The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 02, 2020, 02:08:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 02, 2020, 02:08:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Avatar Helpers: Get a Custom Avatar Here  (Read 83115 times)
Beachglass
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2013, 12:19:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Nonspecific Pagan-Leaning

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 03, 2007, 01:20:04 pm »

Do you:

a) have a lovely photo for your avatar, but no idea how to fit it into that little space?

b) have no idea what to do for your avatar, but still want a shiny picture?

or c) love messing around with Photoshop, PSP, Gimp, etc?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, you have come to the right thread!  Here is the place for the nongraphically inclined to get a fab avatar, and the hobbyist (and professional! Smiley) designers to pick up a new project to play with.

Those wanting avatars: Request here and one of our resident experts can help you out.*  Please Note: You must be a "Full Member" to use custom avatars.  If you're not a Full Member yet, we can still help you with a custom sig image.

Designers: Feel free to jump in and help anyone.

* As of this moment there are only a few of us, so if we get a pile of requests there might be a backlog.  Wink  However, our turnaround time has been quite good so far.

(Edited x3 to update subject, last line, and Full Member info.)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 10:48:46 am by Beachglass » Logged

"the further we go and older we grow the more we know the less we show"

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 03, 2007, 01:26:15 pm »

b) have no idea what to do for your avatar, but still want a shiny picture?

I'm not the best with editing graphics, but I can find a lot of good pictures that are listed under free use that can be used for avatars. Cheesy

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 03, 2007, 01:35:43 pm »

I absolutely love making avatars and signatures, and I have a rather large list of resources for free images. I use a few programs, Mojo (landscape rendering), Apophysis (fractal images) and Pixia (general freebie photo and image manipulation software).

If you would like a custom image to use here or elsewhere (web site banners?) I would love to help you out. Smiley

Beachglass
Master Member

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 03, 2007, 01:38:39 pm »

Here are some examples from me.  I use Paint Shop Pro, and usually work from photos:

Just resized.

Added colors.

Colorized.

The middle one uses clipart from a website I lost track of a long time ago.  They had piles of great designs. Cry

Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: March 03, 2007, 03:07:31 pm »

I can build/resize or redo avatars - but I tend towards  simple designs. Im a better than average - not a van gouh of pixels.

<----samlple

Thesaly
Journeyman
Last Login:May 13, 2008, 06:10:33 pm

Religion: Ecclectic Wiccan (for now)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 03, 2007, 04:34:50 pm »

I'm great with Photoshop, so if you've got a photo that needs to be tweaked I can definitely do that.  Other graphics stuff I understand conceptually, but haven't had a lot of practice with. 

Remember that there are all sorts of cool things that can be done with text and text effects, so you don't necessarily need an image to get an interesting sig or avatar. 

I have some nice Dover Clip-Art, and their stuff is copyright-free as long as you are not trying to repackage and resell the entire collection.  I can offer to size/tweak them for use in avatars.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: March 03, 2007, 09:21:16 pm »

Here is the place for the nongraphically inclined to get a fab avatar, and the hobbyist (and professional! Smiley) designers to pick up a new project to play with.

Well, since you offered...

If you were following the test thread, you saw that Juni created this wonderful avatar for me earlier today.  Actually, she was responding to my attempt in a thread on the old board to describe a jewelry design I'd love to have.  What she came up with was pretty much exactly what I had in my mind.

Then, in the test thread, Juni tried valiantly to explain to me how to add color to the line drawing she'd done.  Well, I tried...and I did get some color into it...but apparently, I fall squarely into the category of "nongraphically inclined."

So, I want to be the first to take you amazing designer types up on your offer.   Kiss

I LOVE this avatar.  I want to make it a tattoo.   Cool

Can there be color?  In my head, the cross is forest green.  Maybe the circle is royal purple?  Or maybe there are flames inside the circle, sort of coming from behind the cross?  Or maybe not.  I'm so graphically challenged, I honestly have no idea what would look good.

Anyway, if anyone wants to give it a try, I'd be grateful.  I'd offer chocolate as payment, but I don't think I can post a truffle on the board... Wink

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 03, 2007, 10:51:39 pm »

Well, since you offered...

