The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 16, 2021, 09:42:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 16, 2021, 09:42:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Naming things  (Read 10105 times)
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 06, 2009, 08:22:04 pm »

I confess: I'm a habitual namer.

I have a strong tendency to name things that are important to me. The latest: I just got a new bike (the first one I've bought in 30 years, since I was 16 years old, which is frightening considering how much biking I do--up till now, all on hand-me-down bikes). Within a half hour, I'd named it. My garden? Named. The little green man relief in my garden? Named. Even my prized watches have names of sorts. When I first acknowledged my paganism, I labored over what would be the appropriate pagan name to take on.

And for each one, the name has to be just right.

Does anyone else share this affliction?

Obviously, this is a human tendency everyone shares, to greater or lesser extents. But what does it say about us as humans? And do you think pagans feel any greater need than others to name things? Do you think there's any sort of spiritual impulse involved?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: August 06, 2009, 10:05:51 pm »

No, but I had a friend who named EVERYTHING (or so it seemed).

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #2: August 06, 2009, 11:02:13 pm »

I name cars and bikes, but that's about as far as it goes.  To me, it's kind of like naming a horse - you need to have something to call it while begging it to go just that one more mile to the station, for a car, or to come to a stop before the hill ends in that cross street at the bottom, without throwing you over you over the front in the process, for a bike.  (both familiar beggings with a broken gas gauge, on the one hand, and living in a city as hilly as mine, on the other.)

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #3: August 07, 2009, 07:00:53 am »

My car's got a name.
And my first pendulum wanted a name - which I thought something beween weird and amusing.
Other things I haven't named so far, but I would if I felt the urge to do it.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 07, 2009, 07:02:51 am »

They only thing I name is my cars, don't know why, but they 'feel' like they need a name.  Though, lol, I'm sure my van doesn't appericate it's name. Vanpire.  Okay, It came from spending 2 wks fixing one thing after another. About 6 things went wrong in those 2 wks.  Nothing major *knock on wood*, but still not a good time for that.  All in all, it wasn't bad, it is 21 yrs old. Smiley I guess at that age he could be in a lot worse shape.  (And don't ask why, my van 'feels' like a he.)  The name came about as a slip of the tongue.  I said it was like a Vampire, draining me of my money, but my mom thought I said Vanpire, so it stuck.  

Usually they get better names then that. Smiley
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 07, 2009, 09:58:06 am »

I name, too.

House. Car. Harp. Computer. iPod. (Ok, and cat, but that one's normal.)

Mostly, I name stuff that has sufficiently personality that I want to talk to it, or sufficient impact on my life I want to be able to encourage it to behave properly.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 09, 2009, 09:30:32 am »

I name, too.

House. Car. Harp. Computer. iPod. (Ok, and cat, but that one's normal.)

Oh, I forgot computers; and not just computers, but the Airport wireless router as well. ("Mother", as a nod to the great SF film Alien. The setup asked me to name it, and I just *couldn't* name it willy-nilly; no, the name had to be just so. And of course, once the Airport was "Mother", when the iPod came along and the setup again required a name, it became "Prodigal"...)

Judging by the posts, cars (and extending it to include bikes, modes of conveyance) seem to win as the most commonly named possession. Not a surprise, really, considering the loving attention they get. There's a reason Stephen King wrote an entire book about a car named Christine.

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #7: August 09, 2009, 10:20:43 am »

Judging by the posts, cars (and extending it to include bikes, modes of conveyance) seem to win as the most commonly named possession. Not a surprise, really, considering the loving attention they get. There's a reason Stephen King wrote an entire book about a car named Christine.

Mnnh, in my case it's not that I care for my car by polishing it every week or so, it is more that I've always felt cars as entities. Kind of.
Hard to explain. Same way I feel about houses. There are good ones, not so good ones. The car works willingly or can be mischievous.
I don't know how this feeling comes up and where it originates, but it's there for me.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 09, 2009, 02:41:36 pm »

Oh, I forgot computers; and not just computers, but the Airport wireless router as well. ("Mother", as a nod to the great SF film Alien. The setup asked me to name it, and I just *couldn't* name it willy-nilly; no, the name had to be just so. And of course, once the Airport was "Mother", when the iPod came along and the setup again required a name, it became "Prodigal"...)

