The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 26, 2021, 10:34:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 26, 2021, 10:34:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Brighid of the Forge  (Read 24851 times)
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am
United States United States

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 27, 2009, 07:18:32 pm »

There's a lot of talk on Brighid the Healer and Brighid the Poet, but not much on Brighid of the Forge.  What does Brighid do in this role?  What does the forge represent?  How would the forge be used in this case--literally, symbolically?  Does the Forge have any symbolic meaning?  What purpose does it serve?

Thanks.

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: August 27, 2009, 09:08:49 pm »

There's a lot of talk on Brighid the Healer and Brighid the Poet, but not much on Brighid of the Forge. 

I'm not sure exactly what kind of answers you're looking for.  But I'll jot down some thoughts and you can respond and that will help clarify the questions.

I think there are a lot of levels to the symbology of the forge. 

I think it's about craftsmanship -- the act and art of creating. 

I think it's about fire and the purification and "crucible-ness" that happens with fire.

I think it's about Brighid's role as a creator and as one who shapes events and people.

In combination with healing and poetry (I use "poetry" in this context as symbolic of learning and knowledge), I think smithcraft is about creating situations that foster personal growth and social justice.

I think there is also the very straightforward meaning of Brighid as patroness of those who make things.

Does any of that trigger thoughts for you?   Cheesy

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: August 27, 2009, 11:43:49 pm »

In combination with healing and poetry (I use "poetry" in this context as symbolic of learning and knowledge), I think smithcraft is about creating situations that foster personal growth and social justice.

In addition, I often think of smithcraft in a warlike context: the forging of weapons, the possibility of real danger and pain. Brigantia is more warlike than Brighid, I think, but I think she definitely has a readiness for battle that may be seen as a companion to her roles as a judge or healer. She can be a warrior.

Which ties in really nicely with the social justice bit: Brighid wouldn't make physical war on something she didn't believe needed to be fought.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 28, 2009, 02:19:22 am »

There's a lot of talk on Brighid the Healer and Brighid the Poet, but not much on Brighid of the Forge.  What does Brighid do in this role?  What does the forge represent?  How would the forge be used in this case--literally, symbolically?  Does the Forge have any symbolic meaning?  What purpose does it serve?

Thanks.

The forge is a place where one thing becomes another, greater thing.  It is a place of change, where that which is brittle and fragile becomes flexible and strong.  The forge is where impurity is burnt away and usefulness is hammered in.

It is not a delicate procedure.  It is hot, grueling, and when it is is finished, what was before is so changed as to be unrecognizable.  Raw material becomes a tool for getting the job done.

And once it is done, it can never be undone.

darashand
Adept Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 28, 2009, 11:30:22 am »

I'm not sure exactly what kind of answers you're looking for.  But I'll jot down some thoughts and you can respond and that will help clarify the questions.

Actually, I had no real "jumping off point".  Whenever I look for info on Brighid, I usually run into the other two ascpects, so I was looking for a little bit of information about this aspect.  Reading everyone's very helpful responses, I am grateful to discover a glimpse of the other side of Brighid that I am so unfamiliar with.  I usually see Her as a very benevolent Goddess who bestows gifts and looks after the poor, but for lack of better words, I suppose I was looking for a "tougher side" as seeing such goodness reminded me more or less of the Saint. 

So basically, the Forge is something that shapes and creates something, but can also change.  She can conform people to the image She would like or want?  I suppose a "long-reaching" answer could suggest that Brighid could be associated with fate as She bends and shapes events and people.  Fire is most definitely a cleansing tool--cleanliness being stressed by Brighid--lending itself also to Her other aspects of poetry (fire in the head) and healing (burning away impurities, bacteria, and sickness; also sterilization). 

Does any of that trigger thoughts for you?   Cheesy

Oh yes!  *goes off to mutter*

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Caelesti
Journeyman
Last Login:October 14, 2011, 05:20:57 pm

Religion: Celtic/Hellenic Polytheist, ADF, UU

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 28, 2009, 12:50:23 pm »

In addition, I often think of smithcraft in a warlike context: the forging of weapons, the possibility of real danger and pain.

Speaking of this have any of you seen the discussion on the Celtic Reconstructionist livejournal community, where they were talking about Brigid forging weapons for the Morrigan, and the general relationship between the two.

I think her smithing aspect gets discussed less simply because few of us in the modern era are smiths- though I know a couple people in ADF work with metal, my uncle does as well, as do many in medievalist groups. I relate this aspect to crafts in general, especially anything involving metal such as jewelry making.
I also see it as symbolic- the Goddess hammering and shaping you into a better person with life experiences, esp. difficult ones.
Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: August 28, 2009, 01:41:31 pm »

Speaking of this have any of you seen the discussion on the Celtic Reconstructionist livejournal community, where they were talking about Brigid forging weapons for the Morrigan, and the general relationship between the two.

I think her smithing aspect gets discussed less simply because few of us in the modern era are smiths- though I know a couple people in ADF work with metal, my uncle does as well, as do many in medievalist groups. I relate this aspect to crafts in general, especially anything involving metal such as jewelry making.
I also see it as symbolic- the Goddess hammering and shaping you into a better person with life experiences, esp. difficult ones.

I think I vaguely remember that conversation actually.

It's true though that we are pretty removed from smithing in the modern era: most of the forging I do is of the mental type. Writing itself can be a painful and difficult process, starting from a lump of an idea, and then refining.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: August 28, 2009, 08:28:23 pm »

She can conform people to the image She would like or want?

Purely my own experience and UPG:  I think She can and does hammer us (with experiences, ideas, etc.), but we do the actual changing ourselves.  So it's a collaborative process.

