The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 23, 2021, 12:47:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2021, 12:47:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grounding & Centering?  (Read 6727 times)
Christina89
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 11, 2010, 02:21:18 am
United States United States

Religion: I'm back to searching...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 17, 2009, 04:02:10 pm »

So I just finished Wicca for Beginners by Thea Sabin and I found it to be very helpful.

I tried out her taproot grounding exercise and I'm a bit lost.

I don't think it's so much that the "taproot" approach didn't work for me, because I could feel myself connecting with the Earth.

When I started trying to pull the energy into my body, I noticed that I felt it go through my right arm immediately. Then my left leg, then up to my head. I had trouble getting it into my right leg and left arm.

And if that didn't confuse me enough, I couldn't release the energy afterwards. I tried to push it all back out but I could still feel it.

Did I do something wrong? Or is it possible that I never actually absorbed any energy to begin with? Sometimes I want something to happen so much that I'm convinced it did...whether that's the case or not.

Any help on this would be loved. C:

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

TisiphoneSeraph
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:27:49 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch
TCN ID: TisiphoneSeraph

Dreams speak the truth we dare not seek

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 17, 2009, 05:23:30 pm »

Sounds like a lack of focus to me.

I could be wrong, but I've noticed, at least when I do energy work (which admittedly is not that often), that unless I have a very precise kind of focus, I loose control of it very easily. Especially when it comes to releasing it.

Perhaps you need to meditate longer or go for a run beforehand. Try doing it at a different time of day when your mind doesn't wander as much.
Christina89
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 17, 2009, 05:56:28 pm »

Perhaps you need to meditate longer or go for a run beforehand. Try doing it at a different time of day when your mind doesn't wander as much.

I think I'll try that then.  I did notice that my mind was wandering a lot. I had so much on my mind and I did it right before bed.

I think I may have rushed the whole thing altogehter.

I'll spend some more time with it tonight.

Thank you. C:
Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 17, 2009, 05:58:56 pm »

So I just finished Wicca for Beginners by Thea Sabin and I found it to be very helpful.

I tried out her taproot grounding exercise and I'm a bit lost.

I don't think it's so much that the "taproot" approach didn't work for me, because I could feel myself connecting with the Earth.

When I started trying to pull the energy into my body, I noticed that I felt it go through my right arm immediately. Then my left leg, then up to my head. I had trouble getting it into my right leg and left arm.

And if that didn't confuse me enough, I couldn't release the energy afterwards. I tried to push it all back out but I could still feel it.

Did I do something wrong? Or is it possible that I never actually absorbed any energy to begin with? Sometimes I want something to happen so much that I'm convinced it did...whether that's the case or not.

I've never read the book, so all I can go off of are my own experiences. If you're having problems connecting with the earth, I'd recommend you find a place where you can sit directly on the ground, as that helps me. Preferably somewhere quiet. That might help. You could also try using a stone that cleanses or grounds you (I'd start with quartz if you've not worked with this type of thing before) and hold one of those in your left hand, and see if that helps to "unclog" the energy. It also could be due to you just starting out. You can't expect it to be perfect the first time. Perhaps try working with it off and on, and see if it gets better/worse/stays the same.

Hope that helps
-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
Christina89
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 17, 2009, 06:03:34 pm »

Hope that helps
-Devo

I think I remember the use of rocks and crystals being mentioned in the book. There was something about flat rocks being used at some festivals...or something.

I'll spend a little more time trying to focus and see how that works.

If it does or doesn't, I still might try the rock/crystal method. Just to see what works best for me.

The getting outside thing might be kind of hard though. I'm 20-years-old but my "outing priveliges" are still restricted by my mother.

Thankfully though, I'll get the chance to go meet with a Pagan group this weekend. I'm hoping it goes well.

Thanks again, Devo. You've been super helpful to me.  Grin
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 17, 2009, 06:10:21 pm »

I think I'll try that then.  I did notice that my mind was wandering a lot. I had so much on my mind and I did it right before bed.

I think I may have rushed the whole thing altogehter.

I'll spend some more time with it tonight.

Thank you. C:
Do you naturally hold on to energy in your everyday life? Especially if this was your first time doing this, it sounds like you have a natural inclination for this. How did you finally get rid of it, or haven't you?

Drawing energy from the Earth can be pretty powerful stuff (although I'd be surprised if someone said "harmful"). You should work on finding a way to let go of this energy before it builds up and starts driving you bananas or otherwise bothering you. If you like, you might work on it with smaller things, like drawing energy from a tree or charging an object, before going for the full grounding thing again.

