The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 26, 2022, 01:33:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 26, 2022, 01:33:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Ancient Egyptian Books of the Afterlife - opinions?  (Read 3820 times)
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 26, 2009, 10:39:38 am »

Has anyone got any opinions on Erik Hornung's 'The Ancient Egyptian Books of the Afterlife'? I have his other book, the conceptions one, on order and am wondering whether to get this as well.

I'm particularly interested in three areas (ma'at/isfet, heka, and Djehuty), which don't sound particularly funerary, but then again funerary texts are sources for a lot of things so I don't want to be too hasty.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2021, 07:20:16 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: July 26, 2009, 01:39:13 pm »

Has anyone got any opinions on Erik Hornung's 'The Ancient Egyptian Books of the Afterlife'? I have his other book, the conceptions one, on order and am wondering whether to get this as well.

I'm particularly interested in three areas (ma'at/isfet, heka, and Djehuty), which don't sound particularly funerary, but then again funerary texts are sources for a lot of things so I don't want to be too hasty.

This is a very different sort of book than Conceptions.  It's basically an overview of research and knowledge about all the major books dealing with the afterlife in Egyptian thought, noting threads of research, summarizing the contents, and so on.

treekisser
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 27, 2009, 03:29:06 am »

This is a very different sort of book than Conceptions.  It's basically an overview of research and knowledge about all the major books dealing with the afterlife in Egyptian thought, noting threads of research, summarizing the contents, and so on.

Thanks, I think I'll put it off for now. I have enough trouble in this life...

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
nebpehtira
Apprentice
Last Login:February 16, 2011, 07:17:56 pm

Religion: Egyptian Polytheistic Recon (Heliopolitan)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 30, 2009, 05:51:30 am »

It's a very accessible summary of a lot of the texts, even some of the more "obscure" ones (which makes it rare amongst affordable, mass market books), and one interesting thing is that Hornung is also interested in the history of Egyptology itself, so he gives a brief introduction to  the modern histories of each text, it's re-discovery, recording and translation.

What this book isn't is a translation, or an investigation of their theology. It is a commentary and summary of the texts themselves, but it's a good way to get an overview, and I've found it useful.

Encyclopaedia Aegyptiaca - Indoctrinating the rekhyet since 2009
treekisser
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 30, 2009, 01:16:36 pm »

What this book isn't is a translation, or an investigation of their theology.

Good to know, thank you. I just finished his Idea into Image: Essays on Ancient Egyptian Thought and found it really lucid. If his other books are as well-written/translated I'm definitely a fan.

If I were to get this book though, would you recommend me reading it before or after I tackle some of the primary source translations?

Sine Silvering
Board Staff
Master Member
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:32:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: priestess, Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 30, 2009, 02:50:43 pm »

I haven't read that one, but I have his book on monotheism.  It was a good read, IIRC, though it's buried in the inaccessible Room of Advancing Entropy right now, and it's been a while.  Make sure you get a good translation; I seem to recall that Mr Hornung is not a native English speaker.

--------------
Bless├ęd Be!

When men speak ill of thee, live so as no one will believe them.
---Old Farmers Almanac, 1832
nebpehtira
Apprentice
Last Login:February 16, 2011, 07:17:56 pm

Religion: Egyptian Polytheistic Recon (Heliopolitan)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 30, 2009, 03:29:37 pm »

If I were to get this book though, would you recommend me reading it before or after I tackle some of the primary source translations?

I would say get AE Books of the Afterlife first, and the summaries should give you an idea of which texts will interest you, and give you some outline to work with, as the texts themselves can be hard to follow at first. Then, when you do get the full translation, have Hornung there to read along side, as a narrative guide to help clarify key points.

Also, just to give you a heads up, with the exception of the Book of the Dead and the Pyramid Texts, some of the other texts are hard to find and/or seriously expensive. I'd recommend trying to get them on an interlibrary loan if you can, rather than buying. If you are really stuck, drop me an Email and I can probably fix you up with some page scans of any sections you are really interested in, but please don't ask for an entire book!

Encyclopaedia Aegyptiaca - Indoctrinating the rekhyet since 2009
treekisser
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 30, 2009, 03:50:42 pm »

Thanks for the advice, and the offer! Luckily my uni has a really good classics library. I like going there sometimes and fantasising that I'm a classicist.  Grin Actually, it's a bit too good...if I fail my degree, you'll know why.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.