The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 18, 2021, 08:20:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2021, 08:20:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Human Values  (Read 6080 times)
Entwife
Master Member
Last Login:February 24, 2015, 06:57:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan (Ecclectic? Green? Something along those lines)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: September 05, 2009, 06:57:02 pm »

We talk sometimes about values.  What we value, who we value, etc.

But looking honestly at your own life - what do you value in other people?  Not as relationship prospects necessarily - but what to you makes someone worth emulating?  Worth idol worship?  Is it money?  beauty?  Intelligence?  Who ranks higher to you - George Clooney or Stephen Hawking, and why?

What truly matters?  And why?

I value simple acts of kindness, honesty, thoughtfulness of other people and All Our Relations, conscientous behavoir, good humor (meaning a playful sense humor without a spiteful or mean edge, someone who is just as happy to laugh at themselves... as well as meaning those individuals who make the effort to lift someone else's spirits just because they noticed they were down)... Serenly balanced individuals whose even view and manner are like a balm to the overwrought and nervous are an absolute wonder. Equanimity is the word I'm searching for, I think.

I greatly admire someone who accepts themselves for who they are with open eyes, acknowledging the bad with the good; being comfortable and confident about who they are and willing to work on what needs change within the self is a wonderful example to set, in my opinion. Someone who knows how to keep their inner child healthy as well as choosing to behave as real adult as needed, instead of just thinking they are and choosing to behave in an unaware, childish manner. In general, anyone who is more concerned about their responsibilities than they are about their "rights" earns a lot of respect from me.

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." ~ Voltaire

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

silvercrone
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 16, 2010, 08:28:04 am

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: September 06, 2009, 11:41:05 pm »

.....looking honestly at your own life - what do you value in other people?  Not as relationship prospects necessarily - but what to you makes someone worth emulating?  Worth idol worship?  Is it money?  beauty?  Intelligence?  Who ranks higher to you - George Clooney or Stephen Hawking, and why?
I value kindness, intelligence (not necessarily an educated intellect, just a good, elastic intelligence), good-natured humor, and generosity of spirit.  I love persons who are easy in their own skins and who accept others for what they are, with minimal judgement.  I admire persons who live up to their own values. 
I don't worship anyone, but I have always greatly admired Joan Baez for her dedication to peace and for always putting her money where her mouth is, regardless of the consequences.
I don't admire persons because they have amassed considerable fortunes, but I often admire what they do with their money.
Beauty is pleasant to look upon, but so is a weathered, wonderful face that shows a lot of living.  I think that while I enjoy beauty, I prefer the look of character.
George Clooney?  eh....*shrugs*....only momentarily interesting.  Hawking?  Wow!  Not only for his extraordinary intellect, but for his depth of character and determination.

What truly matters?

No matter what I answer, I'm going to leave a lot out.....so I'll just throw out a few things that come to mind.....honesty, sincerity, kindness, living for something beyond one's self, integrity......

Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: September 07, 2009, 02:36:57 pm »

But looking honestly at your own life - what do you value in other people?  Not as relationship prospects necessarily - but what to you makes someone worth emulating?  Worth idol worship?  Is it money?  beauty?  Intelligence?

All those things I see in other people that I wish I could pull off in myself but just find it too difficult to do. Things like being honestly comfortable just being oneself; having the dedication to really focus on and follow through with things; living 100% in the moment and just enjoying life as it is. I respect these attributes precisely because I find them the most difficult to emulate.

Who ranks higher to you - George Clooney or Stephen Hawking, and why?

It's so hard to really judge them from this distance. I am personally more interested in Stephen Hawking's many achievements, but if George Clooney is pursuing the career that makes him happy and allows him to bring the greatest possible enjoyment to other people, then good for him.

That at the end of it all one can truly look back with the 20/20 vision of hindsight and say they don't regret a thing. That they don't regret who they were born or what they chose to do with that, and that they don't feel they wasted a moment of it. Of course, that's an ideal, but there are some people who just seem comfortable enough in themselves and their lives that you suspect that that would be pretty much how they see life. Make any sense?

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Odjn
Master Member
Last Login:March 09, 2011, 09:12:20 am

Religion: Supreme Skeptic

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: September 07, 2009, 06:33:21 pm »

But looking honestly at your own life - what do you value in other people?

Pretty much what most people value and that, I suppose, would be basic decency, common courtesy and some modicum of normalcy.

Who ranks higher to you - George Clooney or Stephen Hawking, and why?

Neither. They are just people. Just because Clooney is an actor (He IS an actor, right?) doesn't make him special nor does Hawkings being a scientist elevate him. No matter what anyone does, we are all just people. Naturally the afore mentioned people worked hard at getting where they are at. They have attained a level of information that not everyone has but like I said, they are human just like any one of us.

Don't forget, once the chess game is over, we all go back into the same box.

but what, to you, makes someone worth emulating?

Nothing. I can appreciate the aspects of another but why would I emulate them? Then I would no longer be attempting to be myself but trying to be someone else.

Philosophically speaking, nothing. But I suppose what matters is just being basically decent and not going out of ones way to deliberately cause harm.

treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: September 07, 2009, 10:06:02 pm »

Nothing. I can appreciate the aspects of another but why would I emulate them? Then I would no longer be attempting to be myself but trying to be someone else.

Although, it's also arguable that someone's choice of what they admire and wish to emulate in others is a reflection of their character. That would explain why we like different things in different people.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #20: September 09, 2009, 05:28:29 am »

The main things that matter to me are:-
Family and friends because without them, what is the point?
Honesty because I would rather hear harsh truth than velvet lies, and finally:-
The happiness of those dear to me, because if everyone close to you are happy and content, you will be too.

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Stitchii
Apprentice
Last Login:November 02, 2009, 03:41:46 pm
El Salvador El Salvador

Religion: Pagan

My Essence On the World

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: September 11, 2009, 01:27:22 am »

But looking honestly at your own life - what do you value in other people?  Not as relationship prospects necessarily - but what to you makes someone worth emulating?  Worth idol worship?  Is it money?  beauty?  Intelligence?  Who ranks higher to you - George Clooney or Stephen Hawking, and why?
Nobody ranks higher than me in my world, but in the world of so many values I think I rank as low as can be haha. Don't take it as low self-esteem, but I am blunt, selfish, reckless, detached, incontrollable, sensitive, proud, and so on. These are not good personality traits. But, what I value in people is harmony or tolerance.

Since I am not the most ideal person, I will say this as carefully as I can. What matters is yourself. I have tried to change, but it's only hurt me. What matters is to love yourself, and more importantly, fall in love with your flaws. Stay true to yourself. Don't bring yourself down because others think you're a failure or delusional. People react badly because its different, which is perfectly okay. Until they force you to change. Not okay. March to the rhythm of your OWN beat. The only thing that sets limits is the wiccan rede. Harm none. I don't harm anyone. If they get offended by my stance then that's their problem. It shouldn't be anyone's business what you do with yourself. Not even family and friends. Oh crap, I'm being blunt, aren't I? Well, coexist by being yourself and non-argumentative or narrow-minded. Open your mind beyond its limits.That is what I value. Coexist. Be ALL yourself, flaws and all.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)