The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 11, 2019, 06:12:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 06:12:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer Beads  (Read 21542 times)
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 03, 2007, 12:25:41 pm »

I'm not sure this is the right section...

There's been a good amount of talk about making or using prayer beads (or at least I'm noticing it a lot Wink), so I was wondering: do you use prayer beads? Do you want to? Did you make your own? If so, what arrangement did you use and why? Do you have a set group of prayers you use with the beads, or are they more of a prayer focus-item? (Does that even make sense?)

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 03, 2007, 12:39:56 pm »

There's been a good amount of talk about making or using prayer beads (or at least I'm noticing it a lot Wink), so I was wondering: do you use prayer beads? Do you want to? Did you make your own? If so, what arrangement did you use and why? Do you have a set group of prayers you use with the beads, or are they more of a prayer focus-item? (Does that even make sense?)

I have a set that I've made. They're made from moss agate, petresite (eagle's eye), a silver moon bead set with a moonstone and a tiny eagle charm. I created them with thoughts of blending Celtic and Roman elements.

I don't use a specific set of prayers with the beads, I just hold them, run my hands over them, when I pray. Smiley

Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 03, 2007, 12:45:32 pm »

I have a set that I've made. They're made from moss agate, petresite (eagle's eye), a silver moon bead set with a moonstone and a tiny eagle charm. I created them with thoughts of blending Celtic and Roman elements.

I don't use a specific set of prayers with the beads, I just hold them, run my hands over them, when I pray. Smiley

Are the beads laid out in a certain pattern or anything? (Like with the Rosary, I believe the beads are grouped in a special way.) Do the moss agate and petresite have special significance?

Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 03, 2007, 01:42:13 pm »

Moss agate and petresite I just happen to like. I have, if I remember correctly, 99 beads (not including the silver moon bead and silver beads surrounding it). 96 of them are moss agate. There are three petresite beads spaced at regular intervals.

I happen to like the number 9, and the number 3, so 99 beads seemed ideal. Smiley Besides, I just happened to have that many beads. :p

Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 03, 2007, 01:45:26 pm »

Moss agate and petresite I just happen to like. I have, if I remember correctly, 99 beads (not including the silver moon bead and silver beads surrounding it). 96 of them are moss agate. There are three petresite beads spaced at regular intervals.

I happen to like the number 9, and the number 3, so 99 beads seemed ideal. Smiley Besides, I just happened to have that many beads. :p

Sounds beautiful! I'd love to see a picture sometime. Grin

Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 03, 2007, 01:52:02 pm »

Sounds beautiful! I'd love to see a picture sometime. Grin

Sure! I think I have a few on my computer, but they aren't very good. I'll see what I can do about getting a decent pic for you sometime in the near future. Smiley

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: March 03, 2007, 06:32:18 pm »

do you use prayer beads? Do you want to? Did you make your own? If so, what arrangement did you use and why? Do you have a set group of prayers you use with the beads, or are they more of a prayer focus-item? (Does that even make sense?)

I've been working on a set of prayer beads for several months.  Originally, it was based on the beads in "A Circle of Stones" but has evolved quite a bit to now be focused on Brighid and the qualities and ideals she represents to me, along with the idea of Land-Sea-Sky.  I'm still doing research and thinking about the "theology" I'm trying to incorporate in this project.  I spent a lot of time choosing the beads, and I'm not sure I'm finished with that phase yet.  I expect them to be more of a tactile focus point than to have a set of specific prayers.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 04, 2007, 05:05:06 am »

do you use prayer beads? Do you want to? Did you make your own? If so, what arrangement did you use and why?

