. Since Wicca is a religion in the service of a specific god and goddess, it just doesn't seem appropriate to me to "use" the names of another god and goddess.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
Allati
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 15, 2012, 06:51:13 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox and eclectic pagan
TCN ID: Allati

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 22, 2009, 07:19:22 am »

I feel similar to the above. Perhaps leave using other Gods in place until you know the actual Wiccan deities themselves. Apart from anything else, that might help you make your decisions.

Once you know the Wiccan deities, and you have used that to pick out some prospectives, ask permission. I am always strongly aware that Wiccan practices have a lot of the male/female polarity, fertility, and even sexuality going on in the background. Some Kemetic Gods might be ok with being used in Wiccan ritual, others might be ok but perhaps not during certain rites or festivals, and others might politely decline altogether.

To me, Wicca has its own deities and if you are Wiccan, well, those are the Gods you have chosen. But the primary concern is that you treat your religion and the other pantheon with respect.

Henytenwepwawet
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 22, 2009, 07:29:28 am »

I notice that this is your first post here, so Welcome to The Cauldron.

You may not be aware that there are a lot of quite different spiritual paths that different people know as Wicca. The earliest known religions that are known as Wiccan (or often as British Traditional Wiccan) worship a specific God and Goddess whose names are not a matter of public record or knowledge. Other, more recent spiritual paths that have their roots in these forms of Wicca often allow their followers to call upon the God and the Goddess by whatever names they experience them under. In those paths I do not think that there would be any people taking issue with you and your boyfriend experiencing those beings under different names and mythologies.

You may find that some people are wary that you may pick up on only superficial aspects of the deities whose names you call upon when you call upon them from within a tradition other then their original. There is no reason that you can't do so though.

I think that you will find you get good reactions generally, and around here in particular, if you have a good understanding yourself of how those deities were understood and worshipped by the people that worshipped them historically and who do so as part of broader pagan movements today. Gee, that was a long sentence Smiley

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
herbalgoddess13
Adept Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 08:07:55 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: herbalgoddess13

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 22, 2009, 08:41:45 am »

Thank you. Smiley
Welcome, I'm rather new to my pagan path as well and I've learned a great deal on these forums.  I do agree with the other responses and would suggest that you spend some time getting to know the religion.  You can easily call on "the lord and lady" "God and Goddess" or even "Earth Mother and Father".  These general terms will help you become comfortable communicating with them.  You can easily use a name, or add a god/and/or goddess to your practice later as you learn more. 

“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ~ Neil Gaiman

My Blog
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 22, 2009, 09:47:40 am »

You may not be aware that there are a lot of quite different spiritual paths that different people know as Wicca. The earliest known religions that are known as Wiccan (or often as British Traditional Wiccan) worship a specific God and Goddess whose names are not a matter of public record or knowledge. Other, more recent spiritual paths that have their roots in these forms of Wicca often allow their followers to call upon the God and the Goddess by whatever names they experience them under. In those paths I do not think that there would be any people taking issue with you and your boyfriend experiencing those beings under different names and mythologies.

You may find that some people are wary that you may pick up on only superficial aspects of the deities whose names you call upon when you call upon them from within a tradition other then their original. There is no reason that you can't do so though.

yes, this. And welcome to TC  Smiley
I am a shakti wiccan, following a tantric path. The god and goddess I call on in those rituals are Kali and Shiva, however I also believe that all gods and goddesses are aspects of the Divine. So I also work with Isis and Osiris sometimes too, and others as well, depending on what I want to do, and how and by whom I am feeling called. I think the important point is to make sure you have a relationship established with the gods you want to serve. And understand that if you work with them, you are serving them, not using them.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2021, 07:20:16 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: July 22, 2009, 10:00:05 am »

While I'm also in the camp of people who think that if one wants to be Wiccan one should deal with the Wiccan gods, I know that a lot of people really like the structure of Wicca and patch other stuff into it.

So I have three things to say.

First of all, the only Egyptian myth set that has any remote resemblance to something that can be patched into the Wiccan wheelyear is Aset and Wesir (Isis and Osiris).  If you want your adaptation to hook into Wiccan structure, that's pretty much the only option I would consider plausible.  You don't want to be the in-pantheon equivalent of this gal: http://www.accendi.net/putf/archives/?strip=002

Secondly, for Egyptiana in a Wiccish-structured context, I recommend Ellen Cannon Reed's Circle of Isis very highly.  All of her discussion of the gods of Egypt where I have a basis for comparison there is clearly dealing with the same gods that I do, including at least one particularly difficult and often-misinterpreted power.  If you're going to do Tameran Wicca or something like it (this is the most common term for people who worship the Egyptian gods using something derived from or similar to Wiccan ritual structure) you will find this a fantastic resource.

