The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 06, 2022, 06:21:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 06, 2022, 06:21:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Strange Things On Your Desk  (Read 13914 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Topic Start: August 28, 2009, 12:08:42 pm »

Over in the word disassociation thread, I mentioned I was running out of things on my desk to provide inspiration for my entries in the thread.  Shadow said she thought a thread on desk items would be scary, but I thought it would be sort of fun.

So.

What oddball things do you have on (or around) your desk/computer area/etc.?  Permanent items and things that are just sort of drifting through are equally fair game here.

I've got a "build your own Stonehenge" kit (still in its shrinkwrap), and a foam airplane (maybe 6" long) with rubber bands attached to be used to launch it (though I've never done so).  Also, a company ID badge for "Saint Dogbert", whose job title is "Patron Saint of Technology".  And a fortune from a fortune cookie that says, "Buy many dream boxes."

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: August 28, 2009, 12:12:58 pm »

Over in the word disassociation thread, I mentioned I was running out of things on my desk to provide inspiration for my entries in the thread.  Shadow said she thought a thread on desk items would be scary, but I thought it would be sort of fun.

So.

What oddball things do you have on (or around) your desk/computer area/etc.?  Permanent items and things that are just sort of drifting through are equally fair game here.

How much space we got here? Cheesy

I've got usual stuff - D&D books, misc papers, video game disks and manuals.  A hairbrush.  Nailpolish.  A candleholder with no candle, the Baby's Operating Manual, a stuffed flying pig and a frog.  A single 12" granny square, connected to nothing.  Embroidery floss made partially up into a garden for my husband's model railroad.  Beads.  perfume.  Thread.  A couple of legos I confiscated from swuggy so he wouldn't hurt himself.  Measuring tape.  A partially-knitted sweater sleeve.  Cough drops.  a baseball.  An old page-a-day calendar, from at least a year ago.  an old thing of crackers that I'd throw out but is out of reach.  A bag of colored pencils.  misc yarn on the floor around my desk.  misc knitting patterns FOR said yarn.

and chocolate in a drawer next to my computer for .. emergencies. Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
silvercrone
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 16, 2010, 08:28:04 am

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 28, 2009, 01:41:19 pm »

So.

A Native American raven fetish sits atop my pc, 5 notepads & 1 pen, a handful of rocks with sparkly inclusions that I found in a river in North Georgia, a picture of my big-eared Maine Coon cat when he was a bat-eared kitten, an ornate oil lamp (Corinthian 550 BC), a Chinese cookie tin (decorated with chrysanthemums) that contains matchbooks, a multi-level file box full of things I don't remember putting there, bear spray, and a bag of cat treats.  Also a phone and a desk lamp.
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 28, 2009, 04:42:19 pm »

I don't "decorate", so everything odd on my desk is there because it was a level spot to set said thing until I could find time to put it away.  I'm at work right now (work desk=very boring), but off the top of my head my home desk currently has the following weirdness:

• Spinning stuff, including a box 'o roving and a niddy-noddy
  • Beads from a bead swap box I unpacked yesterday
  • A weather box spell--sort of a sunny-day diorama that I open in hopes of improved weather (I keep it closed most of the time)
  • Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab vials (never know when I might need to get stinky)

Brina
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #4: August 28, 2009, 05:02:42 pm »

My desk is very small.  it has a fold-out and a pull-out that I can't put anything on except a keyboard and mouse because anything else would get swept off when I tucked it in to stand up.  On the small part of the top not taken up by my monitor I have a nail file, a speaker, a deck of tarot cards, and a tube of moisturizer.  On top of the monitor I have a dragon-head snuffer and some hair ties.  On the windowsill beside the desk I have (usually) an orange or a grey cat, and three cats worth of unattached fur.

Geez, the top of the microwave is more exciting than my desk.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: August 28, 2009, 05:05:41 pm »

Computer stuff and papers. Oh, and a little statue of "Computa" I got for Christmas one year.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 28, 2009, 07:27:12 pm »

A Lord of the Rings action figure, a Harry Potter figure, a crocheted Tiny Grim Reaper, a crotched Tiny Cthulhu, and a stuffed Spock bear.

