Maybe you always wanted a feature that isn't available in the latest release of Wordpress. What you can do is either install a 3rd party plugin or write your own custom code to extend the features of Wordpress.
Wordpress plugins are programming code that enhance the features of a standard installation of Wordpress. A well written plugin will be basically "drag and drop" without modifying the core code of Wordpress. As Wordpress has been designed in a modular way, plugins allow you to customize your site to your specific needs without modifying the core of Wordpress. Ever since Wordress version 1.2 plugins have been available. Wordpress plugins can be categorized according to the feature it provides. Here a list of various features that you can implement for your web site through Wordpress plugins.
- Administration: Install Wordpress plugins to customize features like Admin Tools, Anti-spam, Comments, Meta, Restriction, Statistics, Syntax Highlighting, Syndication, Tweaking, etc.
- Design, Layout and Styles: Change the look and feel of your blog by implementing plugins that modify Archive, Calendar - Event, Navigation, Randomness, Styles.
- Graphics, Video, and Sound: Add plugins that create Audio - Mood and Images for your blog.
- Posts: Implement plugins for Editing Posts, Formatting Posts, and other Miscellaneous Post related issues.
- Links: Setup Wordpress plugins that change the default behavior of linking.
- Miscellaneous: You can install miscellaneous plugins that shows weather information or other outside information from external websites.
Installing a plugin for Wordpress is not difficult. Here are the list of steps that you need to take to install most plugins. Some plugins may require additional steps.
- Upload your plugin to the wp-content/plugins folder
- Go to your Wordpress site using a browser and login
- Click on the Plugins link from the main menu at top
- Scroll down the list of available plugins to find the plugin you just uploaded
- Click "Activate" to make your plugin active Wordpress Plugin Sites
We found the following sites with a comprehensive list of Wordpress Plugins:
Dreamhost offers high-quality, low cost web hosting with a dedication to free speech.
· unlimited web space
· 50 gigs personal file space
· unlimited bandwidth
· unlimited email boxes (POP3/IMAP)
· unlimited ftp/shell accounts
· unlimited domains/subdomains
· php5, cgi, python, fastcgi, ssi
· zend optimizer, ruby on rails
· unlimited MySQL 5 databases
· announcement lists
· discussion (aka mailing) lists
· Jabber server, Custom DNS
· Crontab and Shell access
· Web-based Control Panel
· One-Click installs of the Wordpress blog & others
· 1 free domain name
· helpful tech support
· 100% Uptime Guarantee
· and much more!
All for $10.95 a month with a $49.95 setup fee (pay for a year in advance for $9.95 a month and there is no setup fee). Pay two years in advance and the price drops to $8.95 a month. (And there is a 97 day money back guarantee!)
Click here to read why we've hosted with Dreamhost.
Do you have questions about web design or web hosting? Would you like to talk with fellow Pagans about web design? The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's message board has a special folder set aside for discussions about |
Computers and the Internet
(Click to Join Us. It's Free.)