I suppose I was looking for a "tougher side"

You might want to think about Brighid Ambue.  There is only one source of info that I'm aware of, but basically She is mentioned in the law tracts as a law-giver/judge who aligns Herself with the ambue, or "cow-less ones".  Since wealth was measured in cattle, to be cow-less is to be quite disadvantaged, which makes Brighid Ambue basically a social justice advocate.  Pretty cool.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 01, 2009, 09:57:01 pm »

What does Brighid do in this role?  What does the forge represent?

I've always felt that blacksmiths were the engineers of medieval times. They could build just about anything out of metal and kept things running. Civil engineers, perhaps.

Maybe this engineer thing is just because I am one (aerospace, not civil)... but I see that forge energy driving today's creative problem solvers. In that respect, I see Brigit involved in science and technology as well as the arts. Science needs creativity and inspiration to give it direction and purpose.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: October 01, 2009, 10:23:58 pm »

I've always felt that blacksmiths were the engineers of medieval times. They could build just about anything out of metal and kept things running. Civil engineers, perhaps.

Maybe this engineer thing is just because I am one (aerospace, not civil)... but I see that forge energy driving today's creative problem solvers. In that respect, I see Brigit involved in science and technology as well as the arts. Science needs creativity and inspiration to give it direction and purpose.

How interesting! I hadn't thought of it really before, but I can certainly see this connecting to something said in another convo about Brighid: how she was a "fixer of things".

Scientists and engineers have to get to the heart of things, and want to understand how they work, not just to build thing, but to fix them as well. Blacksmiths spent most of their time fixing horseshoes, blades, etc. Being creative is also understanding how things work, and how they can be put together again.

Cannaid
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 22, 2013, 09:32:37 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Celtic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 16, 2010, 01:20:57 pm »

In addition, I often think of smithcraft in a warlike context: the forging of weapons, the possibility of real danger and pain. Brigantia is more warlike than Brighid, I think, but I think she definitely has a readiness for battle that may be seen as a companion to her roles as a judge or healer. She can be a warrior.

Which ties in really nicely with the social justice bit: Brighid wouldn't make physical war on something she didn't believe needed to be fought.

Sorry to drag up this older thread but the above statement really sings to me.

When I was introduced to Bride she was battling a Formorian.  Her warrior qualities were very, very evident. 

I suppose that personal perspective is influenced by what your definition of "warrior" is.  As an Abtaazihnkwe

In her actions of both creating weapons and choosing young men to enter into battle she shows herself (to me) as a warrior.  At the very least she "knows" war. When I think of her in this guise I am moved to think of balance.  Yes war is a necessary entity but kindness tempers the extreme.  She also represents kindness and generosity.  She provides the opportunity for me to both "go to war" and "to extend hands".  My teacher speaks of her as the goddess whom will take you from cradle to grave.

I respect her other aspects and often find myself inspired in those areas.  Most particularily in healing practices. 

The forge, to me is the underpinning of all healing work.  It is the transformational tool.   

Kindness first and in all things...
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #11: October 17, 2010, 06:46:00 am »

Fascinating thread. I've just kinda stumbled across Brighid of the Forge in a guided meditation which was supposed to be about protection.

In my UPG the forge is the center of housing and civilisation as we know it. It felt to me like Brighid helped us make a bond with metal as a material to build and protect our homes. A lot of important things are forged from metal: gates, (heavy) doors, scaffolding etc. We also need metal to plow and we need metal to forge weapons and shields for a more active protection of our homes.

For me it was very impressive to experience this fierce, strong and unbendable 'spirit' of metal which is guided and shaped by the fire of the forge. The forge is like the inner center which knows what to do, which kind of shape is needed, what needs to protected, where the center of our life lies... The forged metal is kind like the protective outer hull around the inner center. It protects the inner fire, but is also shaped by it.

I'm not sure if I'm making any sense, it's hard to put that into words. And I'm not fully sure why she showed me this. I don't work with metal although I've practiced martial arts with a sabres a few years ago. But the 'spirit' of this kinda resonated with me and I was also astonished to realize the bond between humans and metal. It should be obvious, but I never saw this on a spiritual level. I always thought of metal as something cold, kind of "unnatural" and alienating from spirituality, but now I think (in my UPG) it's very close to our core as (western civilized) humans.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #12: October 17, 2010, 06:55:39 am »

I forgot to mention that metal gives us also tools. A smith uses grippers to deal with the fire because he can't touch it with her/his bare hands.

darashand
Adept Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: October 18, 2010, 09:31:13 am »

For me it was very impressive to experience this fierce, strong and unbendable 'spirit' of metal which is guided and shaped by the fire of the forge. The forge is like the inner center which knows what to do, which kind of shape is needed, what needs to protected, where the center of our life lies... The forged metal is kind like the protective outer hull around the inner center. It protects the inner fire, but is also shaped by it.

I forgot to mention that metal gives us also tools. A smith uses grippers to deal with the fire because he can't touch it with her/his bare hands.

I think you are onto something here.  Keep working on your thoughts. Smiley

Thank you for this.

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #14: November 07, 2010, 09:44:03 am »

How would the forge be used in this case--literally, symbolically?  Does the Forge have any symbolic meaning?  What purpose does it serve?
This might be a bit off-topic, but I love the Star Trek Next Generation episode 'Birthright' where two characters discover something about their missed fathers. The androit Data get's an energy shock and has a vision with his creator as a blacksmith. Afterwards he tries to interpret the meaning of the blacksmith's hammer researching various cultures. It's a pretty cool episode with fascinating imagery. Wink

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)