The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 25, 2021, 11:46:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 25, 2021, 11:46:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Texas Public Schools Required to Teach Bible This Year  (Read 20290 times)
RyanCSmith
Journeyman
Last Login:October 13, 2009, 06:59:43 pm
United States United States

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 19, 2009, 02:32:25 pm »

Article here

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: August 19, 2009, 02:42:21 pm »

if it was ACTUALLY Bible as literature, I wouldn't mind so much.  But it clearly looks like a way to push Christianity, not a way to explore the way religion has affected our history.  And that's a big problem.

Of course, there are ways this class could be made delightfully subversive .. which would be interesting to see the fallout of!

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #2: August 19, 2009, 02:53:19 pm »

if it was ACTUALLY Bible as literature, I wouldn't mind so much.  But it clearly looks like a way to push Christianity, not a way to explore the way religion has affected our history.  And that's a big problem.

I'm with you there, but...  I'm not seeing that in the article, actually; I don't see anything there that suggests to me that this is more than just Bible-as-literature (or possibly Bible-as-cultural-element, which is still different from Bible-as-Truth).  Am I just missing it?

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RyanCSmith
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 19, 2009, 03:04:18 pm »

Of course, there are ways this class could be made delightfully subversive .. which would be interesting to see the fallout of!

From what I recall in the seminar on historical writing I took for my BA the ONLY field of history that considers the Bible to be a reputable primary source document is Biblical History.  Every.  Single.  Other.  Field considers the Bible to be a piece of literature for use as a secondary source at best or to understand justifications that were used in period as relevant.  Most of the reason for that is because the Bible has been edited more times than most people change their underwear.  If they were examining it as a piece of literature and its genuine historical impact that would be one thing, although a class like that sounds more like upper division college coursework not something to do in elementary school to do it right, but this doesn't sound like that especially with recent debates (I'll post the link when I find it) on revising the history curriculum in Texas to include more religious influences and downplay people like Cesar Chavez for example.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: August 19, 2009, 03:05:16 pm »

I'm with you there, but...  I'm not seeing that in the article, actually; I don't see anything there that suggests to me that this is more than just Bible-as-literature (or possibly Bible-as-cultural-element, which is still different from Bible-as-Truth).  Am I just missing it?

Well - not exactly.  But A) it's Texas, there's a history.

And b) there's more than one comment about teaching religion.  and "showing the religion's roots in the American government" - which is loaded.  goes right back to the "the US was founded as a Christian nation" rot.

So, really, I'd need to see proof that it ISN'T something like that, rather than assume it might not be.

RyanCSmith
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 19, 2009, 03:18:08 pm »

And b) there's more than one comment about teaching religion.  and "showing the religion's roots in the American government" - which is loaded.  goes right back to the "the US was founded as a Christian nation" rot.

So, really, I'd need to see proof that it ISN'T something like that, rather than assume it might not be.

For bonus points the article indicated that the STATE won't be funding this new addition to the curriculum.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: August 19, 2009, 03:33:18 pm »

I can promise you the intent of the law was religious. The Texas Legislature is controlled by Republicans and the Texas Republican party is controlled by the Religious Right.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 19, 2009, 04:41:43 pm »

I saw this on my LJ this morning- another friend of mine posted it, and I think it's stupid. I don't mind using the Bible for literary standings but using it for the "history of country" is a crock of crap. From what I've read, most of the founding fathers were deists, not Christian. Not to mention religion shouldn't be in school, unless you're going to teach about more than just Abrahamic faith (mainly Christian).

I personally think it's a waste of money.

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #8: August 19, 2009, 04:44:55 pm »

OK, point.

If this were a different state, I'd argue that Christianity has had a great deal of influence on this country, socially and probably politically.  Might not have been founded as a Christian nation, but that doesn't mean it's not an influence worth exploring.

Since this is Texas, though, and there is a history, I'll just concede the point and drop it.  Wink

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: August 19, 2009, 04:46:00 pm »

OK, point.

If this were a different state, I'd argue that Christianity has had a great deal of influence on this country, socially and probably politically.  Might not have been founded as a Christian nation, but that doesn't mean it's not an influence worth exploring.

Since this is Texas, though, and there is a history, I'll just concede the point and drop it.  Wink

heh - as I said, it COULD be legit.  it's just that those words tend to be code for a very specific agenda.

I absolutely think the influence should be explored - but that's not the same thing! Cheesy

RyanCSmith
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 19, 2009, 04:56:17 pm »

I saw this on my LJ this morning- another friend of mine posted it, and I think it's stupid. I don't mind using the Bible for literary standings but using it for the "history of country" is a crock of crap. From what I've read, most of the founding fathers were deists, not Christian. Not to mention religion shouldn't be in school, unless you're going to teach about more than just Abrahamic faith (mainly Christian).

I personally think it's a waste of money.

-Devo

There's QUITE a few pages of quotes floating around that pretty conclusively shoot down the idea that the Founders intended this to be a "Christian Nation" (whatever that is) and I know in George Washington's case he never accepted communion during his adult life and did not ask for any kind of religious person to attend to him as he lay dying.  There's also quite a few quotes from Tom Paine and John Adams that (paraphrasing) pretty much say Christianity is a crock in Paine's case VERY forcefully.

Quite frankly anything that the Religious Wrong likes gets my hackles up pretty quick; those people don't do things JUST out of the goodness of their hearts from what I've seen.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: August 19, 2009, 06:10:11 pm »

I can promise you the intent of the law was religious. The Texas Legislature is controlled by Republicans and the Texas Republican party is controlled by the Religious Right.

Oh yes. No question that's the intent.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: August 19, 2009, 06:13:56 pm »

There's QUITE a few pages of quotes floating around that pretty conclusively shoot down the idea that the Founders intended this to be a "Christian Nation" (whatever that is) and I know in George Washington's case he never accepted communion during his adult life and did not ask for any kind of religious person to attend to him as he lay dying.  There's also quite a few quotes from Tom Paine and John Adams that (paraphrasing) pretty much say Christianity is a crock in Paine's case VERY forcefully.

Do not ever make the mistake of thinking that the Religious Right doesn't cherry pick their historical information. They do. Consistently and constantly.

And this is Texas we're talking about. The "Christian Nation" bit is written into the state's GOP platform.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
RyanCSmith
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 19, 2009, 06:19:15 pm »

Do not ever make the mistake of thinking that the Religious Right doesn't cherry pick their historical information. They do. Consistently and constantly.

And this is Texas we're talking about. The "Christian Nation" bit is written into the state's GOP platform.

Oh no, those people will distort, twist, and outright fabricate ANYTHING that can be used to support their ideas.  I've spent too much time reading up on them to think they wouldn't do that or to dismiss them out of hand just because the horse they hitched their wagon to in November lost. They'll take whatever they can get to justify an American theocracy and this one item is a small part of the overall strategy of changing the dialogue, discussion, and facts to support their position.

I love the bonus points that this new program while mandated by the state legislature won't be paid for by state monies.
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 21, 2009, 10:37:30 pm »

So, wait. All schools? Or all highschools?
I heard anything about this before now, and I don't see how it can be enforced if every one has already chosen their courses, at least at my school. I just checked on its website, and that course is definitely not offered.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)