Did I mention I am rather a geek?

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: August 28, 2009, 08:56:16 pm »

Rocks.  Lots of them.  A huge and very flashy piece of polished labradorite, a gorgeous piece of polished quartz, some geode pieces, some spheres (selenite, amethyst, lepidolite, agate), a couple of quartz points.

A tealight holder with a sunburst in the front (that the light shines through) with a battery-powered candle. 

A small goddess figurine.

Clock and paperweight from organizations I used to work for.

Family photo.

Candy dish full of chocolate.  Grin

HUUUUUUGE pile of stuff I need to read.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 28, 2009, 09:21:46 pm »

Hmm... the strangest things I have on my desk is a small flask of Chinese booze and a "Pee Pee" boy that is supposed to let you know when your water is the proper temperature for tea that the oldest brought home with her from her trip. I also have a Chinese dragon she got me, some chocolate raisins, candles, seashells, Game Mastery Item cards from Paizo Publishing (damn cool things for keeping track of your characters loot in DnD!), gum, a fuse tester, camera, exercise journal, and bills... both paid and unpaid.

That's the first layer of crap!  Roll Eyes

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 28, 2009, 11:12:37 pm »

I've got a "build your own Stonehenge" kit (still in its shrinkwrap), and a foam airplane (maybe 6" long) with rubber bands attached to be used to launch it (though I've never done so).  Also, a company ID badge for "Saint Dogbert", whose job title is "Patron Saint of Technology".  And a fortune from a fortune cookie that says, "Buy many dream boxes."

I also have a build your own Stonehenge kit from Barnes N Nobles, 5 quill pens, a plastic bowl filled with wax that I poured out of a candle, several wands, a Harry Potter electronic game, and some lab glasses that came from a kid chemistry set. And chocolate.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 29, 2009, 01:19:18 am »

I've got a bean-bag snake, a wee small glow-in-the-dark rubber snake, a plush Al Elric (from the anime series Full Metal Alchemist - I <3 Al), a statue of Medusa from the Toscano catalog, a drawer full of embroidery supplies, a book of erotic fantasy art that is not erotic enough for me & is probably going up on amazon.com soon, a box of Natural Low Fat Dog Treats, some sidewalk chalk... a backscratcher from the Hong Kong airport, a soft nylon cruelty-free dog muzzle (anyone who says that dogs love the PediPaws pet manicure system are lying, but it does prevent cutting your dog's nails too short, nicking the quick and ragged shredded edges - and any dog muzzle that promises to be easy to put on your dog is also lying) - and the offending PediPaws thingy itself. 

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #11: August 29, 2009, 07:23:13 am »

Geez, the top of the microwave is more exciting than my desk.

OK.  So what's on top of your microwave, then?  Grin  (Mine:  Teapot, two mugs, notepad/pens, corkscrew.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #12: August 29, 2009, 07:23:35 am »

I also have a build your own Stonehenge kit from Barnes N Nobles,

I cannot tell you how amused I am that I'm not the only one.  (Although I think mine came from ThinkGeek.)

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 29, 2009, 11:07:30 am »

A computer monitor for my desktop that I never turn on, my two routers, my TB external hard drive, a banker's lamp, two blank journals, the journal I'm currently writing in, a shopping list, a list of things I need to do today or PERISH, a roll of painter's tape, a copy of Flip Dictionary, a stack of papers with random notes on them pertaining to my writing and/or schoolwork, a glass herb bottle with ground sage in it, my old sketchbook, two wallets, tape, a tin full of safety pins, a make-up compact, random assorted wires and such, an empty jar glass with the remnants of orange juice in it (from this morning, I swear Cheesy), enough pens to start an apocalypse, and a glass plate with a frosted dragon carving on the bottom.  Oh, and my laptop that keeps asking me if I want to restart. If I wanted to restart, Hal, I'd restart, wouldn't I?

I'm losing my touch; usually I'd have 10x the items I listed, and more random too.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: August 29, 2009, 11:08:41 am »

enough pens to start an apocalypse

*blinks*

*blinkyblinks*

exactly how many pens DOES it take to start an apocalypse, anyway?  and what would it look like?  Ink-covered?

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)