The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 21, 2021, 03:57:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2021, 03:57:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Dionysus and tropical/exotic fruit?  (Read 2767 times)
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 27, 2009, 01:16:20 pm »

For quite a while now, not really sure exactly when or where the idea popped into my mind...I think it might have been wandering around the produce section at the local Wegman's (if you're anywhere near a Wegman's and have never been to one...Go. Now.) checking out the selection of exotic fruits that just aren't (or are almost never) sold in other grocery stores around here, it probably just occurred to me that exotic fruit and Dionysus just seem to go together. Feel free to skip to the last paragraph now, I didn't intend to get so babbly, but now that I've written it all out...

So last night, I was thinking about this as I stopped in a liquor store looking for something for an offering for him and Hermes. I was trying to find something that I could use to make offerings to both of them, as I am recently unemployed and trying to not spend too much money. This was a tiny liquor store and nothing on their sad little wine shelf was jumping out at me. Literally or figuratively. (Bad joke on my part. I literally have had a wine bottle fall off the shelf at me in the past when I was trying to figure out what to get for Dionysus.)

Then I noticed in the refrigerator, a little bottle of Hpnotiq, which is apparently a blend of vodka, cognac, and tropical fruit juices. I immediately thought of Hermes because this particular beverage is a rather eye-catching shade of light turquoise blue, and no thanks to Disney's Hercules, I associate the color blue with Hermes (for anyone who was lucky enough to have not seen it or saw it and doesn't remember, Hermes was blue in that movie. Yes, you can flog me now. ) I didn't know what the stuff was, so I checked out the label and saw tropical fruit.

It seemed like a good idea. There were no voices in my head kicking and screaming "NO!" So I grabbed it.

On my way home, I was thinking about this a little more, and then even more last night when I couldn't sleep and I started to wonder if there were any festivals in existence where exotic fruits were a major offering, or would be an ideal major offering? I was thinking maybe there were, maybe I had read something a while ago and forgotten about it, but I was talking to Trickster earlier today and as far as either of us can think, there aren't, and I was just making it up in my brains. I just keep envisioning a celebration with huge trays of heaps of exotic fruits

Thoughts Ideas? Sounds crazy?

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 19, 2021, 03:02:41 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: August 27, 2009, 11:11:39 pm »

(if you're anywhere near a Wegman's and have never been to one...Go. Now.)
I have been in one exactly once, last Oct when I visited JFP in Buffalo.  I will yearn for that supermarket for the rest of my life.

it probably just occurred to me that exotic fruit and Dionysus just seem to go together. Feel free to skip to the last paragraph now, I didn't intend to get so babbly, but now that I've written it all out...

<snip, or should I say skip>

On my way home, I was thinking about this a little more, and then even more last night when I couldn't sleep and I started to wonder if there were any festivals in existence where exotic fruits were a major offering, or would be an ideal major offering? I was thinking maybe there were, maybe I had read something a while ago and forgotten about it, but I was talking to Trickster earlier today and as far as either of us can think, there aren't, and I was just making it up in my brains. I just keep envisioning a celebration with huge trays of heaps of exotic fruits

Thoughts Ideas? Sounds crazy?
Given the much slower transportation speeds of the ancient world, and lack of preservation methods that didn't involve a change of state, there probably wouldn't be much in the way of exotic fruits (or not exotic as we understand the word), so I'd see this much more as modern UPG.  OTOH, it makes perfect sense, for both Dionysus and Hermes - I expect I'll make use of this myself, since I work with both to some extent.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: August 28, 2009, 12:11:01 pm »

Given the much slower transportation speeds of the ancient world, and lack of preservation methods that didn't involve a change of state, there probably wouldn't be much in the way of exotic fruits (or not exotic as we understand the word), so I'd see this much more as modern UPG.  OTOH, it makes perfect sense, for both Dionysus and Hermes - I expect I'll make use of this myself, since I work with both to some extent.

