The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 23, 2019, 02:02:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2019, 02:02:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Witch Bottles  (Read 6742 times)
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 04, 2007, 07:35:47 pm »

I was reading the article on witch bottles and found it very interesting. I have a few comments and questions, though. It says that these bottles often contain bodily fluids to represent you, such as blood and urine. I don't really understand what real affect these substances can have because they aren't really specific to you. Blood can be transfused between people (of the same type) easily, and urine... I don't know exactly what urine is composed of, but I don't think each person's urine is unique. Wouldn't it be more effective to put in a bit of yourself with DNA?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Beachglass
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2013, 12:19:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Nonspecific Pagan-Leaning

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 04, 2007, 07:45:06 pm »

Blood can be transfused between people (of the same type) easily, and urine... I don't know exactly what urine is composed of, but I don't think each person's urine is unique. Wouldn't it be more effective to put in a bit of yourself with DNA?

Doesn't most bodily fluid already have DNA in it?

"the further we go and older we grow the more we know the less we show"
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 04, 2007, 07:50:50 pm »

I was reading the article on witch bottles and found it very interesting. I have a few comments and questions, though. It says that these bottles often contain bodily fluids to represent you, such as blood and urine. I don't really understand what real affect these substances can have because they aren't really specific to you. Blood can be transfused between people (of the same type) easily, and urine... I don't know exactly what urine is composed of, but I don't think each person's urine is unique. Wouldn't it be more effective to put in a bit of yourself with DNA?

One thought that comes to mind is that witch bottles, (allegedly since I'm no historian) have been around since long before people knew what DNA was... so presumably, based on what they knew of biology they would be assuming that each person's urine and blood would be unique to that person.
Am I making sense?

Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 04, 2007, 07:59:02 pm »

It's a very specific form of disrespect.  I piss on you.  My very blood supports my desire.  I offer you nothing but fecundity.  *I* dump offal and fecundity upon you. 

I use my personal fluids to imbue this bottle with my exact feelings towards you, since they will represent my will far beyond the voice that I speak my words with carries.

I guess part of the question is whether you feel like the bottle does the magic, or your will.  If you feel it is the bottle, then the contents matter.  "blood" any blood may hold equal value. 

If you feel it is your will, then all that matters is how pissing on your target would make you feel to raise and direct the correct energy.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 04, 2007, 08:32:15 pm »

Doesn't most bodily fluid already have DNA in it?

Definately not blood, and most probably not urine, which were two of the examples given and the ones most easily available to females.

One thought that comes to mind is that witch bottles, (allegedly since I'm no historian) have been around since long before people knew what DNA was... so presumably, based on what they knew of biology they would be assuming that each person's urine and blood would be unique to that person.
Am I making sense?
Yes, but now that we *do* know, wouldn't it be more affective?

It's a very specific form of disrespect.  I piss on you.  My very blood supports my desire.  I offer you nothing but fecundity.  *I* dump offal and fecundity upon you. 

I use my personal fluids to imbue this bottle with my exact feelings towards you, since they will represent my will far beyond the voice that I speak my words with carries.

I guess part of the question is whether you feel like the bottle does the magic, or your will.  If you feel it is the bottle, then the contents matter.  "blood" any blood may hold equal value. 

If you feel it is your will, then all that matters is how pissing on your target would make you feel to raise and direct the correct energy.

But, if I understood the article correctly, there are different versions of the bottle. One that mirrors the evil and reflects it to the sender, another that absorbs it (which is the version I'm going for), and another that transforms the evil into good.

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: May 04, 2007, 08:41:53 pm »

Definately not blood, and most probably not urine, which were two of the examples given and the ones most easily available to females.

If blood didn't hold DNA, why would people use blood for DNA tests?  That doesn't make any sense.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 04, 2007, 08:45:22 pm »

If blood didn't hold DNA, why would people use blood for DNA tests?  That doesn't make any sense.

If blood had DNA, how could they use it in transfusions? Your is making me doubt now, though. I'm just going by what my biology teacher said. He has a doctorate, so I would assume he knows what he's talking about... Huh

Beachglass
Master Member

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 04, 2007, 08:46:09 pm »

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  I know CSI isn't exactly a reliable source, but they test blood for DNA in pretty much every episode.  If that wasn't possible, I'm sure someone would have called them on it by now.

Fausta
Reserve Staff
Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:December 08, 2012, 09:06:42 pm
Finland Finland

Religion: Thelema / Religio Romana -ish

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: May 04, 2007, 08:50:31 pm »

It says that these bottles often contain bodily fluids to represent you, such as blood and urine. I don't really understand what real affect these substances can have because they aren't really specific to you.

