The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 28, 2020, 12:12:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2020, 12:12:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Just for fun: embarrassing ritual moments  (Read 5403 times)
Ghost Queen
Journeyman
Last Login:April 11, 2010, 08:10:46 pm
Ecuador Ecuador

Religion: Ecclectic Polytheistic Pagan

At the Edge of Enigma, the Gatekeeper waits...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 23, 2009, 09:59:26 pm »

So has anyone ever had any embarrassing and/or not-so-great ritual moments, or had a ritual where something just went horribly wrong (you set something on fire, got sick at an inopportune time, etc.)

I haven't been practicing long enough for anything too unusual to have happened to me, but this year I had an allergic reaction to my hair cream just before Beltane, and so I had to take medications that ended up making me feel really drowsy.  I did the ritual hyped up on my meds and don't really remember much of it, other than that I was so tired I could barely concentrate.  And then there was that time in the sweat lodge when it was my first time as ceremony leader and I put waaay too much water on the rocks and some of my fellow attendees barely made it through the ceremony...

I'm sure someone out there has a much more embarrassing ritual moment than that!

The meaning of life is to give life meaning
Go too fast, move too slow
Restore the balance between thinking and feeling
Open up and let it flow

-Ayreon 01011001

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RhiannaRaven
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 19, 2010, 01:55:20 pm
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 24, 2009, 03:47:05 pm »

we always have a fun time during ritual with laughing at stuff (it raises great energy) But boy you should have felt the energy in the room after I almost stabbed my High Priest with my Athame LMFAO!  we were rolling on the ground practically from laughing so hard.

So the HP thought he'd be funny and buy me a plastic knife LOL
Ghost Queen
Journeyman
Ecuador Ecuador

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 24, 2009, 05:36:33 pm »

we always have a fun time during ritual with laughing at stuff (it raises great energy) But boy you should have felt the energy in the room after I almost stabbed my High Priest with my Athame LMFAO!  we were rolling on the ground practically from laughing so hard.

So the HP thought he'd be funny and buy me a plastic knife LOL

Grin

Open up and let it flow

-Ayreon 01011001
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 25, 2009, 08:21:23 pm »

So has anyone ever had any embarrassing and/or not-so-great ritual moments, or had a ritual where something just went horribly wrong (you set something on fire, got sick at an inopportune time, etc.)

So far the worst thing I've done was set down on a folding chair that was on my toes. Hurt like hell, bruised my toes but didn't break them. But as far as a ritual going horribly wrong, I must tell the tale sometimes of the over-complicated theatrical Beltane ritual my coven attempted to put on that just resoundingly didn't work. Starting with the pouring down rain when we'd planned to do ritual outdoors. =P

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 25, 2009, 10:11:48 pm »

I haven't been practicing long enough for anything too unusual to have happened to me, but this year I had an allergic reaction to my hair cream just before Beltane, and so I had to take medications that ended up making me feel really drowsy.  I did the ritual hyped up on my meds and don't really remember much of it, other than that I was so tired I could barely concentrate.  And then there was that time in the sweat lodge when it was my first time as ceremony leader and I put waaay too much water on the rocks and some of my fellow attendees barely made it through the ceremony...

I'm sure someone out there has a much more embarrassing ritual moment than that!

Reciting charge of the Goddess at a full moon ritual: 

"Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humidity..."
Stitchii
Apprentice
Last Login:November 02, 2009, 03:41:46 pm
El Salvador El Salvador

Religion: Pagan

My Essence On the World

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 27, 2009, 01:52:04 am »

I am the type of person that always has embarrassing moments. Even, when in the dead of silence. So, I have PLENTY of these stories HAHA!

My mother never knew I was pagan, so I would sneak out, wait for her work schedule to change to graveyard again, or ditch school and do it elsewhere. So, this one time, it was esbat, and I picked up my friend. It was her first esbat. My mom was working 12am to 8am. I had made up a ritual. First we would praise the moon, draw down the moon, release the energy, offer food and have a little feast for ourselves, dance a bit, discuss our experiences, do spells or whatever, and so on. Well, we did all this on my ROOF. Of course there were a LOT of incidents.