Ok, I suppose I could actually share names, too Smiley

Car: Creature (after the Heather Alexander song, "Creature of the Wood")
Harp: Tale
Computer: Current one is "musica humana", the previous one was "esoterica"
iPod: polyhymnia (which is a really horrible pun, as most of what's on it is Pagan-related music, hence religious.)

House: Refuge (I suspect there's more to that name, but don't know it yet. She's got a *very* strong personality, and sucked me into renting here the moment I walked through the door. Tiny little 400sq foot house, essentially a studio apartment, but standing by herself. Previous tenants had not taken as good care of her as they might have, too.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 09, 2009, 03:25:39 pm »

I name a few things, but excepting godforms, I have a habit of naming them...generically. So my pen is, uh, Pen. My soft toys are Bear, Tiger, Penguin. I sort of *feel* the capital letter if I talk to them (not that I do  Tongue), but it sounds just the same as the normal nouns.

I guess it's because I'm not particularly attached to my specific name. I always think of me as Me.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 09, 2009, 07:06:43 pm »

Obviously, this is a human tendency everyone shares, to greater or lesser extents. But what does it say about us as humans? And do you think pagans feel any greater need than others to name things? Do you think there's any sort of spiritual impulse involved?

Perhaps it's just the animist in me but things that seem to have their own personality or character tend to get named very quickly.

The Car: Lucien
The House I Rent: Shadowgate
The large hunk of rose quartz in my faerie garden: Faeheart
The Greenman plaque hanging outside: Lord Bug (has a ladybug on his tongue)
The PC in my home office: Electra
The Coffeemaker at work: The Caffienator

And yet I struggle with names for my characters when I write fiction.  Roll Eyes

Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 09, 2009, 07:17:23 pm »

The Greenman plaque hanging outside: Lord Bug (has a ladybug on his tongue)

My greenman is Verdanus (with the stress on the first syllable--VER-da-nus--as I understand it would be in Latin).

Love the name of your PC.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: August 11, 2009, 10:22:45 pm »

Mostly, I name stuff that has sufficiently personality that I want to talk to it, or sufficient impact on my life I want to be able to encourage it to behave properly.
This.  But also,

The setup asked me to name it, and I just *couldn't* name it willy-nilly; no, the name had to be just so.
It's not just about me deciding to give names; it's about things that want to be known by name, and about finding the right name - whether that's determining what the thing's name already is (or some acceptable English-language representation of it, see below), or having a conversation with the thing to figure out what name it would like to be called.  (Like Aisling, I see my naming-of-things as relating to my animism; in my case, largely because conversing-with-things is involved.)

My Dodge Caravan is Charlotte III, because she assured me she would be a worthy bearer of the name (and so she has been) - the original Charlotte (a GM half-ton truck) received her name when her reliability in adverse conditions induced me to exclaim, "Some truck!  Radiant!  Double-t, double e, double r-r-r..." (she couldn't be Wilbur because Wilbur was a pig, and her vehicular predecessor was a porcine PITA named Wayne and commonly addressed/apostrophised as "Wayne, you pig!"); hence the name represents a marked degree of reliability and is not given lightly.

My athame, by contrast, has a name that is not a word, but that is represented in English with "my athame".

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
firefly124
Journeyman
Last Login:January 24, 2011, 05:35:40 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: firefly124

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 12, 2009, 07:21:56 pm »

I'm the opposite.  I've tried to name my car or my computer, because it seems like so many people do, but I can't quite seem to anthropomorphize them enough to mange it or something.

"[L]ive as though the world were what it should be, to show it what it can be." -- Angel, "Deep Down"
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #14: August 13, 2009, 05:15:50 am »

I'm the opposite.  I've tried to name my car or my computer, because it seems like so many people do, but I can't quite seem to anthropomorphize them enough to mange it or something.

*nods*  I've had one or two things just sort of organically develop a name (my iPod is Ghostwheel; my two work computers were Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul for a while), but never really managed naming most things.  (Computers and such have names because the system requires it, but they're not, like, personification names--they're just a convenient way to differentiate between "the computer in the living room" and "the computer in the computer room" when speaking of something that needs done on "the computer".)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)