Thirdly: I would really, really, really not recommend using Egyptian deity names as placeholders for deities you're viewing with the sort of genericness that would lead to concepts like 'addressing the Goddess using these goddesses'.  If you're going to call upon Egyptian gods by name, you need to anticipate the possibility that you will hear from the deities thus named rather than whatever The Goddess you thought you were chatting up.  Who might be ticked off at having Their sacred essence flung around as a calling card for someone else, someone who isn't even in the family, even.  If you are speaking the names of the gods of Egypt, expect to deal with the gods of Egypt, who are not the Lord and Lady of the Wica nor tidily conflatable into a sex-based dualism.

Chalfont
Apprentice
Last Login:May 24, 2010, 01:46:42 am

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 28, 2009, 10:34:58 pm »

Thank you. Smiley
Hello my dear,
Like you I was drawn to the Gods of Egypt (I dearly love Bast!) I found two books that were very helpful to me. The first, "Circle of Isis, Ancient Egyptian Magic for Modern Witches" by Ellen Cannon Reed is writen by a Wiccan priestess who works within the confines of a Wiccan format but works with the Egyptian Gods (as do I). The second book is not Wiccan but can help you connect with Egyptian Deity, "Shamanic Mystries of Egypt" by Nicki Scully and Linda Starwolf. It's a wonderful book! Hope this helps.
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 29, 2009, 01:43:17 am »

I'm not saying that it's right or accepted, but I have known Egyptian-centric Wiccans who call on Isis and Osiris for their rituals with good results.

Darkhawk laid it out pretty well - if you call a deity by name, chances are that deity is the one Who is going to show up. I don't practice Egyptian Wicca, Kemeticism or anything else, but I've had some experiences with those who do, and even though Bastet seems mild-mannered, if you insult Her, She will let you know. If you have a connection to Bastet, it might be more appropriate for you to honor Her individually and call on a different God and Goddess pair in formal Wiccan rituals.

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 29, 2009, 01:50:05 am »

and even though Bastet seems mild-mannered, if you insult Her, She will let you know.

Indeed, she will. I remember reading a story of someone who had done such, and later had a (smallish) bad of kitty litter drop on her head.  Cheesy

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2021, 07:20:16 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: July 29, 2009, 02:08:48 am »

even though Bastet seems mild-mannered, if you insult Her, She will let you know. If you have a connection to Bastet, it might be more appropriate for you to honor Her individually and call on a different God and Goddess pair in formal Wiccan rituals.

Remember, one of Bast's cosmic jobs is to rip the hearts out of evildoers and leave them in Pharaoh's shoes!

(I believe technically it's 'lay them before the throne', but I can't help but include a little lese majeste in my soup sometimes.)

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #12: July 29, 2009, 01:22:26 pm »

Thank you. Smiley

I agree with what others have said. 

I would like to add that there is a difference between the Kemetic Aset and the Hellenized Isis.  For those that worship Them, they appear to have different personalities. 

I would also mention that for the Kemetic deities, Aset and Bast are solar goddesses and Wesir, Djehuty and other male gods are lunar ones. 

This may be problematic with the Wiccan/Neo-Wiccan framework of Moon Goddess and Sun God. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
ratgirldjh
Last Login:August 02, 2009, 04:40:41 pm

Religion: Pagan, interested in all religions

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: July 29, 2009, 02:41:52 pm »

When addressing the Goddess in rituals, is it alright to use both Bastet and Isis?  He finds it harder to focus on the Goddess if he just uses Goddess.  He'd like an image to put with her.

i believe that names are not important to the Goddess.  what names (and statues, pictures etc.) do is give us (like you said) an image that is often easier to focus on.  is is fine (IMO) to use as many names as you like.  i have often done rituals where i used every name of the Goddess that i could think of.  do whatever ever makes you feel good about doing.  you could even switch off each time...

there are no real 'rules' unless of course you prefer to remain loyal to a certain path of worship - this however is your choice.

...and it harm none, do what ye may!  

blessed be
djh

if you always think what you have always thought
you will always get what you have always got
change your thoughts and you will change your life
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #14: July 29, 2009, 10:25:38 pm »

Remember, one of Bast's cosmic jobs is to rip the hearts out of evildoers and leave them in Pharaoh's shoes!

It could be worse - She could drop them on His face while He's sleeping...

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)