The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 19, 2019, 01:40:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2019, 01:40:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The effects of technology?  (Read 2280 times)
sanctuary
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2011, 11:23:23 am
United States United States

Religion: Taoist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 27, 2009, 02:08:30 pm »

As I was reading through some other posts I started wondering...How has technology had an impact on your particular faith or spiritual practice? Obviously the internet has made information vastly more accessible to people (although the information may be incorrect) but do you find yourself doing things differently because of it? For example, I keep any and all pertinent information that I can find in separate files on a memory stick...kind of like an electronic BoS. Although I tend to prefer books as opposed to Ebooks this makes things easier for me since I spend a good deal of time on the computer (it's also easier for me to keep things organized and make changes or corrections). Also, I have seen websites that have virtual meditation rooms which I'm sure could be useful for any number of people. Ebooks, online courses and groups, forums, etc...has any of it changed your faith or practice significantly? If so, has it made things easier (more access to ideas and information) or more difficult (having to wade through all the nonsense that's out there)? Just curious... Grin

(Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place...I wasn't sure where it should be).

“Music in the soul can be heard by the universe.”  Lao Tzu

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

deFafnyr
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 17, 2010, 10:19:42 pm

Religion: Druidry

Damhán alla Líle

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 27, 2009, 09:21:33 pm »

As I was reading through some other posts I started wondering...How has technology had an impact on your particular faith or spiritual practice? Obviously the internet has made information vastly more accessible to people (although the information may be incorrect) but do you find yourself doing things differently because of it? For example, I keep any and all pertinent information that I can find in separate files on a memory stick...kind of like an electronic BoS. Although I tend to prefer books as opposed to Ebooks this makes things easier for me since I spend a good deal of time on the computer (it's also easier for me to keep things organized and make changes or corrections). Also, I have seen websites that have virtual meditation rooms which I'm sure could be useful for any number of people. Ebooks, online courses and groups, forums, etc...has any of it changed your faith or practice significantly? If so, has it made things easier (more access to ideas and information) or more difficult (having to wade through all the nonsense that's out there)? Just curious... Grin

(Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place...I wasn't sure where it should be).

I have my computer version of a BoS, but ya know your idea of keeping it on a memory stick is well, fantastic I think. Last Yule I got that really nasty virus that completely destroyed my hardrive.  My ex had some of my pictures and art backed up on an external hard drive so he was able to recover some of it, though the hard drive itself was completely toast.  The virus attacked my machine right into the bios despite the professional grade anti virus program (my ex is a software developer and insisted on it.)  Anyway...keeping the BoS on a memory stick of it's own, it could be included, that stick, on the altar table, be blessed like you would a hard book or crystals. 

Shopping for equipment and books via the internet has made life a lot easier. Yay Amazon.com!  Without it can you imagine what I'd be going through to find that Crowley tarot deck that is out of print everywhere?  And networking and finding people...without the internet, it would be exponentially harder for me as a single practioner to find others.  Joining ADF and taking courses would have to be done completely with snail mail correspondence.

scottajohnson
Apprentice
Last Login:January 17, 2010, 08:49:56 pm

Religion: Witch

"Read a book!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 28, 2009, 09:25:34 am »

I keep a great deal of information electronically, but more important to me is that, without all this techology, I wouldn't have met even half the folks in the Pagan community as I have. 

deFafnyr
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 17, 2010, 10:19:42 pm

Religion: Druidry

Damhán alla Líle

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 28, 2009, 09:59:28 am »

I keep a great deal of information electronically, but more important to me is that, without all this techology, I wouldn't have met even half the folks in the Pagan community as I have. 

I'm hoping sincerely I have the same experience.  I feel pretty alone in my area and though I practiced solitary for a very long time, I'm overdue for a sense of "community" now in my life. Uh...didn't mean to hijack..back to topic...yea, information highway...that's by far the biggest thing technology has done for me.

sanctuary
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2011, 11:23:23 am

Religion: Taoist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 28, 2009, 10:50:45 am »

I have my computer version of a BoS, but ya know your idea of keeping it on a memory stick is well, fantastic I think. Last Yule I got that really nasty virus that completely destroyed my hardrive.

Anyway...keeping the BoS on a memory stick of it's own, it could be included, that stick, on the altar table, be blessed like you would a hard book or crystals. 

That's a really good point...I hadn't thought about a hard drive problem (which is kind of silly considering the problems I've had with my computer Roll Eyes ). I guess I was thinking more along the lines of portability. I found a 4GB memory stick which is only about an inch long by 1/2 inch wide...super small with a key ring attachment for $14. I guess it could also be useful for the folks who have 'less-than-understanding' family members as a way to keep the information that's important to them without taking up alot of space on the home computer.

