The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 05, 2020, 06:08:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 05, 2020, 06:08:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Obligation to Community  (Read 8417 times)
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 28, 2009, 10:46:19 pm »

What are our obligations to community?

Ooh. Great question.

The coven is currently on hiatus (my covenmate has had a rough few months, work is eating her life, and when you've got a 2 person coven at the moment, as we had not yet taken on students, there's really no other answer when one person needs a break.)

But in general:
- We hold rituals in private homes. I don't believe it's appropriate to ask other people for upkeep for that (though asking for replenishment of stuff that gets used up makes a lot of sense in some settings.) If we rented a space, I think it's appropriate to ask for help with that, but it's the leadership's responsibility to make sure it's feasible somehow if folks don't come through. (Which means only renting space when you've got a size or event that really warrants it.)

- I don't plan anything I'm not willing to fund myself if need be. I do believe it's important for other group members to contibute, but that can be money, time, or (best) a combination. (One of our reasons for keeping costs low is that expensive stuff generally requires storage, and I live in a very tiny house. Designing rituals that don't require Stuff (beyond normal altar tools and things that get used up during the ritual) has multiple benefits, therefore.)

- Whoever is hosting gets to decide a chunk of that split: my covenmate, for example, does not want help washing the dishes, but does really appreciate there being a break between food and whatever else we're doing so she can wash them, because having them in the sink drives her batty.  I help by getting them to the counter, then get out of her way - but I also plan that extra few minutes into what I expect to cover. 

- We generally work on a pot-luck basis for feasts, though we're still feeling this one out a bit, and will continue to do so for a while as we add students.  In my parent group, the covenstead household usually provides a large meat dish (because it usually takes time to cook that other people attending the event probably won't have), and everyone else brings other food and drink. That works pretty well. (Me, on the other hand, I'm not highly skilled in major meat dishes since I rarely make them for myself. Also, tiny kitchen. Hence the feeling things out.) 

- As a group leader, I'm obligated to .. well, lead the group. Again, see hiatus, but in general that involves planning rituals (we're going with planning-lite right now, as my covenmate and I have been working together for .. erm. 8 years now, and we can do it fast and without explicit scripting.) It will also, if we find people who are a potential fit for a small group with a specific focus, involve teaching students.

- I also feel a certain level of commitment to trying to help people who want more information. I'll go quite a long way for people who do their best to be clear about what they want, etc. but these days I have somewhat less patience for the people who do the "Teach me all about Wicca" without any other help from them. (Not that I'm nasty to them or anything. Just that I've got 8 other things I'd rather be doing, and I'll probably go do them instead of having that conversation one more time. What I really ought to do is work up a blurb about "It's a really big subject: here's my reading list suggestions, if you've got specific questions, I'm glad to try and help." and copy/paste as needed.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)