The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 23, 2021, 01:57:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2021, 01:57:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grounding & Centering?  (Read 6729 times)
Christina89
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 11, 2010, 02:21:18 am
United States United States

Religion: I'm back to searching...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: August 18, 2009, 12:36:42 am »

Chakra cleansing and balancing is a good thing to do whenever you're trying to do energy work.

Ah, ok. I see now.

I think I'll take a few weeks and try to really get my grounding going properly. I've been reading (in books and on forums/websites) that you shouldn't do any other energy work until you can ground properly.

The side effects don't sound too serious...but dizziness and headaches have always been something that I can't handle.

Something I've also considered after reading up on some things (and that I think someone else touched on earlier), I think last time I may have been low on energy in general. And since I didn't practice grounding for very long, I didn't take in much energy.

I'm going to have to go into some sort of Wiccan Scientist mode and do some experimenting/testing with my techniques and energy levels.

I'm kind of excited. x3

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: August 18, 2009, 07:51:37 pm »

I've been reading (in books and on forums/websites) that you shouldn't do any other energy work until you can ground properly.
Why?

Just wondering. I haven't heard that before. I guess it is considered a "basic skill" of sorts, but I'm wondering why someone would say you shouldn't do anything else before you're able to ground. Maybe you shouldn't do a full circle casting / spell work if you don't ground well? That's IF you're Wiccan-ish and cast a circle at all.

?

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
TisiphoneSeraph
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:27:49 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch
TCN ID: TisiphoneSeraph

Dreams speak the truth we dare not seek

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: August 18, 2009, 09:24:13 pm »

I think I'll take a few weeks and try to really get my grounding going properly. I've been reading (in books and on forums/websites) that you shouldn't do any other energy work until you can ground properly.

I mean it certainly helps but it isn't like a requirement. Grounding is a good basic meditation anyways, that if you can get it down will help with other things but I don't think it should keep you from doing other types of energy work. Research some more, but most importantly know yourself.
littlebird
Apprentice
Last Login:February 14, 2011, 02:04:02 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: August 18, 2009, 09:43:42 pm »

Why?

Just wondering. I haven't heard that before. I guess it is considered a "basic skill" of sorts, but I'm wondering why someone would say you shouldn't do anything else before you're able to ground. Maybe you shouldn't do a full circle casting / spell work if you don't ground well? That's IF you're Wiccan-ish and cast a circle at all.

?

I only think grounding is a first step for doing energy work that involves altering the energy within your own body. Casting a circle, working a spell, or other types of energy work that can be done "outside" of the body don't necessary require the skill to ground yourself, but if bringing energy into your body or trying to raise it internally, being able to ground and draw in or release energy helps.

Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: August 18, 2009, 09:46:18 pm »

I mean it certainly helps but it isn't like a requirement. Grounding is a good basic meditation anyways, that if you can get it down will help with other things but I don't think it should keep you from doing other types of energy work. Research some more, but most importantly know yourself.
I would tend to agree. I don't ground very often, and have been working with my own personal energy since I was a child (just didn't know what it was called/what I was doing). So it's not a complete requirement. But that being said, it is definitely a good thing to know

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: August 18, 2009, 10:02:21 pm »

I only think grounding is a first step for doing energy work that involves altering the energy within your own body. Casting a circle, working a spell, or other types of energy work that can be done "outside" of the body don't necessary require the skill to ground yourself, but if bringing energy into your body or trying to raise it internally, being able to ground and draw in or release energy helps.
Right, it's helpful. The way Christina phrased it made it sound like some sort of prerequisite, which I don't believe it is.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
CalLuna
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 09, 2010, 03:36:35 am

Religion: Seeking the right path

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: August 18, 2009, 11:45:11 pm »

For example, it's a little harder to visualise yourself as a tall tree with a deep root, reaching towards the sun if you're lying on your back: your body (which runs energy) *and* your internal sense of self are pointed in a different direction than the visualisation. (It's not to say it can't be done, but it's usually harder.)

Funnily enough, the exercise I use now, a variant on the 'taproot' one the OP mentioned, is exactly that.  I lie down and visualize roots extending into the earth from all over my body.  I 'push' any negative energy down the roots into the earth to be recycled, then 'pull' positive energy in from the universe (AKA above me) to replace it.  I don't picture branches going up but I end up feeling like a tree anyway.

I do it this way because I feel negative energy very strongly in certain places in my body -- heart, head and stomach usually -- and don't like having to 'push' it all the way down my spine in order to get it out.  Too often pieces got 'stuck' further down my body.  I find it easier and more thorough to connect in as many places as possible.

"... She moves in the power of changing, and She calls to our hearts Freedom, freedom!"
   -from the song When God Was a Woman
CalLuna
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 09, 2010, 03:36:35 am

Religion: Seeking the right path

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: August 18, 2009, 11:48:57 pm »

I'm going to have to go into some sort of Wiccan Scientist mode and do some experimenting/testing with my techniques and energy levels.

I'm kind of excited. x3

"Wiccan Scientist mode" ... I like!  I might steal that description for myself Smiley. Sounds to me like you're definitely on the right track.

I mentioned above that I do a variation on the 'taproot' technique with multiple roots instead of one.  It helps keep me from getting energy 'stuck' in my body.  Maybe you could try that?

"... She moves in the power of changing, and She calls to our hearts Freedom, freedom!"
   -from the song When God Was a Woman
Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: August 18, 2009, 11:53:42 pm »

Funnily enough, the exercise I use now, a variant on the 'taproot' one the OP mentioned, is exactly that.  I lie down and visualize roots extending into the earth from all over my body.  I 'push' any negative energy down the roots into the earth to be recycled, then 'pull' positive energy in from the universe (AKA above me) to replace it.  I don't picture branches going up but I end up feeling like a tree anyway.

I do it this way because I feel negative energy very strongly in certain places in my body -- heart, head and stomach usually -- and don't like having to 'push' it all the way down my spine in order to get it out.  Too often pieces got 'stuck' further down my body.  I find it easier and more thorough to connect in as many places as possible.

I've used a grounding method when laying down. I'll envision the earth covering me- moss, roots, dirt, whatever you want and when I'm covered, I see the bad stuff being leeched out of me. If that makes sense. Sometimes it's easier for me to do. Not to mention, I can visualize/feel the warmth of hte earth that way. It's a nice feeling, helps to drive things home for me.

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
Christina89
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 11, 2010, 02:21:18 am

Religion: I'm back to searching...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: August 19, 2009, 01:03:07 pm »

Right, it's helpful. The way Christina phrased it made it sound like some sort of prerequisite, which I don't believe it is.

Oh, that actually was the way I interpreted that.

I'm glad for the clarification though. :3

And I think I'm getting close to sorting out a grounding method that works best for me. Strangely, it works best when I ground out night.  Undecided

But the two methods that have worked for me are the taproot one to absorb energy, and then a kind of whirlwind that whooshes it all away.

Another one I somehow ended up visualizing last night was, instead of a taproot, it was a little plug. And there was a socket deep in the earth. My little plug/cord connected and a tiny green light came on in my mind. As I started absorbing energy, a little knob (like for volume or something) starting turning and my negative energy came out through speakers. That one seemed to work too.

Is it just me or is that kind of strange?

The first time I managed to release some negative energy, I got this strange peaceful feeling and the next day (yesterday) I had a confidence I've never felt before. It was nice, for lack of a better word.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)