The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 26, 2021, 11:18:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 26, 2021, 11:18:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Brighid of the Forge  (Read 24854 times)
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #90: November 09, 2010, 12:54:01 pm »

I really haven't had much to say that hasn't been said by anyone else- there was a bit rolling around in my brain this morning, on Brighid/Danu, and a little more concretely on my idea of where you guys are at. I'll have to sit down and try to make it coherent. Smiley

Alright, I tried! We'll see if it makes any sense outside my head. Maybe it will be of some use.

I don't work with Danu anymore, but there was a time that I was trying to build a relationship, and I had a really hard time of it. I know some people see her as an earth mother sort, but to me she has always had her roots in the water; not the sea, but deep, deep water. Dark and still, the furthest depths of the well of knowledge, the primodrial water from which the (Irish) gods sprang. She felt vast and quiet and distant. The feeling I was left with was that she was too big, too ancient, to really interact with. She could not deal with humanity- we were too small and easy to break.

At any rate, I've been following along with the Brighid of the Stars phenomenon, and the connections between Brighid and Danu, as well as the idea that Brighid is only one of the Lady's selves, expressions, has been rolling around in my head. And the thought that has been forming is this: (bear with me- coherency levels appear to be dropping somewhat, but I am doing my best to stabilize them.)

In the beginning there was the Lady, right? Creatrix, forge, galaxies, etcetera. I see her as an inherent plurality- she is not one, she is many and one.

So then there were people. People are small and fragile, and can only see pieces, and so those pieces become her selves. They are not quite as many as the Lady, but they are still mutli-faceted. As they interact with people, they change, and become less many. They are all distinct, but some are more capable of being themselves and each other at once. Because they were all together the Lady, they can be the Lady again, but their interactions with humanity have changed them.

I feel like even after those multiple selves became individual, there was still a great part of the Lady that was too big, too powerful, to interact with people, and that with this recognition of Brighid of the Stars, you're getting a glimpse of her. You've pulled together enough of the pieces of her selves to see where they are one and many. And I feel like this Mystery that you're moving towards is that convergence point, where the Lady and the many Brighids and Sulis and whoever else can all be themselves and each other and one at the same time.

That was probably clear as concrete. Cheesy

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #91: November 09, 2010, 01:29:08 pm »

I'm going to be ruminating on what you've said for awhile. A few things stuck out, and I'll concentrate on those.

I don't work with Danu anymore, but there was a time that I was trying to build a relationship, and I had a really hard time of it. I know some people see her as an earth mother sort, but to me she has always had her roots in the water; not the sea, but deep, deep water. Dark and still, the furthest depths of the well of knowledge, the primodrial water from which the (Irish) gods sprang. She felt vast and quiet and distant. The feeling I was left with was that she was too big, too ancient, to really interact with. She could not deal with humanity- we were too small and easy to break.

Danu to me has been an Earth/Water Mother, a sort of liminal (amphibian?) goddess, of water that wells up from the land. She evokes a very specific feeling inside me that's different from any other Earth Mother I've worked with. She's very... quiet. The only way I hear her is by listening to the silence in between dripping water. I mentioned this when I first described my Star/Dark/Spiral goddess, but the earthy old wetness of caves, of hidden spaces inside the earth. Not a goddess of light, fire, or the sun (which is what's making it hard to make the connection between her and Brighid, but I'm getting some clues on how that could happen). A goddess of potential, and very slow transformation.

Also, someone mentioned earlier (in this thread or another) that there were some deities who were just older than others. This is the sense I get about Danu. That her realm is inhuman and isn't contingent upon our existence. Something old and deep and primordial. Maybe even the goddess of that exact chemical mixture required for life in that primordial soup.

In the beginning there was the Lady, right? Creatrix, forge, galaxies, etcetera. I see her as an inherent plurality- she is not one, she is many and one.

I like that. I'm having some struggle with the idea of there being on indivisible creative being... but that's not exactly what this is. There's a plurality within our Lady, you're right. The interplay of a lot of different forces, but they're all interrelated.

They are all distinct, but some are more capable of being themselves and each other at once. Because they were all together the Lady, they can be the Lady again, but their interactions with humanity have changed them.