It does sound like you were rushed and out of focus doing it before bed. Try it at another time of day and meditate more before, like TisiphoneSeraph said. I like visualizations, so here are some I would try if I were having the same problem:

- Assuming you're drawing energy UP through your feet or spine, etc., you could then visualize it continuing on up through your body before exhaling it as a smoke or mist. I usually do this exhaling thing as a smog to get ride of negative energy, but it could definitely work here too.
- Visualize a faucet on your head or back or wherever. Visualize the faucet turning to let the extra energy pour out.
- This might be a bit far-fetched or too severe, but you might even visualize a vacuum hook up on yourself somewhere. lol. Maybe the other end of the vacuum hose is connected back to the Earth. Visualize a switch flipping and sucking out extra energy.

Anyway. You get the idea. If you're not into visualizations, someone else can probably help you better. I would just say "try harder" then, and I don't know if that's helpful!

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 17, 2009, 06:38:50 pm »

For me, it was (for a long time) easier to dump excess energy than to draw it up. (It was also easier for me to work with images other than earth stuff, but I'll get back to that in a moment.)

A few questions, that might help with diagnosis of some possible problems. How were you standing/sitting? Are you normally right handed or left handed? And, one quiz: put your hands quickly together without thinking about it. Which thumb is more comfortable on top?

The purpose of grounding is to rebalance as much as anything. So, if you were under your ideal amount of internal energy when you started, and then took in enough to balance you, you wouldn't necessarily have excess. I'd suggest trying the exercise (and some related ones) several times at different times of day, different levels of energy (like after a great time out with friends, on a lazy weekend morning, before you go out for the day, after you come back - all sorts of options) and see what patterns you come up with.

There's also the possibility that earth-models for grounding are not the one you find most initially comfortable: in my early work (mostly on my own), I had a much easier time with water than with earth, or with air - feeling a breeze after a storm, for example. Working with other modes made it easier to make the earth part make sense - but it still took a while and some practice/experience.

[/quote]

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Christina89
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 17, 2009, 06:52:40 pm »

Do you naturally hold on to energy in your everyday life? Especially if this was your first time doing this, it sounds like you have a natural inclination for this.

I think I might hold onto a lot of energy. People always tell me that I look really tense/stressed, even when I feel like I'm calm. I tend to hold a lot of things in that I probably shouldn't.

How did you finally get rid of it, or haven't you?

I'm not entirely sure I have. I couldn't manage to do it and eventually I think I just fell asleep.

It does sound like you were rushed and out of focus doing it before bed. Try it at another time of day and meditate more before, like TisiphoneSeraph said. I like visualizations, so here are some I would try if I were having the same problem:

The smoke thing sounds like it might be easier. I've done some meditation before and I've found that breathing exercises help me focus more.

A few questions, that might help with diagnosis of some possible problems. How were you standing/sitting? Are you normally right handed or left handed? And, one quiz: put your hands quickly together without thinking about it. Which thumb is more comfortable on top?

I started out sitting up, but I didn't feel very comfortable.  So I layed down on my back. The book said I should be comfortable and relaxed. I'm assuming that was very wrong...

I'm right handed, but my left thumb feels more comfortable on top. =/

The purpose of grounding is to rebalance as much as anything. So, if you were under your ideal amount of internal energy when you started,

I don't know. I tend to be a pretty energetic person. Even if I never get the chance to put most of that energy to use. Usually the only time when I feel drained is if I've been up for close to 24 hours straight...
Devo
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 17, 2009, 07:00:36 pm »

There's also the possibility that earth-models for grounding are not the one you find most initially comfortable: in my early work (mostly on my own), I had a much easier time with water than with earth, or with air - feeling a breeze after a storm, for example. Working with other modes made it easier to make the earth part make sense - but it still took a while and some practice/experience.

I am the same way. Often times, just sitting in some water will make me zen out automatically.
I think I might hold onto a lot of energy. People always tell me that I look really tense/stressed, even when I feel like I'm calm. I tend to hold a lot of things in that I probably shouldn't.
Don't worry, my hand is the same way. I'm left handed, but my right hand is more receptive and dominant for spiritual workings. It just happens some times. If you have problems with holding things in, you might want to consider working with chakras and cleansings, so that you're not accidentally carrying around stuff you don't need.
-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
Christina89
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 17, 2009, 07:07:34 pm »

consider working with chakras and cleansings, so that you're not accidentally carrying around stuff you don't need.
-Devo

I'm not exactly sure how I'd do that. I mean, I know what the chakras are (though I don't know them offhand) but I don't know how to go about working with them.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 17, 2009, 07:57:22 pm »

I started out sitting up, but I didn't feel very comfortable.  So I layed down on my back. The book said I should be comfortable and relaxed. I'm assuming that was very wrong...

What, the comfortable and relaxed part, or the lying down part?