With witch bottles, we're talking about magickal properties and linksg, not scientific. Smiley The urine and blood are off you, thus in a magickal sense linked to you. The organic matter of the witch bottle maker in the bottle represents the person and acts as a target - diversion to the ill effects sent to her, which would then hit the bottle, not the person.

That said, urine does have DNA, as has blood and other traditional "personal bits" put in witch bottles, like hair and pubic hair. (Here is a small paper on using DNA from urine as a potential source of identification, it's a one-page pdf-file).

Fausta Acilia Mus
Beachglass
Master Member

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 04, 2007, 08:54:12 pm »

If blood had DNA, how could they use it in transfusions? Your is making me doubt now, though. I'm just going by what my biology teacher said. He has a doctorate, so I would assume he knows what he's talking about... Huh

Well, I know Wikipedia's not really as reliable as a biology teacher, but it looks like DNA is not important to blood compatibility:

Compatibility

Great care is taken in cross-matching to ensure that the recipient's immune system will not attack the donor blood. In addition to the familiar human blood types (A, B, AB and O) and Rh factor (positive or negative) classifications, other minor red cell antigens are known to play a role in compatibility. These other types can become increasingly important in people who receive many blood transfusions, as their bodies develop increasing resistance to blood from other people via a process of alloimmunization.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 08:55:55 pm by Beachglass, Reason: clarification » Logged

Fausta
Reserve Staff
Staff
Journeyman
Finland Finland

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: May 04, 2007, 08:58:52 pm »

If blood had DNA, how could they use it in transfusions?

This page could help you: http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/mole00/mole00663.htm

Fausta Acilia Mus
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 04, 2007, 09:00:40 pm »

Well, I know Wikipedia's not as reliable as your biology teacher, but it looks like DNA is not important to blood compatibility:

That makes me think that he misunderstood my question. He probably answered for red blood cells and not for the whole mixture.

With witch bottles, we're talking about magickal properties and linksg, not scientific. Smiley The urine and blood are off you, thus in a magickal sense linked to you.  (Here is a small paper on using DNA from urine as a potential source of identification, it's a one-page pdf-file).

I suppose you could say that, but magic can't blatantly ignore what science says. To me, magic is just phenomena that science doesn't understand yet. If there was no other linkage between me and these things other than a "magical" one, then I don't really believe they're effective, but if there's an actual, scientific link that just hasn't been discovered yet, that I'll believe. I guess my question isn't even valid anymore since I know now my bio teacher didn't understand what I was asking him when he told me about the DNA thing.

Fausta
Reserve Staff
Staff
Journeyman
Finland Finland

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: May 04, 2007, 09:23:56 pm »

I suppose you could say that, but magic can't blatantly ignore what science says. To me, magic is just phenomena that science doesn't understand yet.

Ah. Smiley Here, we're moving into quite another field of discussion. I'd say much of magick has "always" blatantly ignored what science says. Not only what science said in history, but what's the current understanding of scientific laws. For example, items that have belonged to a given person have been and are used as a representative of the whole person, as well as images (statuettes, drawings, even photographs). It's not at all unheard of to take an object and simply declare it to represent somebody and have the working, well, work.

If there was no other linkage between me and these things other than a "magical" one, then I don't really believe they're effective, but if there's an actual, scientific link that just hasn't been discovered yet, that I'll believe.

To me, this is more of a personal belief deriving limitation than a general rule for the whole of magick.

I guess my question isn't even valid anymore since I know now my bio teacher didn't understand what I was asking him when he told me about the DNA thing.

While the scientific link to a 'donor' through DNA found in traditional witch bottle ingredients (urine, blood, hairs) has been dealt with - they do have DNA of the donor, although urine has it in too small amounts for general identification usage - this discussion has taken an interesting turn with belief of magick's boundaries.

Fausta Acilia Mus
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 07, 2019, 10:49:07 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: May 04, 2007, 10:39:43 pm »

It says that these bottles often contain bodily fluids to represent you, such as blood and urine. I don't really understand what real affect these substances can have because they aren't really specific to you.

One of the "laws" of magic is the "law of contagion."  My the law of contagion, what was once a part of you is you for magical purposes. Putting bodily fluids in a witch bottle makes use of the law of contagion to connect the witch bottle to you.  The law of contagion is being used when the hair, blood, nail clippings, etc. of another are used in a spell designed to affect that person.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: May 04, 2007, 10:41:11 pm »

One of the "laws" of magic is the "law of contagion."  My the law of contagion, what was once a part of you is you for magical purposes. Putting bodily fluids in a witch bottle makes use of the law of contagion to connect the witch bottle to you.  The law of contagion is being used when the hair, blood, nail clippings, etc. of another are used in a spell designed to affect that person.

How is that different from "sympathetic" magic?  Or is it a subset of sympathetic magic?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)