The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 21, 2020, 09:17:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 09:17:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Finding my Path  (Read 3858 times)
SilverWillow
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 27, 2010, 04:00:17 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Mix at the moment! Spiritualist, but always had an interest in Paganism, particularly Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 29, 2009, 07:27:55 pm »

Hello everyone Smiley

Since I was about 12 years old I have felt drawn to Wicca.  I didn't know what Wicca was at the time, but I knew I was drawn to nature.  There's something very special about watching the sun rise or sitting out under the moon on a clear night.  I started to research Wicca aged about 15 but veered of the path for various personal reasons. 

I'm 21 years old now and have started reading about it again.  I want to share with you all how excited I am!  It feels so right!  I've been reading and talking to people and i've discovered that everything I believe in and feel passionate about all falls under the Wiccan umbrella, and I feel so at peace and get a sense of fullfillment just from doing my research.  I really feel like I have found my path, and this time I am able to start to walk it.  I just need some help to light my way.

I have to wait until next payday to increase my Wiccan library but I have seen a book on the internet called 'The Real Witches Handbook: A complete intro'  By Kate West.  It looks like it's really informative.  Has anybody read this book?  Anybody know of any other particularly good books which are easy for a beginner to grasp?

For now i'm just reading and lurking around on here, satisfied that i've found the path for me.  I'm a bit stuck on what would be my next step?  Is there anyone out there in the same boat as me?

SilverWillow

Xx

What will be, Will be.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Hotaru Ryu
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 16, 2009, 02:17:34 am
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

A poison pen is the best revenge.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 29, 2009, 07:36:51 pm »

Hello everyone Smiley

Since I was about 12 years old I have felt drawn to Wicca.  I didn't know what Wicca was at the time, but I knew I was drawn to nature.  There's something very special about watching the sun rise or sitting out under the moon on a clear night.  I started to research Wicca aged about 15 but veered of the path for various personal reasons. 

I'm 21 years old now and have started reading about it again.  I want to share with you all how excited I am!  It feels so right!  I've been reading and talking to people and i've discovered that everything I believe in and feel passionate about all falls under the Wiccan umbrella, and I feel so at peace and get a sense of fullfillment just from doing my research.  I really feel like I have found my path, and this time I am able to start to walk it.  I just need some help to light my way.

I have to wait until next payday to increase my Wiccan library but I have seen a book on the internet called 'The Real Witches Handbook: A complete intro'  By Kate West.  It looks like it's really informative.  Has anybody read this book?  Anybody know of any other particularly good books which are easy for a beginner to grasp?

For now i'm just reading and lurking around on here, satisfied that i've found the path for me.  I'm a bit stuck on what would be my next step?  Is there anyone out there in the same boat as me?

SilverWillow

Xx

I think we've bumped into each other on here before! :] Im about a year younger than you, and in the EXACT same boat!  Im just finally reading up on Paganism and finding out what fits me best.  One of the things I learned whilist worrying about which path to take, another Pagan (I think she was Hellenic) said, "The easiest way to start is to ask yourself what you believe in.  Not who, but what."  I think what she meant is things like, reincarnation, and just generally the universe and how things work.  I think that would be a good place to start!

As for that book by Kate West, no I havent read it, but I have seen it in the bookstore.  Currently I am reading Scott Cunningham's Wicca: for the solitary practitioner.  I dont think I can call myself Wiccan...I think for a while now I have been leaning towards Eclectic Pagan, but I am also searching this site for Heathen, Hellenic, and Druid links. :]

Oh, I hope my post helped a bit.  Good luck on your path! Feel free to PM me if you ever just wanna chat. :]
SilverWillow
Senior Apprentice

Religion: Mix at the moment! Spiritualist, but always had an interest in Paganism, particularly Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 29, 2009, 07:53:40 pm »

I think we've bumped into each other on here before! :] Im about a year younger than you, and in the EXACT same boat!  Im just finally reading up on Paganism and finding out what fits me best.  One of the things I learned whilist worrying about which path to take, another Pagan (I think she was Hellenic) said, "The easiest way to start is to ask yourself what you believe in.  Not who, but what."  I think what she meant is things like, reincarnation, and just generally the universe and how things work.  I think that would be a good place to start!

As for that book by Kate West, no I havent read it, but I have seen it in the bookstore.  Currently I am reading Scott Cunningham's Wicca: for the solitary practitioner.  I dont think I can call myself Wiccan...I think for a while now I have been leaning towards Eclectic Pagan, but I am also searching this site for Heathen, Hellenic, and Druid links. :]

Oh, I hope my post helped a bit.  Good luck on your path! Feel free to PM me if you ever just wanna chat. :]

Hi! Thanks for your reply. It's good to know someone who is in the same position as me Smiley.  I know what I believe in, I feel a bit overwhelmed at the moment because there's so much to get my head round but i'm sure in time it will all slot into place.

I believe that the Divine is the energy within everything, and therefore we are surrounded by the Divine and have immediate access to it.  I believe that everything is interconnected and that the smallest thing can affect something else.  Because everything is interconnected I strongly believe what goes around comes around, karma if you will.  I believe that we are on this Earth to learn and grow, and each have specific lessons/tasks to accomplish in our lifetimes.  When we move onto the next plane of existance I believe we get to review our lives and identify new learning needs, and have the opportunity to reincarnate in order to accomplish these.
I believe in magic because I believe that the energy within our minds isn't seperate from the energy in the physical world, it's interconnected.  So when you visualise an event, you form energy patterns.  These can affect the conditions of the physical world when directed towards a desired outcome - magic!