Oh, and I love the idea of placing it on an altar table... Grin

“Music in the soul can be heard by the universe.”  Lao Tzu
LadyMysts
Last Login:July 28, 2009, 01:49:00 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 28, 2009, 01:31:36 pm »

Personally for me, I also keep a great deal of information on my computer (backed up about 50 million times because my computers keep exploding).  I keep a computerized bos but then I also have a physical version.  I take the information that is most relevant to me, and I put it by hand into that book.  The way I do so is very ritualistic and meaningful.  I recognize that my beliefs are flowing and ever growing, but am not embarrassed to go back and see where I came from, even if sometimes it seems a little silly.  I like the length of time that it takes to write by hand, the care given to it.  My computer version can be changed with a simple push of the delete button.  Yes, I know I could rip a page out and burn it and accomplish the same thing, but it seems more permanent in writing. 
I think technology has greatly impacted our community, mostly in a good way.  Finding that herb that doesn't grow in your area is suddenly simple.  Staying connected in a coven even though you have moved to the other side of the country is a beautiful thing. 

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!
T Bone
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 15, 2009, 02:55:52 am

Religion: Theistic Satanism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 28, 2009, 08:10:41 pm »

The Internet has made my spiritual life richer in many ways.  It's exposed me to like-minded individuals, for one.  Before, when I was living in the city, it wasn't too hard to find fellow Pagans - but since I've moved to the country, it's nearly impossible.  I keep in touch with Pagan communities via the Net and it helps to be able to converse with intelligent open-minded people.  I also have the opportunity to share my own beliefs and to help others new to their paths.

The Internet is a good place to find information.  I have an E-Grimoire and a physical Grimoire - I can readily access all of my information in a few clicks which is extremely helpful when I can't be bothered to flip through a huge book for fifteen minutes looking for one small entry.

I don't take part in online meditations, but I know that others do and it seems like a wonderful way to have group meetings and to share in the energy and camaraderie.

"Death is delightful, Death is dawn - the waking from a weary night of fevers unto Truth and Light."  ~James Russell Lowell
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 28, 2009, 09:28:31 pm »

How has technology had an impact on your particular faith or spiritual practice?

I don't think I'd have discovered Wicca without the internet. In 1996, back in the good ol' days, I spent many an hour curled up in my dorm room reading pagan websites. Back then, there were way less than 100 and I probably checked them all out.

Now, I like the networking aspect. Being able to talk with pagans who aren't Wiccan, and who aren't my tradition of Wicca broadens my horizons and keeps me in touch with thoughts and issues in the larger community. And I love ebooks, though I think that technology has a ways to go yet.

I keep my BoS and journals on paper. There's something visceral and permanent that I like about paper. It's my handwriting... my thoughts and sweat and tears into the pages. It's something physical I have without worrying about technology. If the lights go out, I still have my BoS. If the computer blows up, I still have my BoS.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 28, 2009, 09:49:09 pm »

As I was reading through some other posts I started wondering...How has technology had an impact on your particular faith or spiritual practice?

I think everything is better when it's got technology in it, even old-tyme religion Wink

I don't use any paper anymore - all my notes on herbology, divination, various writings I've done, resources, etc. - all on the computer. I've got DVDs, a USB stick, and an external hard drive.

It's broadened my horizons - I've got access to tons of archaeological information, archival information and modern Pagan experience to soak up. I'm able to expand my own beliefs and compare notes with the unique personal gnosis of millions of spiritual people. There are so many flavors of Paganism that I would have never known about if I'd been restricted to books, magazines and my local community. 

nebpehtira
Apprentice
Last Login:February 16, 2011, 07:17:56 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Egyptian Polytheistic Recon (Heliopolitan)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 30, 2009, 09:23:39 am »

My partner always jokes that I'm the one who thought (I didn't really, I swear by the Dog) that the changing views of the non-Royal afterlife in the Middle Kingdom was degenerate and things having "Gone Too Far"(tm).

But, I actually like (most... well, some... kinda) technology. The internet is absolutely invaluable to me, and I'd be totally lost without it. It hasn't changed by faith or my practice, but it has made research and learning MUCH easier, but not in the way it's always used. For me the internet really has come into it's own when tracking down publications. Things like Jstor for E-journals, online bibliographies and library catalogues make getting at traditional publications much easier than before, and it is there that, in terms of religion and study, I really depend on it.

It also highlighted just how big the divide can be between different groups in terms of their access to services online. So many reliable online (and so supposedly "accessible") sources of information are not easily available outside of libraries or universities. Hence my new pet project ;-)

Encyclopaedia Aegyptiaca - Indoctrinating the rekhyet since 2009

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)