The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 27, 2021, 04:14:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2021, 04:14:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about Deities, Rituals, and Adherence (Wiccan)  (Read 3919 times)
Sine Silvering
Board Staff
Master Member
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:32:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: priestess, Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 05, 2009, 11:42:19 pm »

I don't quite understand how the God and Goddess concept works. I get that they are considered in a yin and yang way and how one can have a personal relationship with them, but the book didn't explain their relationship with humans in general nor what their power exactly entails

First off, I really can't address the generalized forms of Wicca that are rampant in the pagan community.  I've never participated in that, so I really don't understand it very well.  I am an initiated Gardnerian priestess, and the explanations I try to give are wholly based in that body of knowledge. 

The Lady and the Lord are lovers, not just opposing or complementary forces. They are Beings, with identity and personality.  They are responsible for the creation, through the act of love, of the physical universe we inhabit, and thus, of all that lives within it. Thus, they are correctly also styled Mother and Father.

A personal relationship with these Parents is as easy --and as complicated and difficult!-- as a relationship with one's own immediate parents. 

The Lady and Lord of British Traditional Wicca are not a divided form of the Ultimate Unity, That Which I usually refer to as The Ineffable One, or TIO.  I suspect that Reality may go on ad infinitum.  If we are Gods to dogs, for example, and we have deities to which we look up, Who knows if our Gods have Gods of Their Own?  and do Those Ones worship Others?  Who knows how far up that goes?  Probably only TIO.

When I think of a deity belonging to a monotheistic religion (for all intents and purposes, I am grouping Wicca in with that, despite it being a duotheistic (spelling?) religion when one only considers the God and Goddess, since two deities is a far cry from the many deities polytheistic religions and old cultures have), I think of an all powerful, all knowing being who can change the very fabric of reality with a single thought. Is this the same with the God and Goddess of Wicca, or are their powers more limited?

It's often hard to tell, and They don't tell us everything.  BTW clergy are sworn into holy orders, in direct service to Them.  They tell us what to do.  Like other deities that are primarily benificent, they don't ask us for more than we can accomplish... but that's not to say that it is always easy...!

Our Lady and Our Lord are not omnipotent; I don't have my texts handy just now, but Gerald Gardner called them little gods, tribal gods, not universal at all.  It's entirely possible that the reality They Create when They make love is just the reality in which exist Their people, Their tribe... those of us who are sworn to Their Service.  Don't ask me how that works; I can kind of ::feel:: it but I can't explain it.  I'm sorry; I'm usually good with words, but some things simply cannot be expressed in words.

Are they known to get involved in human affairs often, or more or less just provide spiritual strength when asked? If they are all knowing, how does that exactly work with Free Will? (Christianity never exactly explained that, giving it one of the many strikes that eventually drove me away. After all, if you know all, then you also know the future, which means all actions are predetermined, in which case, why would a Hell even exist if we can't control what we do?) How do they view evil? If they are all good and have set views on what is evil and what is good, then why would they allow evil?

We all have free will; our Gods, however, are perfectly capable of setting up circumstances to test our honor and sense of truth and justice.  They probably do it; I doubt we suspect Them often:  after all, They are Gods.  They can outthink us.  That being said, the same things may happen to Them, since they aren't omnipotent or omniscient or omnianything (the Christian concept of the omniscient and omnipotent Deity is really incomprehensible to me).  Our Gods aren't perfect. 

As for defining good and evil, that's really hard to do, and I'm not going to try to do it hear.  I believe that the honest person, with faith in Deity's aid, can search one's own soul and seek aid in prayer, to find the evil and work against it.  Close relationships with Deity make this a little easier.

As for rituals, does one have to follow them to the letter, or is variance (and I mean more drastic variance, not, "Oh, that is allowed to be two inches shorter/oh, you can do that alone/in a group," style variance) allowed? If variance is allowed, how much is allowed?  (E.G. is a circle needed for ones where, when talking about the ritual letter for letter, it says to prepare one? things like that) Also, how does one exactly FIND spells? 

In general, witchcraft is not as nitpickingly precise as High Ceremonial Magic can be; spellwork can be done on the spur of the moment, ritual can be creative.  But there is such a thing as magical momentum; the older and more often used a rite, the more power it has.  Within many magical lodges and orders, the same rites of worship and workings are used over and over at the ritually determined times.  Jenett explained part of the reason:  the more familiar all the participants are with the rite, the easier it is to do the consciousness shift.

If one can also answer these questions for other Pagan religions (naturally changing the questions to suit the religion more), it would also be appreciated
  Sorry; see the disclaimer at the top. 

Thank you to anybody who answers my questions

You're welcome.  Smiley

--------------
Bless├ęd Be!

When men speak ill of thee, live so as no one will believe them.
---Old Farmers Almanac, 1832

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.