If you were following the test thread, you saw that Juni created this wonderful avatar for me earlier today.  Actually, she was responding to my attempt in a thread on the old board to describe a jewelry design I'd love to have.  What she came up with was pretty much exactly what I had in my mind.

Then, in the test thread, Juni tried valiantly to explain to me how to add color to the line drawing she'd done.  Well, I tried...and I did get some color into it...but apparently, I fall squarely into the category of "nongraphically inclined."

So, I want to be the first to take you amazing designer types up on your offer.   Kiss

I LOVE this avatar.  I want to make it a tattoo.   Cool

Can there be color?  In my head, the cross is forest green.  Maybe the circle is royal purple?  Or maybe there are flames inside the circle, sort of coming from behind the cross?  Or maybe not.  I'm so graphically challenged, I honestly have no idea what would look good.

Anyway, if anyone wants to give it a try, I'd be grateful.  I'd offer chocolate as payment, but I don't think I can post a truffle on the board... Wink

I am working on it right now. I had a very cool idea for that one, but I thought you wanted to color it yourself. Let me see what I can do. Smiley

Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 03, 2007, 11:13:34 pm »

To Moonivy:

I started playing around with making the cross look silver, and I made a flameish purple background. I didn't have the heart to color the cross green once I saw the effect, but I made two different versions, one in a black square, one in green.

Unfortunately, I messed up saving it and it made the image sort of poor quality, but in such a small size I actually think it might have been an improvement. Let me know what you think.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: March 04, 2007, 12:07:05 am »

I started playing around with making the cross look silver, and I made a flameish purple background. I didn't have the heart to color the cross green once I saw the effect, but I made two different versions, one in a black square, one in green.

The silver is really cool.  And I especially like the one on the green background.  But I think the flameish part sort of obscures the triskele.  Maybe keep the colors but lose the flame thingies?

Dania, thanks!!!

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Beachglass
Master Member

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 04, 2007, 12:12:18 am »

But I think the flameish part sort of obscures the triskele.  Maybe keep the colors but lose the flame thingies?

What about a solid shape behind the triskele, for contrast?  (I really like the flames Cheesy)

Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: March 04, 2007, 02:01:29 am »

To Moonivy:

Just a thought - Can you rebuild the tri in the center? Its broken into 3 fuzzy parts (linked img I've just overlaid the origional tri - It needs recoloring, and a more careful job of the rebuild doing - I dont know how you re-colored it and Im litteraly just waking up )

(not trying to be bossy im just really bad at subtlety)

Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 04, 2007, 11:04:08 am »

The silver is really cool.  And I especially like the one on the green background.  But I think the flameish part sort of obscures the triskele.  Maybe keep the colors but lose the flame thingies?

Dania, thanks!!!

I'll try, the thing is, silly me didn't save the original layered file or even a high res version! (which is why it didn't save properly, I lowered the res to meet size requirements.) I don't know if I can fix it now without completely re-doing it. I really didn't notice that the triskele was obscured when I looked at it, but then it was late at night and also it might have something to do with your computer screen too.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: March 04, 2007, 11:57:18 am »

I'll try, the thing is, silly me didn't save the original layered file or even a high res version! (which is why it didn't save properly, I lowered the res to meet size requirements.) I don't know if I can fix it now without completely re-doing it. I really didn't notice that the triskele was obscured when I looked at it, but then it was late at night and also it might have something to do with your computer screen too.

No worries.  I don't want anyone to go to a lot of trouble!  I appreciate the work you did on it. Kiss

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: March 04, 2007, 11:59:15 am »

Just a thought - Can you rebuild the tri in the center? Its broken into 3 fuzzy parts (linked img I've just overlaid the origional tri - It needs recoloring, and a more careful job of the rebuild doing - I dont know how you re-colored it and Im litteraly just waking up )

(not trying to be bossy im just really bad at subtlety)

Did you just change the color of the tiskele?  It stands out better in this version, but I'm not sure why.

I kinda like it. Cheesy  What do all you designer types think?

ETA:  Poor Juni!  She's created a monster! Grin

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)