The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 26, 2021, 11:17:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 26, 2021, 11:17:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Brighid of the Forge  (Read 24853 times)
erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am
United States United States

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #15: November 07, 2010, 11:31:38 am »

I had a minor lightbulb go off for me. Bridget of the stars is very similar to Bridget of the Forge, because a galaxy is the forge of creation. If you've ever seen a real forge going full blast, then looked at a galaxy, you should see what I mean. Dust, various particles, and who knows what else are pulled into the vortex and changed into stars. It seems to me that Bridget does something similar with people- she takes base people, raw potential, and forges them into purity (eventually. Sometimes we have to go back in a few times >.> ).

I'm not that close to her, so I see her as less of a smith and more of a forger. Goibnu (sp?) is definitely a smith; it just feels to me that Bridget isn't smithing- she makes us noble to our fullest potential but she also makes us make ourselves into what we must be. The image I get is her staring at a lump of gold and saying "Ok, all the dross is gone, now you get the hard part. What, you thought I was going to make you into a necklace? That's your job, buddy."

/wanders back out of thread as I ponder

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #16: November 07, 2010, 11:34:44 am »

I've been following along with the Brighid/star/creation bit, and it tugged at me but there was a piece missing, and I think this was it. Thanks for the lightbulb. Smiley

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: November 07, 2010, 03:11:34 pm »

I had a minor lightbulb go off for me. Bridget of the stars is very similar to Bridget of the Forge, because a galaxy is the forge of creation. If you've ever seen a real forge going full blast, then looked at a galaxy, you should see what I mean. Dust, various particles, and who knows what else are pulled into the vortex and changed into stars. It seems to me that Bridget does something similar with people- she takes base people, raw potential, and forges them into purity (eventually. Sometimes we have to go back in a few times >.> ).

I just got chills.  And they're not stopping.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #18: November 07, 2010, 04:57:12 pm »

As long as that's a good thing, I'm glad I could help Smiley

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #19: November 07, 2010, 05:17:45 pm »

Me too.

I've been feeling shoved very firmly in the direction of Ireland and Wales, and while most of my interest in deities has been Welsh (Rhiannon, Branwen, and Cerridwen) over the past few days (especially reading this thread) I've got a good, steady feeling that I need to look deeper.

I'm resonating really strongly with what everyone's saying, particularly all the astronomical symbolism. It's funny, but I'm feeling resistance to the name Brighid right now - I don't know if that means that I'm hitting another goddess who's really close to her, or if I need to look into one of the many local variations of Brighid's name, or if I need to examine my preconceived notions about Her.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: November 07, 2010, 05:23:40 pm »

This is probably way off topic, but I remember seeing somewhere in my studies about "Our Lady of the Stars," which is a Catholic name for Mary, but I wonder if there is some connection to Brighid.

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: November 07, 2010, 05:26:30 pm »

I'm resonating really strongly with what everyone's saying, particularly all the astronomical symbolism. It's funny, but I'm feeling resistance to the name Brighid right now - I don't know if that means that I'm hitting another goddess who's really close to her, or if I need to look into one of the many local variations of Brighid's name, or if I need to examine my preconceived notions about Her.

At the risk of being annoyingly redundant, since I've posted about this many times  Smiley , I just want to say that I'm 100% convinced that Brighid is just one of Her names.  

I strongly believe this same Being has been known by other names to other groups of people.  F'ex, I think Sulis might be one of Her names, as well as Brigindu. Also, possibly Danu, Anu, Dana, Ana, and maybe Aine.

Oddly enough, though, I don't think Brigantia is the same Being.

I'm trying to look into Sunna and Suale, but not finding a lot, unfortunately.  And I even think it's possible that She is also Vesta and Hestia.  Maybe Frigga.  Again, I haven't been able to research this part enough.  I'm almost sure about Sulis, but still looking into the others.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: November 07, 2010, 05:31:52 pm »

This is probably way off topic, but I remember seeing somewhere in my studies about "Our Lady of the Stars," which is a Catholic name for Mary, but I wonder if there is some connection to Brighid.

Well, Brighid is called "The Mary of the Gael"...

darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: November 07, 2010, 05:33:58 pm »

Well, Brighid is called "The Mary of the Gael"...

Yes, but I am wondering if there is a deeper connection, given the disscussion on Her connection to stars. Smiley

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: November 07, 2010, 05:38:26 pm »

Yes, but I am wondering if there is a deeper connection, given the disscussion on Her connection to stars. Smiley

Yeah, I know.  Smiley  I just tossed that out because I could get it out there quickly, and it's kinda foundational.

I'm actually looking through a virtual tour of a Catholic church at the moment, looking for a half-remembered memory that might help.  Smiley

Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: November 07, 2010, 05:44:23 pm »

At the risk of being annoyingly redundant, since I've posted about this many times  Smiley , I just want to say that I'm 100% convinced that Brighid is just one of Her names.  

Until about... three, maybe four days ago, I wasn't all that attentive towards information about Her, to be honest, so it's not redundant for me. Cheesy Also, it's great that you're so knowledgeable about all this. I have a source to pump for information, bwahah. (<3!)

