The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 16, 2021, 07:57:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2021, 07:57:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: An unhealthy mixing of church and state?  (Read 11725 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: May 03, 2007, 02:23:22 pm »

Sen. McCaskill not welcome at Catholic school commencement

http://tinyurl.com/39bzt6

Edited to add: And yes. I do know this was a private school that disinvited Sen. McCaskill. I'm thinking more here about how the Cathoic church is possibly influencing the electoral process more than anything.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 02:45:27 pm by LyricFox, Reason: To add comment » Logged

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 03, 2007, 05:49:13 pm »

Edited to add: And yes. I do know this was a private school that disinvited Sen. McCaskill. I'm thinking more here about how the Cathoic church is possibly influencing the electoral process more than anything.

Not sure that it isn't the correct decision.  The Church, as an organization has taken a stance. The rules of the organization are that the top clergy officially make all the decisions. If you don't like the theology of the religion, then either find a way to change the theology or change religions.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: May 03, 2007, 05:53:25 pm »

Not sure that it isn't the correct decision.  The Church, as an organization has taken a stance. The rules of the organization are that the top clergy officially make all the decisions. If you don't like the theology of the religion, then either find a way to change the theology or change religions.

(You and I are probably going to completely disagree on this.)

My stance on Burke's position is that the Catholic church is certainly within its rights to take the position they choose to take. No argument there. The problem I have is when they try to affect elections. Now, that's definitely not what's happening here, but Burke has got a serious history of politicizing his religious views. For that, I'm certainly happy to accomdate him provided he pays taxes like everyone else. It's a pay to play thing with me.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: May 03, 2007, 05:59:24 pm »

Now, that's definitely not what's happening here, but Burke has got a serious history of politicizing his religious views. For that, I'm certainly happy to accomdate him provided he pays taxes like everyone else. It's a pay to play thing with me.

I agree, that's really not what is happening here, but Burke does have a track record of trying to use this religious authority to affect elections and worse, to influence elected Caltholic officials to vote the Catholic church position on select issues even if that is not what a majority of the people in their district would have them do.  To me, Burke is screaming "Tax those churches under my authority as I am using them to influence politics!"

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: May 03, 2007, 06:20:11 pm »

I agree, that's really not what is happening here, but Burke does have a track record of trying to use this religious authority to affect elections and worse, to influence elected Caltholic officials to vote the Catholic church position on select issues even if that is not what a majority of the people in their district would have them do.  To me, Burke is screaming "Tax those churches under my authority as I am using them to influence politics!"

I think it's the personal bit that bothers me. Pretty obviously the church has taken certain positions, as it should, but there's no consistency within the US hierarchy as to how to approach parishioners who take opposing views or simply advocate that the constituency isn't just one religion.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: May 03, 2007, 06:23:57 pm »

I think it's the personal bit that bothers me. Pretty obviously the church has taken certain positions, as it should, but there's no consistency within the US hierarchy as to how to approach parishioners who take opposing views or simply advocate that the constituency isn't just one religion.

And Burke is very selective in which positions he wants to punish. I don't see him going after politicians who don't support caring for the poor and the sick or the like.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
sashapablo
Board Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:January 19, 2012, 05:37:09 pm

Religion: Hellenic polytheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: May 03, 2007, 11:01:31 pm »

Burke is an ass. He makes me glad I'm not a Catholic so I don't have to listen to him.

He's been getting a lot of press time this week, what with the McCaskill thing and resigning from the board of Cardinal Glennon children's hospital because they wouldn't disinvite Sheryl Crow to their benefit. What a way to make a statement--I can't tolerate the presence of someone who thinks differently from me long enough to come together to raise money for sick children...

Sigh.

Sasha
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: May 03, 2007, 11:06:56 pm »

He's been getting a lot of press time this week, what with the McCaskill thing and resigning from the board of Cardinal Glennon children's hospital because they wouldn't disinvite Sheryl Crow to their benefit. What a way to make a statement--I can't tolerate the presence of someone who thinks differently from me long enough to come together to raise money for sick children...

I suspect Jesus would have had no problem attending for a good cause like that. Of course, he hung out with prostitutes and tax collectors and had someone from Samaria as the hero of a parable.

Randall
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: May 03, 2007, 11:12:29 pm »

Burke is an ass. He makes me glad I'm not a Catholic so I don't have to listen to him.

Sigh.

Sasha

I saw he pitched a fit and resigned. All I can say is I'm very glad the hospital stuck to its guns on that benefit.

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: May 04, 2007, 04:39:42 am »

What was his beef with Sheryl Crow?  I think I missed that particular story.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 04, 2007, 06:24:21 am »

What was his beef with Sheryl Crow?  I think I missed that particular story.

She supports stem cell research.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Black Witch
Apprentice
Last Login:January 11, 2009, 04:12:15 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 08, 2009, 12:24:58 pm »

-I think that to often " The Church, as an organization " is let off the hook when high ranking priest take inflammatory and/or political positions. These same high ranking priest are in fact speaking for the church, as I under stand " The Church, as an organization ". It is the duty of the church to correct their own spokespersons. Or take the heat.  Roll Eyes
Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 08, 2009, 09:09:39 pm »

I'm not opposed to the Catholic Church doing everything in its power to alienate and enrage pro-choice Catholics. That's the birth religion of a respectable fraction of today's Pagan community.

The diverse religions of Pagandom don't have to work very hard at making converts...the Christian Right does all the hard work for us.

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
Koimichra
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 05:22:53 pm

Religion: Catholic

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: January 09, 2009, 09:07:33 am »

You know, the level of anti-Catholic bigotry that's been present on this forum of late is starting to make me feel extremely uncomfortable.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: January 09, 2009, 09:25:51 am »

You know, the level of anti-Catholic bigotry that's been present on this forum of late is starting to make me feel extremely uncomfortable.

I think some of that might be my fault. For some reason, the news stories I'm seeing/posting seem geared towards that. Usually it's fundie Protestantism, but lately it's been the Catholic Church taking the hits.

I suspect there's going to be a post from either Randall or me about some of what we're seeing, because in the last week or so, it's gotten pretty bad.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)