The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 21, 2021, 03:05:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2021, 03:05:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sacred Days of the Month  (Read 3899 times)
firefly124
Journeyman
Last Login:January 24, 2011, 05:35:40 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: firefly124

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 22, 2009, 11:36:21 am »

I very much like the practice of sacred days of the month for different Deities, such as the 7th for Apollon.  But not all Deities seem to have official ones, or at least not that I've found documented.  

For those of you who follow this sort of practice with Gods not on Hesiod's calendar, how did you decide on a particular day?  Was it something you found written somewhere?  Did you do some sort of numeric divination?  Some other form of UPG?  I ask because I'm revising some of my personal practices, and this is one I've always liked the idea of but never really done anything with, in part because I've never quite been able to work out what days would make the most sense to associate with Pan or the Muses.

(Edited for typo.)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 11:46:23 am by firefly124 » Logged

"[L]ive as though the world were what it should be, to show it what it can be." -- Angel, "Deep Down"

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Trickster
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 12, 2009, 11:49:19 pm

Religion: Hermes Owned and Operated

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 22, 2009, 03:40:05 pm »

I very much like the practice of sacred days of the month for different Deities, such as the 7th for Apollon.  But not all Deities seem to have official ones, or at least not that I've found documented.  

Heh, you know I just recently composed a personal monthly calendar for myself, so I just went through all this.  Cheesy

The Greek deities I have on there are Hermes and Dionysos. Hermes has a sacred day (its festivals he lacks), and I've kept the fourth as his day. Because I wanted to give him more than one day I stuck to either multiples of four (the sixteenth) or days that can add up to four (twenty-second).

Dionysos I put in on the thirteenth. It seems to be a modern association, because he's the thirteenth god (if you don't want to exclude Hestia that is).

I ask because I'm revising some of my personal practices, and this is one I've always liked the idea of but never really done anything with, in part because I've never quite been able to work out what days would make the most sense to associate with Pan or the Muses.

Ninth for the nine muses? I'm afraid I have no suggestions for Pan. If you really can't think of anything, I suppose you could just pick a day and try it out.

firefly124
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 22, 2009, 03:45:18 pm »

Heh, you know I just recently composed a personal monthly calendar for myself, so I just went through all this.  Cheesy

It really can get a bit crazy-making, can't it?  LOL

Dionysos I put in on the thirteenth. It seems to be a modern association, because he's the thirteenth god (if you don't want to exclude Hestia that is).

Ah, so that's where that's come from!  I did notice in Kharis that the author made reference to an association between Dionysos and the 13th, but I hadn't picked up on why.  Makes sense though.

Ninth for the nine muses?

*facepalm*  Now why didn't I think of that?  It's astoundingly obvious, now that you say it! :-D  Thanks!

I'm afraid I have no suggestions for Pan. If you really can't think of anything, I suppose you could just pick a day and try it out.

I think that may be what I end up doing, unless something finally jumps out at me.

"[L]ive as though the world were what it should be, to show it what it can be." -- Angel, "Deep Down"
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 22, 2009, 08:41:27 pm »

...I've never quite been able to work out what days would make the most sense to associate with Pan...

So far all I can find that gives some sort of specific information about the timeing of worship of Pan is this.

A sanctuary of Pan was also located upon the mountain. According to tradition, Euandros, son of Hermes, led a colony from Pallantion in Arkadia into Italy, where he built a town Pallantion on the Palatine, and introduced the cult of Pan Lýkaios and the festival of the Lykaia, which later became the major Roman festival of Lupercalia.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
firefly124
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 22, 2009, 08:43:22 pm »

So far all I can find that gives some sort of specific information about the timeing of worship of Pan is this.

Cool, thanks!

Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 22, 2009, 09:03:19 pm »

I have also been wanting to set aside one day per month (in the HMEPA calendar of ritual observance I follow) to offer a sacrifice to Pan.

Thanks for the information!

I think I'll set aside the 9th day, so that it's right after the other major deities.

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 24, 2009, 05:14:42 am »

I have a day for Dionysos on the 9th. I remember reading a reference somewhere of a gathering of his followers that always came together on the 9th day, so. *shrugs* I went with the 13th for a while, but decided to question it using some quick divination, and the 9th was preferred, apparently.

Otherwise I don't have anyone else at the moment. I am thinking of encorporating the 15th (which is usually the full moon) for Selene, but thats about it.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
firefly124
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 24, 2009, 10:25:58 am »

I have a day for Dionysos on the 9th. I remember reading a reference somewhere of a gathering of his followers that always came together on the 9th day, so. *shrugs* I went with the 13th for a while, but decided to question it using some quick divination, and the 9th was preferred, apparently.

Out of curiosity, and only if you don't mind sharing, what sort of divination did you do?

Otherwise I don't have anyone else at the moment. I am thinking of encorporating the 15th (which is usually the full moon) for Selene, but thats about it.

That does make sense.  *nods*  I'd been thinking of the 15th for Pan based on the Lykaia article, but something about that doesn't quite resonate.  The 25th keeps coming to mind, for no reason I can discern other than a vague desire to not have the month completely front-end-loaded.  Hence my question about the divination.  :-)

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 24, 2009, 11:05:23 pm »

Out of curiosity, and only if you don't mind sharing, what sort of divination did you do?

An online magic ball. LOL. I didn't really have anything around me that I could use at the moment, and I've read of people using them. So I say here, focused on my question (basically, "Should I do my Dionysos Day on the 9th?") and got: Definitely. I did it a second time for kicks and got Yes. For the 13th, I got "Maybe". Soooo thats what I went with.

I'm still trying to find the original quote (apparently in an out of print book, ugh), but its in Nilsson's Dionysiac Mysteries of the Hellenistic and Roman Age.

EDIT: Sorry, I completely forgot to answer the second part! I will see if I can find some information about Pan and 25. I know his "Pan of the Mountains" festival is sometimes on the 26th or 27th? Depends on the calendar you use, I think. But thats also a yearly festival.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 11:10:45 pm by Rin » Logged

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
firefly124
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 25, 2009, 12:33:15 am »

An online magic ball. LOL. I didn't really have anything around me that I could use at the moment, and I've read of people using them. So I say here, focused on my question (basically, "Should I do my Dionysos Day on the 9th?") and got: Definitely. I did it a second time for kicks and got Yes. For the 13th, I got "Maybe". Soooo thats what I went with.

LOL!!  I love it! 

EDIT: Sorry, I completely forgot to answer the second part! I will see if I can find some information about Pan and 25. I know his "Pan of the Mountains" festival is sometimes on the 26th or 27th? Depends on the calendar you use, I think. But thats also a yearly festival.

That's a good point about that particular festival.  I wonder if that's subliminally why I keep coming back to the 25th.  Hmm.  I shall keep digging.  Thanks!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)