Thank you for this last sentence. I need a spirituality where deity is shaped by us as much as we are shaped by deity.

I feel like even after those multiple selves became individual, there was still a great part of the Lady that was too big, too powerful, to interact with people, and that with this recognition of Brighid of the Stars, you're getting a glimpse of her. You've pulled together enough of the pieces of her selves to see where they are one and many. And I feel like this Mystery that you're moving towards is that convergence point, where the Lady and the many Brighids and Sulis and whoever else can all be themselves and each other and one at the same time.

Really clear and helpful, actually. I think that's a key part of the Mystery or Mysteries we're dealing with.

I have to keep telling myself that Mysteries don't need to always make rational sense. Sometimes, as much as I value my intelligence, I wish I could flip off the left side of my brain every once in a while. Sad

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #92: November 09, 2010, 01:31:02 pm »

That's just about exactly what I've been thinking, in between some interesting "heeeeey, that didn't sound like me...." things.

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #93: November 09, 2010, 01:40:05 pm »

Not a goddess of light, fire, or the sun (which is what's making it hard to make the connection between her and Brighid, but I'm getting some clues on how that could happen).

It's pretty well attested that the Dagda is the father of Brighid, at least in the Irish lore; I've heard here and there that some consider Danu to be Brighid's mother, and that always resonated with me.

The Dagda is the Red Fire of Knowledge; he is the fire of lust and appetite and storms. He is wild but not uncontrolled. Danu is the deep, silent water; she is the womb of the gods, and potentially existence. Brighid is both of these things. She holds the spark of life from her father, she nurtures and heals with the waters of her mother. Both fire and water are needed to create, and she is them both.

Just my two cents. Smiley

Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #94: November 09, 2010, 01:44:37 pm »

It's pretty well attested that the Dagda is the father of Brighid, at least in the Irish lore; I've heard here and there that some consider Danu to be Brighid's mother, and that always resonated with me.

I know next to nothing about the Dagda and actually have no UPG for him at all - not even a flicker when I think about his name, which is pretty rare for me and a deity - so I'll definitely need to look more into that. It's really strange for me to think of Brighid having parents, but then again I came to her through this whole Brighid of the Stars thing, not through traditional mythology. Smiley

The Dagda is the Red Fire of Knowledge; he is the fire of lust and appetite and storms. He is wild but not uncontrolled. Danu is the deep, silent water; she is the womb of the gods, and potentially existence. Brighid is both of these things. She holds the spark of life from her father, she nurtures and heals with the waters of her mother. Both fire and water are needed to create, and she is them both.

Just my two cents. Smiley

Those are some damn fine pennies you've offered up. Smiley

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #95: November 09, 2010, 01:48:56 pm »

It's really strange for me to think of Brighid having parents, but then again I came to her through this whole Brighid of the Stars thing, not through traditional mythology. Smiley

Well, Brighid, daughter of the Dagda and Danu, is not Brighid of the Stars. Brighid is one of the Lady's expressions- herself and the Lady at the same time- and maybe she didn't have parents before she interacted with humanity, but she does now. Smiley

I think when you don't have a body, the nature of self is much more fluid. Flesh has a way of mucking things up. Cheesy

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #96: November 09, 2010, 02:08:13 pm »

I'm not really involved in the Brighid of the Stars phenomenon that's swept through you folks the past few days- it all resonates, to be sure, but not as... powerfully, I guess? I have this innate feeling that this is not my way to her- this is not my Brighid. But that's not why I wanted to chime in. Smiley

This is where I feel as well. I decided to throw in my lot with Cailleach and a duality between her and Brighid (as the Bride <- imagine the fancy tick above the i), who may be one part of this Lady, just not the whole. I feel that right now I'm working with this very primal, earthy, wet/damp thing that brings the snow and storms, and is also Sovereignty. In fact where I feel right now is almost exactly described in this off-beat poem I wrote just before Samhuinn (nice link here!-NWS). There's an element of... purification? Re-forging? That I'm just not feeling, but I wonder if thats just because it's not the right time of year yet for me.