Using Sunflower's post as a jumping-off point, Hermes is the god of travel.  IIRC, Dionysus was associated with foreign places in antiquity (I have nothing to back that up except a vague memory of an article Sannion wrote).  So I think tropical exotic fruit would be appropriate for both, imo.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 28, 2009, 04:59:05 pm »

I have been in one exactly once, last Oct when I visited JFP in Buffalo.  I will yearn for that supermarket for the rest of my life.
Given the much slower transportation speeds of the ancient world, and lack of preservation methods that didn't involve a change of state, there probably wouldn't be much in the way of exotic fruits (or not exotic as we understand the word),

Oh yes. I was thinking if there was such a festival, it would be a modern invention. Either that, or there might exist an ancient festival for which exotic fruits might make an appropriate major offering in a modern observance.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 29, 2009, 01:51:36 am »

.. it probably just occurred to me that exotic fruit and Dionysus just seem to go together.

Well, to the Greeks, Dionysus was an exotic God. Of the top of my head, I know that in many parts of The Bacchae, Euripedes refers to Dionysus as a newly-arrived God:

He runs to the mountains of Phrygia, to the mountains of Lydia he runs. (Phrygia & Lydia were in Anatolia/Turkey)

Far behind Me lie those golden-rivered lands of Lydia & Phrygia where My journey began. Overland I went across the steppes of Persia where the sun strikes hotly down, through Bactrian fastness & grim wastes of Medea. Thence to rich Arabia I came; so all along Asia’s swarming littoral of towered cities where Greeks & foreign nations live, My progress made. (Bactria eventually became Afghanistan, Persia is either Iran or Iraq, & Media/Medea is also either in Iran or Iraq - I get the two mixed up)

Whoever this God may be, welcome Him to Thebes, sire. For He is great in many other ways as well. It was He, or so they say, Who gave to mortal man the lovely gift of wine by which suffering is stopped.

Considering Greece's easy access to the Mediterranean Sea, Egypt and all the trade routes in between, I think it would be entirely plausible that some exotic foods (as far as fruit, maybe it was preserved in alcohol or dried?) probably did make it to Greece.

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 29, 2009, 03:42:09 am »

Well, to the Greeks, Dionysus was an exotic God. Of the top of my head, I know that in many parts of The Bacchae, Euripedes refers to Dionysus as a newly-arrived God:

He runs to the mountains of Phrygia, to the mountains of Lydia he runs. (Phrygia & Lydia were in Anatolia/Turkey)

Far behind Me lie those golden-rivered lands of Lydia & Phrygia where My journey began. Overland I went across the steppes of Persia where the sun strikes hotly down, through Bactrian fastness & grim wastes of Medea. Thence to rich Arabia I came; so all along Asia’s swarming littoral of towered cities where Greeks & foreign nations live, My progress made. (Bactria eventually became Afghanistan, Persia is either Iran or Iraq, & Media/Medea is also either in Iran or Iraq - I get the two mixed up)

Whoever this God may be, welcome Him to Thebes, sire. For He is great in many other ways as well. It was He, or so they say, Who gave to mortal man the lovely gift of wine by which suffering is stopped.

Considering Greece's easy access to the Mediterranean Sea, Egypt and all the trade routes in between, I think it would be entirely plausible that some exotic foods (as far as fruit, maybe it was preserved in alcohol or dried?) probably did make it to Greece.

Well the hilarious thing about that is that Dionysos was older, much much much older. His name is found in Linear B script. And his birth is recorded to be in Thebes (well, mostly; not counting him being born in Zeus'  thigh or from Persephone). After that he was raised in Nysa by the nymphs there and in Phygria by Kybele-Rheia.

I think though I've already responded to your discussion on NA, Fiamma, but I'll repeat it here in any case:

I think its entirely apt for Dionysos and even Hermes to be related to exotic fruits. Dionysos was found in Egypt, I believe, before the conquering of Alexander the Great; He took to India and peacefully conquered them, and there are festivals in his honour relating to that. If you check out wildivine.org's calendar (I think its under devotional activities, but you might need to use the way back machine since I think they are having some hiccups) there are a couple of festivals there you could use, since he is quite related to vegetation and life, and exotic fruits seem to be a mix between them, I think. Smiley

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)