The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 27, 2020, 01:44:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2020, 01:44:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The effects of technology?  (Read 2481 times)
nebpehtira
Apprentice
Last Login:February 16, 2011, 07:17:56 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Egyptian Polytheistic Recon (Heliopolitan)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 30, 2009, 09:23:39 am »

As I was reading through some other posts I started wondering...How has technology had an impact on your particular faith or spiritual practice? Obviously the internet has made information vastly more accessible to people (although the information may be incorrect) but do you find yourself doing things differently because of it? For example, I keep any and all pertinent information that I can find in separate files on a memory stick...kind of like an electronic BoS. Although I tend to prefer books as opposed to Ebooks this makes things easier for me since I spend a good deal of time on the computer (it's also easier for me to keep things organized and make changes or corrections). Also, I have seen websites that have virtual meditation rooms which I'm sure could be useful for any number of people. Ebooks, online courses and groups, forums, etc...has any of it changed your faith or practice significantly? If so, has it made things easier (more access to ideas and information) or more difficult (having to wade through all the nonsense that's out there)? Just curious... Grin

(Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place...I wasn't sure where it should be).

My partner always jokes that I'm the one who thought (I didn't really, I swear by the Dog) that the changing views of the non-Royal afterlife in the Middle Kingdom was degenerate and things having "Gone Too Far"(tm).

But, I actually like (most... well, some... kinda) technology. The internet is absolutely invaluable to me, and I'd be totally lost without it. It hasn't changed by faith or my practice, but it has made research and learning MUCH easier, but not in the way it's always used. For me the internet really has come into it's own when tracking down publications. Things like Jstor for E-journals, online bibliographies and library catalogues make getting at traditional publications much easier than before, and it is there that, in terms of religion and study, I really depend on it.

It also highlighted just how big the divide can be between different groups in terms of their access to services online. So many reliable online (and so supposedly "accessible") sources of information are not easily available outside of libraries or universities. Hence my new pet project ;-)

Encyclopaedia Aegyptiaca - Indoctrinating the rekhyet since 2009

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)