But, I'm still going to stick around and see where it goes. I'm starting to wonder again if the oracle I got didn't just mean gods, but a group of people. Like you guys.  Cheesy

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #97: November 09, 2010, 02:12:06 pm »

I think when you don't have a body, the nature of self is much more fluid. Flesh has a way of mucking things up. Cheesy

Just to let you and everyone else know, this entire adventure is the reason I'm behind on my novel and my homework. My productivity for everything non-Brighid related seems to have been shot for the past few days. All I want to do is sit around and talk about the nature of deity! Oy...

Anyway, I like thinking of 'self' as being fluid, especially for deities. That makes a lot of sense to me.

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #98: November 09, 2010, 02:24:12 pm »

Just to let you and everyone else know, this entire adventure is the reason I'm behind on my novel and my homework. My productivity for everything non-Brighid related seems to have been shot for the past few days. All I want to do is sit around and talk about the nature of deity! Oy...

If it helps, me too.
I have trouble falling asleep at night, because my brain wont stop thinking about all of this here.  Cheesy

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #99: November 09, 2010, 02:38:35 pm »

If it helps, me too.
I have trouble falling asleep at night, because my brain wont stop thinking about all of this here.  Cheesy

Nor mine. And I've got too many things in my head that won't let go:

Soul whispers to Heart,
"Dance with me."

Whirling, whirling through thunder and cloud,
Wind and sky; lightning grants an essential spark.
Ozone so thick it can be walked upon, crackling rock and brush alike.

Fingers lacing down, down into the Earth.
Find the Core, find the Heat.
Mold it into something unimaginable.
Fling it skyward.

Ocean calls as it falls, "I will catch you here."
Cooling wetness breaks the crust.
The center is opened, the way is clear.
We emerge, gasping for breath.

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #100: November 09, 2010, 02:48:40 pm »

Nor mine. And I've got too many things in my head that won't let go:

Soul whispers to Heart,
"Dance with me."

Whirling, whirling through thunder and cloud,
Wind and sky; lightning grants an essential spark.
Ozone so thick it can be walked upon, crackling rock and brush alike.

Fingers lacing down, down into the Earth.
Find the Core, find the Heat.
Mold it into something unimaginable.
Fling it skyward.

Ocean calls as it falls, "I will catch you here."
Cooling wetness breaks the crust.
The center is opened, the way is clear.
We emerge, gasping for breath.

*applauds*
I really like to collect all the poetry of the people that feel drawn to this... erm... project? and put it up in a blog or something like that. Access for the contributors only, if wished.
I should make an extra post for it - oh no, not another thread! Wink

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #101: November 09, 2010, 03:13:51 pm »

Please, please share! If not here, then somewhere!
Will do, but not until I've caught up on the rest of TC and done a few other things, since it could get long.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #102: November 09, 2010, 03:22:44 pm »

*applauds*
I really like to collect all the poetry of the people that feel drawn to this... erm... project? and put it up in a blog or something like that. Access for the contributors only, if wished.
I should make an extra post for it - oh no, not another thread! Wink

I suggested that a few pages back too. We definitely need some way to collect all this and organize it. (Wikispace? Blogger?)

SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #103: November 09, 2010, 03:30:29 pm »

I'm not really involved in the Brighid of the Stars phenomenon that's swept through you folks the past few days- it all resonates, to be sure, but not as... powerfully, I guess? I have this innate feeling that this is not my way to her- this is not my Brighid.
Exactly that, and I'm glad/relieved I'm not the only one.  I think you and I (and Rin, though she seems a bit closer to it) are in very much the same place for this - enough connection/resonance to have things to learn and things to offer, but not of it.

I didn't realize you and I had so much overlap in our personal pantheons - when I make my "deity individuation" post I'll include a footnote listing any I don't mention in the main body of it, so you can see it too.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #104: November 09, 2010, 03:38:02 pm »

I suggested that a few pages back too. We definitely need some way to collect all this and organize it. (Wikispace? Blogger?)

I thought about wordpress, they have a theme that can be used for shared blogging.
Why dont I set up a test-blog there and we can play a bit first to see if it works?

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)