The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 26, 2020, 02:47:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2020, 02:47:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: "Apollonian" vs. "Dionysian"  (Read 22637 times)
Pyrrho
Last Login:January 30, 2010, 06:06:16 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclecticism

Nature knows no quarrels

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: January 05, 2010, 09:34:14 pm »

The most I know of the Apollonian/Dionysian dualism is what I've read in Nietzsche and thought about at his prompting. And though I certainly recognize it in usual life, and did before reading Nietzsche, I can't say I have ever seriously thought about anything but their unity, and the means to it. I almost consider my life an experiment in doing that.

In thought one remains in the womb; in deed he is born

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: January 05, 2010, 10:02:02 pm »

I can't say I have ever seriously thought about anything but their unity, and the means to it. I almost consider my life an experiment in doing that.
Care to elaborate? What do you mean by their unity? How do YOU try to achieve it? Why?

And welcome to TC!

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 11:52:16 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #32: January 06, 2010, 05:06:21 pm »

The most I know of the Apollonian/Dionysian dualism is what I've read in Nietzsche and thought about at his prompting. And though I certainly recognize it in usual life, and did before reading Nietzsche, I can't say I have ever seriously thought about anything but their unity, and the means to it. I almost consider my life an experiment in doing that.
Hi, Pyrrho - don't forget to quote when replying.  Thanks!

Sunflower, TC Forum Staff

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Pyrrho
Last Login:January 30, 2010, 06:06:16 pm

Religion: Eclecticism

Nature knows no quarrels

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: January 28, 2010, 11:03:48 pm »

Care to elaborate? What do you mean by their unity? How do YOU try to achieve it? Why?

And welcome to TC!

I apologize for replying so long after the fact. College is a lot of hoopla.

I'm not sure I remember exactly where I was speaking from any longer; my center of gravity shifts so often, so to say. Speaking of which, though, I suppose you could say that 'balance' would be a clearer term. 'Unity' may be a little overambitious, I don't know.

Whatever, I conceive of the balance/unity of Apollonian and Dionysian forces as ultimately a sort of automatism, or a realization of complete determinism. An illustrative analogy would be a living statue -- it would be a state of being very stern, solid, and relatively invincible, but not without fluidity and a very pervasive aspect of creation. You might even say it would be like being in a continual dream-state while in waking life. There would be no inhibitions, no spiritual depressions, no resistances whatsoever*, but only clear, precise activity flowing ever outwards.

*Not to say that it would be anything like omnipotence, ha! But it would involve a degree of "instinct" high enough that every experience, "negative" or "positive," whatever it was, would be a matter of learning and self-expansion. The depressive emotions - shame, sadness, pity, fear - would be immediately used as instruments for insight rather than allowed to pollute the body and its activities. Changing conditions could be seamlessly adapted to with no loss. Every moment of life would be gain and growth, every challenge would be matched.

As a matter of fact, what I'm thinking may not even deserve to be spoken about. How should I know what goes on in other people? For all I know I could be the only one with such an illness that I would even need to think about these things. I used to wonder whether I might not be just as naive as a child, but then I spoke to a child that knew better. I may even be abusing the terms Apollonian and Dionysian!

As to why, well, I suppose it's easiest to say I'm a completionist. I want nothing excluded, nothing missing. This conveys my reason pretty well: "One is All and through it is All and by it is All and if you have not All, All is Nothing."

Basically I want to devour existence, and I've got to combat digestive problems.  Cheesy  

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 11:31:25 pm by Pyrrho » Logged

In thought one remains in the womb; in deed he is born
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: January 29, 2010, 09:59:57 am »

Basically I want to devour existence, and I've got to combat digestive problems.  Cheesy 
Smiley Great closing. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)