Both lying down and sitting up can work, but the visualisations/approaches you use may be a bit different. For example, it's a little harder to visualise yourself as a tall tree with a deep root, reaching towards the sun if you're lying on your back: your body (which runs energy) *and* your internal sense of self are pointed in a different direction than the visualisation. (It's not to say it can't be done, but it's usually harder.)

So, for a meditation that focuses on being a tree, for example, you might try it standing up, or at least sitting in a straight-backed chair or with your legs crossed on the floor. All of those keep your spine upright, and will help with the sensation. For a grounding visualisation where you feel your energy sinking into the ground and melting away from you, lying down might be easier.

(Also, a tip: I find it's a lot more comfortable if my knees are bent, when I'm on my back, and I don't usually find it has a significant impact on the energy flow or sensation. Give it a try, see what works for you.)

That's not a bad thing - just makes me think that your left hand is, in fact, your projective hand, and many people find it's easier to sense and move energy with that hand initially. It might explain why things feel a little more stuck with your right hand, and exercises that help move energy through your body might help. (I am not going to dig out my copy of Wicca for Beginner's tonight, because work has made me go ow, but I will see what I can find that might help in the next day or two.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Christina89
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 17, 2009, 08:14:38 pm »

What, the comfortable and relaxed part, or the lying down part?

your body (which runs energy) *and* your internal sense of self are pointed in a different direction than the visualisation.

Gotcha. I see where I went wrong there, now.

That's not a bad thing - just makes me think that your left hand is, in fact, your projective hand, and many people find it's easier to sense and move energy with that hand initially. It might explain why things feel a little more stuck with your right hand, and exercises that help move energy through your body might help. (I am not going to dig out my copy of Wicca for Beginner's tonight, because work has made me go ow, but I will see what I can find that might help in the next day or two.)

Ah, it was the left hand with the trouble....

So now, I'm slightly more confused. I just looked back at the grounding section of the myself and I think I'll try the energy sensing exercises and see how things turn out.

And any extra help at any time would be lovely. C:
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #12: August 17, 2009, 08:16:52 pm »

Keep trying, since a lot of these exercises take discipline and work, but if you just can't get it after an honest effort over time, don't worry too hard.  I am one of those people who simply cannot move energy around in my own body.  I can vent excess energy, sort of, but when I raise energy for spell work I always have to contain it outside of myself - either loose in a dedicated circle (or other shape), or in an object.  

It is somewhat clumsy for actually using the energy, and you lose a lot of the physical sensation people like so much about this kind of work, but needs dictate methods.  I have unpleasant physical effects when I run energy through myself so I don't do it.  Some people are unable to visualize but can smell, feel, hear, etc. - we work with our non-physical strengths and accommodate our non-physical weaknesses, just like regular world stuff.

Give it a good try, though.  Be sure that the limitation is real, rather than pre-emptively limiting yourself.

Absent
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 08:20:21 pm by Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED) » Logged

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Devo
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 17, 2009, 08:38:47 pm »

I'm not exactly sure how I'd do that. I mean, I know what the chakras are (though I don't know them offhand) but I don't know how to go about working with them.

Essentially what I'm getting at is that if you hold onto energies too much, too frequently, or in the wrong ways, it's possible to block up your energy highways and byways. That, or it could be a sign of being out of balance. Both of these things can be remedied through chakra work. Chakras contain energy, and can be considered energy "hot spots" within your body. When I ground and center, I usually cleanse my chakras in the process. For me, visualizing the colors becoming brighter, and going through the extra step of cleaning everything out helps me a lot. Perhaps it would be worth looking in to *shrug* though it's more of an Asian thing.

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
littlebird
Apprentice
Last Login:February 14, 2011, 02:04:02 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 17, 2009, 09:53:28 pm »

Essentially what I'm getting at is that if you hold onto energies too much, too frequently, or in the wrong ways, it's possible to block up your energy highways and byways.

Chakra cleansing and balancing is a good thing to do whenever you're trying to do energy work. It can identify issues or energy blockages you're not aware of. It can be difficult if you've got a lot of energy stored or things you've pushed to the back of your mind. My favorite method is to use the whirlwind cleansing meditation.

First step is to get into the meditative state, and visualize each of the chakras and their color. Then I focus on a clockwise moving whirlwind of energy, starting in the Base/Root chakra, clearing it out and knocking out any negative energy (which is also helpful to visualize). Visualize it getting brighter and starting to spin clockwise with the whirlwind. Move it through each of the chakras going up, until you reach the crown chakra. Then put a boost of power into the whirlwind and visualize all of the accumlated negative energy being blown out of the top of your head.

It can be very difficult to get used to moving energy, especially within your own body. Some people never become very comfortable with it, but there are rewards for learning how to use it properly.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)