I think that nature is magical and should always be respected and celebrated.

Same goes for you - feel free to PM me!  Good luck on your path too, though I get the feeling we'll be helping eachother out alot more Smiley

SilverWillow

Xx

What will be, Will be.
SpaceyKadette
Last Login:August 01, 2009, 11:21:22 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 01, 2009, 11:00:05 pm »

Hello everyone Smiley

SilverWillow

Xx

Congratulations on establishing what you believe! I remember when I discovered that my beliefs had a "name." It was a beautiful feeling for me. I am recently returning to my walk, as I have set it aside. Not my beliefs, but my practices. I wish you every happiness in your new journey.

As far as the book you are looking at, I have not read it. I do however have the Wicca: A Guide For The Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham. I use it often and have found it to be vastly informational. Another book that I use just as often is Wicca Craft by Gerina Dunwich. These two books have taught me much and I fall back on them for nearly any situation that arises.

SilverWillow
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 02, 2009, 08:29:40 am »

Congratulations on establishing what you believe! I remember when I discovered that my beliefs had a "name." It was a beautiful feeling for me. I am recently returning to my walk, as I have set it aside. Not my beliefs, but my practices. I wish you every happiness in your new journey.

As far as the book you are looking at, I have not read it. I do however have the Wicca: A Guide For The Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham. I use it often and have found it to be vastly informational. Another book that I use just as often is Wicca Craft by Gerina Dunwich. These two books have taught me much and I fall back on them for nearly any situation that arises.

Thank you for the recommendations, I will have a look at those books definatley.  I know what you mean about the feeling you get when you discover your beliefs have a name and that other people believe the same thing - it really opens up the path to you and you suddenly discover new things, new places, amazing new people and a whole new sense of spiritual fullfilment!

Xx

What will be, Will be.
vgnk
Last Login:August 13, 2009, 08:20:32 am

Religion: Solitary wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 05, 2009, 01:57:22 pm »

I really like Scott Cunningham's books "Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner" and "Living Wicca: A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner" - I just got them at the library and they seem to be really informative.
SilverWillow
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 05, 2009, 02:42:08 pm »

I really like Scott Cunningham's books "Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner" and "Living Wicca: A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner" - I just got them at the library and they seem to be really informative.

I have just got Scott Cunningham's "Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner" from the library too, I haven't started reading yet though.  I've heard lots of positive things about this book.

I have just finished reading the Kate West book "The Real Witches Handbook: A Complete Intro."  I found it very helpful, it's aimed at people who are new to The Craft and she explains things in a way which are easy to understand.

SW

Xx

What will be, Will be.
Hotaru Ryu
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 16, 2009, 02:17:34 am

A poison pen is the best revenge.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 05, 2009, 02:57:07 pm »

I have just got Scott Cunningham's "Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner" from the library too, I haven't started reading yet though.  I've heard lots of positive things about this book.

I have just finished reading the Kate West book "The Real Witches Handbook: A Complete Intro."  I found it very helpful, it's aimed at people who are new to The Craft and she explains things in a way which are easy to understand.

SW

Xx

I have heard of Kate West before, but I do not think I own her book...I see so many books aimed at new people in Paganism that sometimes I get this...wary feeling.  For instance, I encountered an author on facebook (I wont give a name, somehow it feels like I would be bashing her) who was a Celtic Witch and wrote several books.  I looked at her postings on her groups on facebook and found that some if her information was either misinformed OR came straight from another source on the internet! Since then I got wary of some books (example: also think of Silver Ravenwolf's books) and started to get to know people who live as Heathens or Hellenic practitioners.  Which is why I joined the couldron. :]

So I think this place is actually probably better than some books you find in the store.  A lot of authors, like Scott Cunningham, are really good...but I would always come here right after to confirm! :] This place is great.
Chalfont
Apprentice
Last Login:May 24, 2010, 01:46:42 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 05, 2009, 11:06:04 pm »

Hi SilverWillow and blessings to you,

I'v not read the book you mentioned but I'm always cautious of books that say things like "real" or "complete" or "the only book you'll ever need" etc. ("Buckland's Complete Book Of Witchcraft" being the exception). My first book was Raymond Buckland's "Wicca For One". Its very good, full of information and easy to understand. However, I've yet to find just one book that can answer all your questions.

Good luck to you!
Hello everyone Smiley

SilverWillow

Xx
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 07, 2009, 10:11:36 pm »

I don't have that Kate West book, but I have looked through it and it looks good to me. I have her "Real Witches' Year". Scott Cunningham's two beginner Wicca books "Wicca: A Guide..." and "Living Wicca" are great eclectic beginner books. "A Witch's Bible" by the Farrars is a good insight into what's published on older forms of Wicca.

I also like Starhawk's "Spiral Dance" as a beginner book. I don't see any of our other regular experienced Wiccans in this thread yet, but there are several of us around who have been Wiccan of some flavor for at least a decade.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Lorien Seeker
Last Login:August 15, 2009, 11:36:51 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 11, 2009, 09:55:46 pm »

Hello everyone Smiley

SilverWillow

Xx

Congratulations and welcome! I am also in the same boat--I really enjoyed Wicca for the Solitary Practioner, and for a comprehensive history of the pagan faiths, in particular, Wicca, I got a lot out of Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler.

LS

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us -- Gandalf

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)