I strongly believe this same Being has been known by other names to other groups of people.  F'ex, I think Sulis might be one of Her names, as well as Brigindu. Also, possibly Danu, Anu, Dana, Ana, and maybe Aine.

Danu, as in the mother of the Tuatha? Or just that Danu may have been another name of Brighid?

I'm trying to look into Sunna and Suale, but not finding a lot, unfortunately.  And I even think it's possible that She is also Vesta and Hestia.  Maybe Frigga.  Again, I haven't been able to research this part enough.  I'm almost sure about Sulis, but still looking into the others.

It's really strange that you're bringing this up right now. For awhile I've been... working with/thinking about a goddess who encompasses more than one personality, who's closer to The Goddess (TM) than I've ever been comfortable working with or thinking about. It's doubly strange for me since I've been a hard polytheist for so long, and yet this... being seems to want to crack that mold.

The best description I have for her so far is the Dark or Star Goddess. My Pagan group at college had our Samhain this past Friday night, and that's the deity I invoked. She's a rush of cold wind at night, the trail of stars overhead, the steady drip-drip of stalactites within a cave, the furious, transformative bubbling of a cauldron, the often painful but necessary purification by fire. She's... like a hoop, thrown around several other goddesses, but in a way that makes them more than the sum of their parts. Like she's not just Cerridwen-Brighid-Arianrhod-Persephone-Hekate-Freyja working together, she's this being born from all of them and more, only not exactly, not quite.

It frustrates the ever-living hell out of me that I can't seem to articulate myself any better than that. It's frustrating, but damn if it isn't intriguing.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: November 07, 2010, 05:53:41 pm »

Until about... three, maybe four days ago, I wasn't all that attentive towards information about Her, to be honest, so it's not redundant for me. Cheesy Also, it's great that you're so knowledgeable about all this. I have a source to pump for information, bwahah. (<3!)

Good.  I hate feeling like I'm boring everyone by repeating things I've said so often before.  But I also know that not everyone reads every thread or remembers every post.  So a certain amount of repetition is necessary.

And I'll share whatever I know.  Wink

Danu, as in the mother of the Tuatha? Or just that Danu may have been another name of Brighid?

Both.

It's really strange that you're bringing this up right now. For awhile I've been... working with/thinking about a goddess who encompasses more than one personality, who's closer to The Goddess (TM) than I've ever been comfortable working with or thinking about. It's doubly strange for me since I've been a hard polytheist for so long, and yet this... being seems to want to crack that mold.

I know what you mean.  I consider myself a hard polytheist, too.  But I really think at least some of the gods have many names.  That isn't the same things as all goddesses are one goddess.

This post from 2007 explains how I think about this idea.

The best description I have for her so far is the Dark or Star Goddess. My Pagan group at college had our Samhain this past Friday night, and that's the deity I invoked. She's a rush of cold wind at night, the trail of stars overhead, the steady drip-drip of stalactites within a cave, the furious, transformative bubbling of a cauldron, the often painful but necessary purification by fire. She's... like a hoop, thrown around several other goddesses, but in a way that makes them more than the sum of their parts. Like she's not just Cerridwen-Brighid-Arianrhod-Persephone-Hekate-Freyja working together, she's this being born from all of them and more, only not exactly, not quite.

Yes.  And more, too.  There's a point where our human brains can't seem to grasp any more.

It frustrates the ever-living hell out of me that I can't seem to articulate myself any better than that. It's frustrating, but damn if it isn't intriguing.

I feel you!  I've been trying to articulate some of this for a really long time.  It makes me wish I was a poet!  Cheesy

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: November 07, 2010, 06:25:07 pm »

Fuck. Yes. The exact same thing has been happening to me. And I'm rather terrified of ... finding out ... Who She Is.

You've articulated yourself way better than I've been able to, even to myself.

Fuck. Yes. I'm... but. Yes. Yes.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: November 07, 2010, 06:33:51 pm »

I know what you mean.  I consider myself a hard polytheist, too.  But I really think at least some of the gods have many names.  That isn't the same things as all goddesses are one goddess.

This post from 2007 explains how I think about this idea.

Thanks, I'll read. And you're right - I think I've been confined by how others define their deity/deities and my own bad experience with people who follow a/the Goddess, and that's made me stubbornly refuse to open myself to any experience that reminds of those folks' personal theology. I'm just now getting the picture that there's a third option. (And a fourth, and a fifth...)

I feel you!  I've been trying to articulate some of this for a really long time.  It makes me wish I was a poet!  Cheesy

I think that the more I try to articulate this - the more we all do - we'll get a better picture. And I think the final result will be more like a slideshow than one image.

Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: November 07, 2010, 06:38:10 pm »

Fuck. Yes. The exact same thing has been happening to me. And I'm rather terrified of ... finding out ... Who She Is.

ME TOO. I'm scared because faith has been such a touchy issue for me, and I'm scared that when it comes right down to it, I'll always be a little atheist/agnostic, that if I were ever able to get something I could believe in, I wouldn't know how to anymore.

You've articulated yourself way better than I've been able to, even to myself.

Fuck. Yes. I'm... but. Yes. Yes.

*hugs* Deeeeep breaths buddy. It sounds like a lot of us are having similar experiences, so you're not alone.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)