We had only one candle, and I had a chant written on paper, we could barely see it and couldnt help smacking our foreheads for thinking of something better. My friend was terribly afraid of heights, so drawing down the moon was shaky. When we thanked the goddess or the moon for listening, we released the energy and I burped. The feast was just fruits and sangria. There was too much food so we tried to dance off the bloating. When we danced around our little candle, my friend yelled that the clouds were forming a pentacle around the full moon, and then a six pointed star, seven, and last a nine pointed star. Truly magical, so we danced harder, laughed harder, and accidently spilled the drinks. All we talked about was the mistakes we made. We then got ready for the spells we made. My friend wanted to do one first, but hers was just a chant and a dance with the athame. She was terribly shy, but did it anyways. Mine was for seeking answers, so I burned a spell I had written on paper, scattered the ashes to the wind, and the ashes fell into our faces. It was not my first esbat, but I hope my friend didn't think it would be like that everytime HAHA  Embarrassed

littlebird
Apprentice
Last Login:February 14, 2011, 02:04:02 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 27, 2009, 11:18:14 pm »

The ritual went well, but the planning for our group's Midsummer ritual was pretty funny. It started with the planning leader relating his dream of us all passing through fire and being purified, as well as having all of our body hair and clothing burnt off.  Cheesy We cracked a lot of jokes about that. We went on to work with the general idea of purification, and the rough idea was to pass between two fires and then go down into the river and wash off all of the sweat. The planning leader, who was raised Methodist, was talking about a romantic vision of coming out of the water and being draped in clean white linen. But we all heard it as "coming out of the water and being draped in clean white WOMEN". That was the end of that planning meeting, as nobody could keep it serious after that.

My boyfriend and I ended up being in charge of the purification fires and helping everyone in and out of the water. We managed not to burn anyone's hair or clothing off, or drape them in any women.

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 28, 2009, 02:43:57 am »

Way back when I was first looking into paganism (Wicca, specifically) there was a little incident involving ritual nudity that...well, crap...let's just say it didn't work out (rather spectacularly, even).

Brina
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 29, 2009, 02:06:34 am »

I was at a Sabbat one time with a Wicca class I was involved in... and we had to wear long white robes to all our rituals, many of which involved a bonfire in the center of the ring. Our Summoner got too close to it and we all found out what he didn't wear under his robes... after we were done rolling him around in the dirt for awhile, anyway.

I always observed the requisite fasting before the Sabbats, and we'd usually be at the camp site late the night before setting it up, and up at daybreak for the festivities, and the rituals were always held at 9pm PST (Pagan Standard Time, which is when everyone finally shows up & the High Priestess feels like it)... so by that time I'd be unfed for about 32 hours, sleep deprived, either sunburnt & fighting off sunstroke & dehydration or hypothermia & dehydration (yeah, let me tell ya 'bout some of my ASCs... but that's for another thread, lol).  So anyway, during one Sabbat the ritual starts, we got all the preliminaries out of the way, we did our little dance around the bonfire for about a half hour, released the energy & sat down for the rest of the ritual.

I was sitting there just trying to breathe & I thought someone had put a big gray woolly bag over my head. Next thing I know someone's popped open an ammonia capsule under my nose, they've got an oxygen mask and a nitro pill under my tongue. I had completely fainted. They said at first they thought I had a taste of possession because I stood up, my eyes rolled back in my head - and then I just fell over. They had to break the circle, pull me out of it, someone had the foresight to bring an EMT kit with them - and after that Sabbat I was probably the only one not allowed to fast more than 4 hours before ritual time. I was pretty mortified.

