The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 04, 2020, 05:14:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2020, 05:14:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Is this book on Hoodoo any good?  (Read 2149 times)
unbendingwill
Journeyman
Last Login:September 12, 2010, 09:34:04 am
United States United States

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 26, 2009, 03:17:47 am »

I know Llewellyn publishing usually isn't that good but I'm hoping maybe I found a gem? Maybe?!?  The book is entitled, "Charms, Spells and Formulas,"  by Ray T. Malbrough.  Is this any good?  And do you have any better suggestions?  I cked out the luckymojo.com site a little bit, it was very interesting.  Might look into it a little further.  I got the book at a used book store, so at least I didn't pay full price for it!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: August 26, 2009, 08:12:29 am »

I know Llewellyn publishing usually isn't that good but I'm hoping maybe I found a gem? Maybe?!?  The book is entitled, "Charms, Spells and Formulas,"  by Ray T. Malbrough.  Is this any good? 

It's a "not bad" book on magick and formulas. The formulas are not that different from other sources I've seen listing them. As a source of info on Hoodoo itself, I don't know.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
unbendingwill
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 26, 2009, 08:58:14 am »

It's a "not bad" book on magick and formulas. The formulas are not that different from other sources I've seen listing them. As a source of info on Hoodoo itself, I don't know.
Thanks for the review.  But do you have any suggestions?  I wouldn't know the crap from the good stuff since I know practically nothing about hoodoo.  I can discern a good wiccan book from a bad one for my self but not a hoodoo book. Plus, I don't have the money to be going through the hit and miss ordeal of going through the good and bad books.  I looked through the side bar on this board for some book suggestions and found one but it was suggested that it wasn't that good, if you had any others that would be helpful.  Although, I did find some online books on Voodoo but I am not that interested in that. 
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: August 26, 2009, 10:12:34 am »

Thanks for the review.  But do you have any suggestions?  I wouldn't know the crap from the good stuff since I know practically nothing about hoodoo.

It's not something I'm expert in. Cat's luckymojo.com site is excellent and the course she offers is reportedly quite good.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
sanctuary
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2011, 11:23:23 am

Religion: Taoist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 26, 2009, 10:28:04 am »

I cked out the luckymojo.com site a little bit, it was very interesting.  Might look into it a little further. 

I've also heard some really good things about the course offered by Cat at luckymojo.com. I thought about signing up for it a while back but didn't have the funds at the time. There's some pretty extensive information on the site itself though if you look around a little bit... Grin

“Music in the soul can be heard by the universe.”  Lao Tzu
Go
Journeyman
Last Login:May 30, 2011, 10:32:23 pm

Religion: A Process

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 18, 2009, 11:28:01 pm »

I know Llewellyn publishing usually isn't that good but I'm hoping maybe I found a gem? Maybe?!?  The book is entitled, "Charms, Spells and Formulas,"  by Ray T. Malbrough.  Is this any good?  And do you have any better suggestions?  I cked out the luckymojo.com site a little bit, it was very interesting.  Might look into it a little further.  I got the book at a used book store, so at least I didn't pay full price for it!

I haven't read it.  But I can tell you right now that if you only buy one book on Hoodoo it ought to be "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" by catherine yronwode.  Anything else you need to know you can find out from the Lucky Mojo site.   

Measure twice, cut once, and buy extra material anyway.
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #6: September 18, 2009, 11:54:14 pm »

Technically, any magic using candles, 'mojo' bags, power objects, dressing oils & powders... could be considered 'hoodoo'. Hoodoo is basically American folk magic, syncretized from Native American traditional magic, Vodou, and Mexican/South American magic the further west you go, or European folk magic the further north you go. It's also got some Carib & Polynesian islandic folk magic in the mix.

Traditional Western African magic is sometimes called hoodoo, but it's more properly spelled as 'hudu' or 'hounban', and has more similarities to Yoruban Santeria or Dahomean Vodou (primarily ancestor veneration & a large body of healing work) than to what is considered hoodoo in America. 

As far as books go, it's a mixed bag. Most books about hoodoo will contain any number of spells or 'conjures', tips on making mojo bags or gris gris, charms, washes, powders, blending oils, etc. - but the best way to experience hoodoo is to just develop your own method and go with it. There aren't any strict laws or guidelines as to what constitutes hoodoo or who can practice it.

unbendingwill
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 19, 2009, 09:58:25 am »

Technically, any magic using candles, 'mojo' bags, power objects, dressing oils & powders... could be considered 'hoodoo'. Hoodoo is basically American folk magic, syncretized from Native American traditional magic, Vodou, and Mexican/South American magic the further west you go, or European folk magic the further north you go. It's also got some Carib & Polynesian islandic folk magic in the mix.

Traditional Western African magic is sometimes called hoodoo, but it's more properly spelled as 'hudu' or 'hounban', and has more similarities to Yoruban Santeria or Dahomean Vodou (primarily ancestor veneration & a large body of healing work) than to what is considered hoodoo in America. 

As far as books go, it's a mixed bag. Most books about hoodoo will contain any number of spells or 'conjures', tips on making mojo bags or gris gris, charms, washes, powders, blending oils, etc. - but the best way to experience hoodoo is to just develop your own method and go with it. There aren't any strict laws or guidelines as to what constitutes hoodoo or who can practice it.
Thanks for the reply! And to the others who have replied! I agree it is mostly about personalization, I have found a few sites on the net that have been most helpful in discovering this aspect.  But there are certain guidelines you should follow, like Florida water should have lemon juice in it and shit like that.
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #8: September 19, 2009, 01:18:28 pm »

But there are certain guidelines you should follow, like Florida water should have lemon juice in it and shit like that.

Heh, I'm not crafty. Both my local Smith's grocery store & Wal-Greens have a small patent remedy/botanica type section that carries Florida Water & Orange Blossom colognes for about $3 a bottle. 

catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:February 29, 2016, 11:06:03 pm
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: September 19, 2009, 06:08:53 pm »

I have the book, and took Cat's class.  She recommends the Malbrough book as a supplement, even if the kind of hoodoo she teaches isn't identical.  Malbrough's is much closer to New Orleans-style Voodoo than to general hoodoo, but it's all part of the same family of "syncretized African-European-Native American folk magic systems of North America." 

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)