The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 05, 2020, 04:23:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2020, 04:23:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What went wrong?  (Read 5045 times)
omera
Apprentice
Last Login:November 29, 2009, 10:24:16 pm
United States United States

Religion: Wicca

New and Learning

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 28, 2009, 06:43:16 pm »

I tried grounding for the first time. It was on my couch in the living room, which was quiet and dark except for the sound of the air conditioner. I set some pillows up and lied against them, with my legs extended outward and my hands on my lap. I ended up falling asleep shortly after.

Harbringer of death and slaughter -
(next time round you'll be the slain)
Refuse the dying man your water -
(thirst when you come back again).
Don't spare the rod don't spoil the child -
(I hope you like to take a beating)
Feed your face while others starve -
(you'd better learn to not miss eating.) - Karma lesson from the song 'thread of evermore' by Skyclad.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: August 28, 2009, 09:56:37 pm »

Why do you think something went wrong?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
omera
Apprentice

New and Learning

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 28, 2009, 10:09:00 pm »

Why do you think something went wrong?
I didn't feel much different. I actually felt a little more cloudy-minded when I woke up.

(you'd better learn to not miss eating.) - Karma lesson from the song 'thread of evermore' by Skyclad.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: August 28, 2009, 10:16:34 pm »

How did you expect to feel?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
omera
Apprentice

New and Learning

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 28, 2009, 10:21:08 pm »

How did you expect to feel?
Lighter or heavier from the effects of being grounded.

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 28, 2009, 10:27:28 pm »

Lighter or heavier from the effects of being grounded.

I'm going to point out, personally, if I do anything laying down, I go to sleep. If I sleep for lessl than a certain amount of time, I'm foggy when I wake up.  I work nights, I'm chronically sleep deprived.

How long did you sleep for?

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: August 28, 2009, 10:33:21 pm »

I tried grounding for the first time.

In addition to what others have said about laying down and sleep, remember that grounding and other things take practice. Just like playing an instrument or doing alegbra, chances are good that you first try may not work well -- or work right at all.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
omera
Apprentice

New and Learning

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 28, 2009, 10:40:26 pm »

I'm going to point out, personally, if I do anything laying down, I go to sleep. If I sleep for lessl than a certain amount of time, I'm foggy when I wake up.  I work nights, I'm chronically sleep deprived.

How long did you sleep for?
I'd say an hour or less. It was brief.

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 29, 2009, 12:32:10 am »

I'm going to point out, personally, if I do anything laying down, I go to sleep.

Oh, yeah.  If I ground or meditate, it's critically important that I'm sitting up.  Otherwise I'm all sleepy-time.  Being vertical keeps you relaxed-but-alert.  Which is why all those monks use it.  Wink

Brina
littlebird
Apprentice
Last Login:February 14, 2011, 02:04:02 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 29, 2009, 12:58:17 am »

I have the same problem, but I have to keep some light on too because it just being too dark can put me to sleep. Which is ironic, because when I'm trying to fall asleep it takes forever.
What method of grounding were you using? Did you manage to get into a meditative state before nodding off?

Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 29, 2009, 01:12:49 am »

I tried grounding for the first time. It was on my couch in the living room, which was quiet and dark except for the sound of the air conditioner. I set some pillows up and lied against them, with my legs extended outward and my hands on my lap. I ended up falling asleep shortly after.

To me, this all sounds like preparation for a nap.

Grounding, for me anyways, is more active. Eating is probably the fastest and most convenient way to ground yourself. It brings all your body's energy and focus back to the center of the body (which is why fasting is one of the common ways to attain an altered state of consciousness). Smoking tobacco will do it, too, but most people aren't appreciative of being told to go smoke a cigarette.

Going outside and making a physical connection to the earth is another way to ground - feeling that solid stability under your feet. There's a pretty common grounding meditation involving visualizing and feeling yourself being a tree, firmly rooted in the ground, receiving nourishment from the earth and energy from the sun cycling through you & into the earth. You can also use a touchstone or piece of iron or other heavy metal to ground.

omera
Apprentice

New and Learning

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 29, 2009, 07:50:28 am »

To me, this all sounds like preparation for a nap.

Grounding, for me anyways, is more active. Eating is probably the fastest and most convenient way to ground yourself. It brings all your body's energy and focus back to the center of the body (which is why fasting is one of the common ways to attain an altered state of consciousness). Smoking tobacco will do it, too, but most people aren't appreciative of being told to go smoke a cigarette.

Going outside and making a physical connection to the earth is another way to ground - feeling that solid stability under your feet. There's a pretty common grounding meditation involving visualizing and feeling yourself being a tree, firmly rooted in the ground, receiving nourishment from the earth and energy from the sun cycling through you & into the earth. You can also use a touchstone or piece of iron or other heavy metal to ground.
My mother's boyfriend's dad Mark showed me a spot in the yard thats surrounded by large plants, and overall is the best place to meditate or ground in the yard that I can use today. And no, I didn't reach a meditated state last time. Mark himself said that takes practice.

Sine Silvering
Board Staff
Master Member
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:32:14 pm

Religion: priestess, Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 29, 2009, 02:56:18 pm »

Perzephone is pretty much correct.
Grounding isn't something that happens; it is something that you actively do when you are too filled with energy from a power-raising exercise or ritual.  I was taught, as a beginner, to go to my hands and knees on bare soil and push the extra energy back into the earth slowly, until I felt normal.  Once the sensation of returning power is familiar, one no longer needs to use one's hands; one learns to do it through the soles of one's feet, through shoes, through floors, until one can do it in the back seat of a car on the interstate.

Though many books list "ground and center" as the first step in preparing for ritual, in reality it is "center and ground."  First you locate the core of your SELF.  Then you connect it to the central core of the Earth beneath you, until you and the Earth are one. 

--------------
Blesséd Be!

When men speak ill of thee, live so as no one will believe them.
---Old Farmers Almanac, 1832
littlebird
Apprentice
Last Login:February 14, 2011, 02:04:02 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 29, 2009, 03:03:05 pm »

My mother's boyfriend's dad Mark showed me a spot in the yard thats surrounded by large plants, and overall is the best place to meditate or ground in the yard that I can use today. And no, I didn't reach a meditated state last time. Mark himself said that takes practice.

Meditative grounding isn't easy, and to many people completely impossible, if you aren't capable of reaching a meditative state. Physical grounding methods, such as taking a bath or running or eating, or even touching bare earth, are much easier for beginners.

Sine Silvering makes the other point I meant to add to my last post - centering is also a key to beginning energy work, and it seems for most people I've worked with centering is easier to learn because you're not trying to release or pull in energy from outside of yourself, you're just organizing the energy you already have and becoming focused.

omera
Apprentice

New and Learning

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 29, 2009, 06:42:12 pm »

Perzephone is pretty much correct.
Grounding isn't something that happens; it is something that you actively do when you are too filled with energy from a power-raising exercise or ritual.  I was taught, as a beginner, to go to my hands and knees on bare soil and push the extra energy back into the earth slowly, until I felt normal.  Once the sensation of returning power is familiar, one no longer needs to use one's hands; one learns to do it through the soles of one's feet, through shoes, through floors, until one can do it in the back seat of a car on the interstate.

Though many books list "ground and center" as the first step in preparing for ritual, in reality it is "center and ground."  First you locate the core of your SELF.  Then you connect it to the central core of the Earth beneath you, until you and the Earth are one. 
Explain what that core might be. Give an example.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)