The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 06, 2022, 07:12:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 06, 2022, 07:12:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Strange Things On Your Desk  (Read 13915 times)
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #15: August 29, 2009, 11:15:18 am »

OK.  So what's on top of your microwave, then?  Grin  (Mine:  Teapot, two mugs, notepad/pens, corkscrew.)

A cordless drill, a money tree, two boxes of cereal, and a feather off my spirit catcher that needs mending because I can't legally (or aesthetically) replace it.  And it's not even a big microwave, it's a little one I got in 1983, sized for a student apartment.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #16: August 29, 2009, 11:26:24 am »

A Lord of the Rings action figure, a Harry Potter figure, a crocheted Tiny Grim Reaper, a crotched Tiny Cthulhu, and a stuffed Spock bear.

Did I mention I am rather a geek?

I am entirely covetous of the spock bear, and little crochet Cthulu really makes me swoon. I am having fun imagining all of you at your geeky, messy or very boring (yes, I'm looking at you, Randall) desks.
I have a peace lily that is about to keel over, in that dramatic "I'm dyyyyyyying..." way they like to do...Durga altar on the south-facing shelf, Kuan Yin on the east facing shelf. Many pix of my kids.The Siva Puja handbook. a lot of blank CDs. Balinese flying baby angel xmas ornament....playmobil bbq dad...lots of SF Giants effluvia belonging to dh.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #17: August 29, 2009, 11:28:08 am »

A cordless drill, a money tree, two boxes of cereal, and a feather off my spirit catcher that needs mending because I can't legally (or aesthetically) replace it.  And it's not even a big microwave, it's a little one I got in 1983, sized for a student apartment.

Absent

Aren't those things amazing? Why don't they break? I had one that I finally sold in a garage sale when we moved. My micro now is a built in, so it's not an available space.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Inca
Master Member
Last Login:December 31, 2011, 11:49:06 am
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: August 29, 2009, 12:39:48 pm »

What oddball things do you have on (or around) your desk/computer area/etc.?

My home desktop is fairly straightforward (though 2 keyboards, two mouses, and a full laptop alongside it might be overkill), but at work it accumulates things made of velcro or with elastical / rubber parts in it. I go over to a collegue to ask a question, pick up something more or less useless to play with, take it (involuntary) with me to my desk, and find my desk cluttered with all kinds of useless junk. Every so often I go around and resort the items (and perhaps throw away some of them). With pens it's the same, although they keep drifting off my desk more than to it.
FunkyDemon
Journeyman
Last Login:July 08, 2011, 11:00:11 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Heathen
TCN ID: FunkyDemon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: August 29, 2009, 01:14:36 pm »

What oddball things do you have on (or around) your desk/computer area/etc.?  Permanent items and things that are just sort of drifting through are equally fair game here.

A set of sword letter openers,  a set of mini asian polearms, and enough empty coffee cups to not be able to find the desk.
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #20: August 29, 2009, 01:52:53 pm »

enough pens to start an apocalypse...

Can I have some of your pens? My husband keeps stealing mine. I don't know what he does with them either, since any time he wants to write something down he asks me, "Can you write something down for me?"

Hmmm... maybe he is planning the Pen Apocalypse as well...

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: August 29, 2009, 05:25:45 pm »

OK.  So what's on top of your microwave, then?  Grin  (Mine:  Teapot, two mugs, notepad/pens, corkscrew.)

Dust.   Embarrassed

(Time to start nagging the daughters to clean the kitchen again...)

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #22: August 29, 2009, 05:49:25 pm »

*blinks*

*blinkyblinks*

exactly how many pens DOES it take to start an apocalypse, anyway?  and what would it look like?  Ink-covered?

Cheesy

A LOT of pens. Epic proportions here. But it won't be ink covered, because most of them are dry. (Either I buy bad pens or I write too much, 'cause they always stop working. Arg. My queendom for a pen that will work for more than a week!)

It will be a dry, plasticky, sharp stabby apocalypse....Grin

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Morag
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: August 29, 2009, 05:53:02 pm »

Can I have some of your pens? My husband keeps stealing mine. I don't know what he does with them either, since any time he wants to write something down he asks me, "Can you write something down for me?"

Hmmm... maybe he is planning the Pen Apocalypse as well...