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 14, 2009, 06:13:44 am »

I remember one of my first rituals with my old coven. We had set up, drawn the circle, called quarters etc. The High Priestess had put the pyrophobe (me) in the South, summoning through fire (like you do) with a very large candle, which in my opinion had a wick that was far to long, and I did mention this to her at the time. She was not one to be contradicted and how dare I comment on what I obviously had no idea about? She changed her tune pretty fast when the High Priest got a little too close to me whilst I was heaving a huge sigh of frustration and set his beautiful waist length hair on fire! He was obviously wearing too much hairspray or gel, because it went up like a Roman Candle! I was not allowed to call South ever again, which suited me just fine, but I did take my High Priest to my hairdressers and paid for the new haircut....

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: September 21, 2009, 06:27:18 pm »

i haven't had any embarrassing moments but funny ones? oh yeah  Cheesy

let's see.... there was that one time where we (me and my two friends- i'm the planner, S is the energy watcher/place to do it, O is just beginning) decided to celebrate the spring equinox and do a little spell for protection with the awakening fairies. needless to say, one gardener, one snort of pepper, and a lesson on how to seal a paper packet with wax later, we were more than ready to collapse on the ground with laughter. thank god we didn't set a cat on fire XD

then there was the beltane rite where we gave the fairies wine and ended up rolling on the grass and laughing our butts off for no reason for a few hours.... and the time when we bound the bad relationship O had and found out that that particular brand of yarn smells like toasting marshmellows when you burn it.... oh, and the time that i realized that the tip of my knife was going to stay black no matter what i did because i had held it in the fire too long....

Grin its hard to take yourself too seriously when things keep reminding you that you're human.

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here
MidSummer RagDolly
Apprentice
Last Login:June 29, 2011, 11:27:44 pm

Religion: Eclectic Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: September 22, 2009, 04:18:00 pm »

I set my fingernail on fire while lighting a candle during a Mabon ritual and almost took out the altar in pain. Thankfully the only ones to see me were the Lord and Lady  Smiley

Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle, love is a war, love is a growing up. -James Baldwin

Forever and a day <3

Blog:
http://midsummerragdolly.wordpress.com/
DezzyCat
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 01, 2009, 03:09:16 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: October 29, 2009, 09:02:53 pm »

I've had a few, but I tend to work by myself so at least it's between me and the Powers that Be  Tongue I did however get a facefull wax when extinguishing a candle at the end of a Yule rite... it was on a windowsill, and as I leaned towards it a gust of wind blew in and scattered the wax right into my eyes...ow! Thankfully, I had my glasses on, but it wasn't too pleasant. And then my ex-flatmate came in to find out what on earth I was doing. Groan.

~~Dezzy~~
Bronwyn29
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 22, 2010, 05:18:57 pm

Religion: Wiccan

Everyone knows that bunnies dont lay eggs

Blog entries (0)

Teri Tate

Ignore
« Reply #13: October 30, 2009, 04:31:21 pm »

I have some not so great moments--I have horrible luck with fire! After moving to florida from korea I was 6 mos pregnant and my husband was still in korea. We just but a house and I wanted to do a protection spell on it before the furniture was mvoed in. During the spell, my cone incense ran out, I had to run back in the kitchen and light another one, and in my haste, burned my finger and dropped the incense holder and added a few "curse" words into the spell.  Angry

I have also burned myself while re-lighting candles during spells when they mysteriously burnout.

I should really stay away from fire, it does not agree with me at all.
Ghost Queen
Journeyman
Ecuador Ecuador

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: November 02, 2009, 08:07:42 pm »

I have some not so great moments--I have horrible luck with fire! After moving to florida from korea I was 6 mos pregnant and my husband was still in korea. We just but a house and I wanted to do a protection spell on it before the furniture was mvoed in. During the spell, my cone incense ran out, I had to run back in the kitchen and light another one, and in my haste, burned my finger and dropped the incense holder and added a few "curse" words into the spell.  Angry

I have also burned myself while re-lighting candles during spells when they mysteriously burnout.

I should really stay away from fire, it does not agree with me at all.

Maybe you just weren't in your element!  Tongue

I nearly gave myself a steam burn last time I lead the sweat lodge in my commune.  But thankfully, it was dark so no one noticed.

Open up and let it flow

-Ayreon 01011001

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)