I used to use a set of beads, which I kept forgetting -- but my standard prayer was 5x5 lines so it wasn't long before I started counting on my fingers.  Wink My path has since changed so I don't use that prayer anymore. I usually go for short, easily memorized prayers anyway, so I don't really have much need for beads.
Sparrow
Journeyman
Last Login:October 26, 2014, 09:01:14 am
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 04, 2007, 10:41:46 am »

Prayer beads are a new thing for me. I made the first one for my daughter afew months ago, and the one for myself I made last month. I made it myself from blue and dark purple quartz beads. There are 50 smaller blue beads separated into groups of ten by a slightly larger purple bead. Then the dangle bit has another 6 beads and a amethyst crystal at the end. So I guess except for the dangly strand it is just like a rosary.

I'm not sure why I liked the rosary set up. I looked at a number of designs from different faiths and how those faiths use them. At the time the bead groupings of the rosary were appealing to me.

As I said prayer( in an organised, coherent sense) is relatively new for me. At the moment I just hold them while I am praying, but I would like to have a system so that I could focus my thoughts a little bit better. Right now my mind races and I jump all over the place.

The idea is to have the beads linked in some kind of meaningful order so that each bead or set of beads represents a prayer or group of prayers so that my head won't be so scattered.

I've read a prayers and poetry dedicated to Brighid recently that I would like to memorize and recite when I use the beads. I would like the larger beads to represent a certain deity or prayer, and leave the smaller beads for random thoughts.

I haven't put any of this into practice yet so I could't say if it is usful or not. Those are just my ideas at the moment.  Smiley I'm hoping that things will fall into place. I really like the idea of prayer and being thankful in general.

Sparrow
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: March 04, 2007, 12:07:41 pm »

do you use prayer beads? Do you want to? Did you make your own? If so, what arrangement did you use and why? Do you have a set group of prayers you use with the beads, or are they more of a prayer focus-item? (Does that even make sense?)

I was just wondering if people who have made prayer beads could post pictures of them.

I think I'm doing it a little differently.  I have largish beads that each represent a concept and are all different, set apart by smaller spacer beads, rather than groups of similar beads.

I'd love to see how others are doing it so I can steal ideas...  Wink

And when/if I finish mine, I'll be happy to post a pic.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Sparrow
Journeyman
Last Login:October 26, 2014, 09:01:14 am
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 04, 2007, 01:56:01 pm »

I was just wondering if people who have made prayer beads could post pictures of them.

I think I'm doing it a little differently.  I have largish beads that each represent a concept and are all different, set apart by smaller spacer beads, rather than groups of similar beads.

I'd love to see how others are doing it so I can steal ideas...  Wink

And when/if I finish mine, I'll be happy to post a pic.

The style of prayer beads that you descibe sounds very similar to the version of Buddist prayer beads I have seen. You could try googlling "buddist prayer beads". I actually really llike that style. I was thinking of making that version of that myself before I settled on the rosary style. Since they aren't in any patern and you don't need a large amount of beads, you can afford to spend a bit more money on a handful of really beautiful ones!

I'll try and get a picture of mine up soon. they aren't flashy.

Sparrow
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 01:59:14 pm by Sparrow, Reason: spelling » Logged
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 04, 2007, 11:57:34 pm »

I got busy today and haven't had a chance to read everyone's responses, but I promise I will read & respond soon! Embarrassed

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 05, 2007, 03:49:01 pm »

I have three sets of prayer beads, sll done with pony beads or shaped beads.  And a wooden rosary that I got in Assissi.  The shaped beads is actually a ritual set to follow when doing a semistandard open info Wiccan ritual, grounding, circle casting, chant for circlecasting, elements, calling in GOddess and God, working, cakes and ale, then reversing and opening the circle, ground and release.  Theres a 3 group 13 and 4 set (big bead, 4 clear, 13 white, 4 clear, 13 red, 4 clear, 13 black, 4 clear), a oblation (that goes with a specific prayer I got from a rosary website, 4 groups of nine), then a 9 and 3 set.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 05, 2007, 05:37:51 pm »

Here you go:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/prayerbeadsdetail.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/prayerbeads3.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/prayerbeads2.jpg

Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 05, 2007, 05:39:31 pm »

Wow, that's really pretty!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)