All in accordance with the Pen Prophecy! You have found out the secret of your husband's pen kleptomania; the time is soon...there is no stopping the Pen Apocalypse...*laughs evilly*

Wink

And I would so lend you some pens, except more than half of them are dry/stingy with the ink. Also my mother keeps stealing them -- I'll find desk drawers full of MY PENS! As if she writes with Gelly Rolls, I mean really. She only likes those calligraphy things. Roll Eyes

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
Morag
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: August 29, 2009, 05:55:00 pm »

I'm losing my touch; usually I'd have 10x the items I listed, and more random too.

Now we're getting back to normal -- add scissors, a spool of thread, a phone, and a jacket. (Maybe not so random, as I am working on the jacket as part of my Dragon Con costume, but at least it's more cluttered now! Grin)

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: August 29, 2009, 06:53:21 pm »

Cheesy

A LOT of pens. Epic proportions here. But it won't be ink covered, because most of them are dry. (Either I buy bad pens or I write too much, 'cause they always stop working. Arg. My queendom for a pen that will work for more than a week!)

It will be a dry, plasticky, sharp stabby apocalypse....Grin

I've had really good luck with Pilot V-ball pens.  Generous ink, good smooth writing - I've run 'em dry, but it's taken some effort.

... write too much?  whazzat? Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #26: August 30, 2009, 12:12:00 am »

I've had really good luck with Pilot V-ball pens.  Generous ink, good smooth writing - I've run 'em dry, but it's taken some effort.

... write too much?  whazzat? Cheesy

yep, my fave for many years now.They last for months. Their only bad thing is that when they die they tend to die of leaking. Ick.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 27, 2022, 03:01:18 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: August 30, 2009, 09:00:21 am »

I cannot tell you how amused I am that I'm not the only one.  (Although I think mine came from ThinkGeek.)
<open browser tab, surf to ThinkGeek, find geektoy, covetcovetcovet>

My desk is rather prosaic:  things to write with, things to write on, 'puter with peripherals and cableghetti, coffee cup and cup-warming plate.  Probably the strangest thing is the tiered cube containing Amiga-formatted 3-1/2" floppy disks, because there really isn't a place to put them that's more "away" than where they are now (yes, we still have working Amigas to run 'em on).

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: August 30, 2009, 06:13:04 pm »

What oddball things do you have on (or around) your desk/computer area/etc.?  Permanent items and things that are just sort of drifting through are equally fair game here.
My desk at work is pretty tame... I'm a neat freak at work. My desk at home though... lol. Here goes:

- A pink bean bag Tamigatchi. Cheesy
- A miniature metal slinky... still in its cute box.
- A head band with felt mouse ears on it that I made when I was the Door Mouse from Alice in Wonderland for a Wonderland themed tea party I went to with my friends in high school.
- A disposable camera of whose age I haven't the slightest idea. lol. Should finish it and see what the heck is on it!
- These crazy looking key fob caps that I bought at Borders. They are stylized/cartoonish cat heads. The one is pink with a teal masquerade mask and a yellow crown thing. The other is yellow-green with a navy blue ninja mask. They both have X's on their eyes like they are dead... they're strange looking, but I like them.
- Hot pink mittens.
- A lime green mug that says "Annual Kocher Pig Roast, July 26, 2008."
- A cigarette case that says "Cute as a Cupcake."

That's probably about it for "strange stuff." lol. Fun thread!

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: August 31, 2009, 08:57:45 am »

Over in the word disassociation thread, I mentioned I was running out of things on my desk to provide inspiration for my entries in the thread.  Shadow said she thought a thread on desk items would be scary, but I thought it would be sort of fun.

So.

Not really a desk, but the area where I sit, where my computer lives, contains, at this moment: a glass flower pot with candle.  Toothpaste.  Pet wormer.  A cube calendar that swears it is Wed. June 59th, a hair band, a measuring tape, a cone of black thread, with a needle sticking out, two tubes of lotion, a pair of sunglasses that need new nuts and bolts, two cameras, hair grips, a pillow case, children's liquid Benedryl, a bandana, a popcan with an incense stick propped in the top sitting on top of the incense burner (these ones are too thick to fit in the holder), an old screwdriver.  Super Glue.  A pair of tweezers, a set of allen wrenches, a syringe.  A packet of coffee flavoring stuff.  Plus various other small items that I need to sift through and put/throw away.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)